Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS landing gear - How to connect to SYS3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: FDS landing gear - How to connect to SYS3 Reply with quote

Hi,
started to interface the MIP to the SYS3 module yesterday and WOW, - this is so easy that even I manage to get switches and lights to work. A great product the SYS boards. However, more and more questions are emerging as work are progressing. Here's another question for all you "gurus" out here: Very Happy

When I imported the "landing gear" functin into SYS3, I noticed that the function contains two actions, UP and DOWN. Does this mean you have to solder the two push-switches on the landing gear in paralell to the same input ?

Thanks
Morten
vidarf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morten, du bruker 2 inputs - en for gear up og en for gear down. Når ingen av dem er aktivert, står gearlever i center.
Dersom du starter simmen med gearlever opp, blir det bare rot når du setter den rette veien. Smile

Guys, I just told Morten that he needed to use 2 inputs to tell if the lever is in the up, down or middle position.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Counter Reply with quote

At risk of getting into a debate everytime I post....
SteveW wrote the XMLs for our SYS setup and can use one to do the job.
You can also download the B747 Landing Gear XMLS that Jon Boe did as he shows it with dedicated up and down XMLs.
For those that have not used the boards or software I would ask that you hold tight on specifics. I value input from those that are out here and watch with a great deal of happiness how people can work on these setups together.
SteveW. Please comment on the approach you took for the Landing Gear. Not understood here I think.
PC
morten

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Vidar,
thanks for reply. I was aware of the two switches, and it was also my understanding that two inputs should be used. What confused me was the XML input to SYS3.

I will try Peters suggestion and download landing gear files for the 747.

Br
Morten
SWeker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Gents,

Here's my theory on the whole landing gear lever thing:

I could not find any value for my simulator to have FS recognize the gear handle in an 'Up' position (bare with me) or the gear handle in an 'Off' position. The important aspect for me was, when I lower the landing gear lever, FS will recognize 'Gear Down' and when the handle is in any other state (Up or Off), instruct FS to raise the gear.

So the obvious question is, why don't I care about FS recognizing when I move the gear handle to the up position? Well I do, but I found a much easier solution that didn't require wiring up two switches and also tying up another SYS3 board port. Using only one switch, I simply programmed InterfaceIT to recognize two gear handle states. (1) When the gear lever is lowered, it closes the switch and turns it to an 'ON' state. This will therefore lower the FS gear. (2) When the gear lever is not in the down position, and the switch is in an 'off' state, InterfaceIT raises the landing gear within FS.

So the question you may also be asking yourself is, why don't you care about the gear lever 'Off' position. I could not find any offset or real value in a simulator for this state. In the real world, the 'Off' position cuts hydralic power/pressure to the landing gear. So......why would you need that in a simulator?

If you do go with my XML file, keep in mind that you have to wire the upper switch on the FlightDeck Solutions landing gear lever. I got tripped up the first time and wired up the lower switch, but that actually toggles that switch on when the gear lever is in the up position (reverse of what you want)

Hopefully that made sense....if not, post a reply and I'll try to clarify.

Cheers, Steve
morten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,
thanks for clearifying. Makes perfect sense to me. The only thing is that the gear will rize even when the gear lever is in the off position,... but that's a minor issue. Very Happy

Morten
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject: Logic Reply with quote

The only time you would ever have the Lever in the OFF position is when the gear IS in the UP position. I think that is part of Steve's logic.
Steve is trying to save inputs. you can go the other route and wire up up and dn states. You end up in the same place though.
PC
vidarf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, that was actually a very neat solution! Saving inputs is ALLWAYS a good thing.
This is what I love about this hobby: Sharing ideas and learning new stuff all the time. GREAT! Smile
dcutugno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish to point out that, when you move the lever and it is phisically in transit the gear start to move up, even you don't put the landing gear in the up position.
So the Start Gear up sequence must be initiated only when the switch-up position is toggled (phisically the lever reach up position).

So the point is, i will cartainly use another input. What we need is a logic:
If then else....

bye.
SWeker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcutugno,

Your point is valid. Each builder has there own preference, and Jon Boe's 747 XML file will probably be more of what you're after.

I would like to say in closing however, that the time necessary to raise the gear lever is not seconds, in reality it's milli-seconds. As pilot in command or pilot monitoring, there is so much happening during that time, the "early" transition of gear isn't even noticed. In fact, by the time FS realizes the lever is not in the down position and the LED's change from green to red, the lever is already in the up position. This is NOT a lag with InterfaceIT or any software for that matter, its just the time needed to recognize the change, process the change, react to the change, and indicate the change. There are alot of components that talk.....FSUIPC, InterfaceIT, FS, etc. Any time variance is not noticable.

Regardless, the great thing about InterfaceIT is that it gives you the flexibility to do with as you want. Give it shot, if you don't like it, take it a step further and wire the second switch.

Good luck and have fun with it! Steve
Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stepping in here to make a brief comment, but alas, without any real experience, so take my comment with a grain of salt...

Isnt the purpose of the gear handle to simply pull the legs up once a positive rate of climb is established? Why cant it be just one switch , mounted closely to the lever to eliminate the need for two? I realize that this may be hard to do if it's a gear lever with a center 'OFF' position, but other than that, for most a/c, one switch (UP or DOWN) will work fine, right?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
morten

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's theory works fine. I use now the one XML file downloaded for 737, using one input.

Morten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: