Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

777 Project!! Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwbalmer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: 777 Project!! Help! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Ok - let's get a few things straight !!

I am about to embark on building a B777 pit @ home and am starting from scratch!!!! I recently got hold of 2 control columns, and flightdeck seats from a recently retired B727, so this lot is being stripped down and rebuilt as I type in preparation for the rest of the pit!

Now here comes the queries!! Smile Excuse the lame ones!!

1. If I go down the B777 panel route, will 2x17" TFTs, and 1x 21" CRT suffice? (I am about to get 2 19" TFTs within a month or so too)

2. I currently have 4 PCs on a LAN @ home, and a full copy of the P.Magenta Boeing software, which might just come in handy! - 4 PCs should be enough yes?

3. If I start getting and building the FDS panels, what is the best way to hook them all up to the PCs - EPIC etc.?

4. Has anybody here linked up real control columns to their PCs? If so , where on earth do you start? LOL !!

Sorry to make this a long post, but hey!!

Hope to hear from some of you soon - I can't wait to get stuck into this little lot!!!

Surprised Shocked Surprised

Administrator, Screenshotworld.com
Member of the Bentwaters Aviation Society
Volunteer at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 777 Project!! Help! Reply with quote

cwbalmer wrote:
Hi all,

Now here comes the queries!! Smile Excuse the lame ones!!

1. If I go down the B777 panel route, will 2x17" TFTs, and 1x 21" CRT suffice? (I am about to get 2 19" TFTs within a month or so too)

No such thing as "lame" questions. Lame questions are the ones not asked!

2. I currently have 4 PCs on a LAN @ home, and a full copy of the P.Magenta Boeing software, which might just come in handy! - 4 PCs should be enough yes?

Great setups (Two seat Sims) should probably have:
Powerhouse Computer for Visuals
PIII 700+ for the PFD/ND Capt
PIII 700+ for the FO side
PIII 500+ for the EICAS
CDU and MCP modules would be best served to have something of their own if you can. The CDU and MCP would be in the background but there is a lot of data flow.
This is my take. Bob Reed is lurking in here alot and his opinion (Being part of the PM support team) would be worth alot more than mine!

3. If I start getting and building the FDS panels, what is the best way to hook them all up to the PCs - EPIC etc.?

This is open.. So many options
EPIC (If you are up to learning.. its going to take you the furthest)
FS BUS (Great setup.. Freeware)
intefaceIT (In progress. seems like forever but simple to configure, very intuitive..)
Keyboard encoders can do alot and should be used where possible. CDU.. anything with keyboard only interaction required

4. Has anybody here linked up real control columns to their PCs? If so , where on earth do you start? LOL !!

This is going to be no different than any control device. Dual Axis ..
100K pots and mechanism to connect.
It sounds simple but the basic goal is .. move the yokes back and forth.. one pot needs to move back and forth. Side to side.. same..
Cantilevers. S. Cos taught me this one.. A pivot point that is not equal on either side and allows something like a Yoke with a long throw to connect to something like the Pot that might be short throw... Same for the other axis.. If you need more info I can try to draw what Steve did with the real Rudder pedals we used in the A320Project. that worked like a dream. Hard to believe that the tiny little Pot could handle being anywhere near the monstrous pedals.. worked perfectly..
Calibrating was done via FSUIPC.
PC

Sorry to make this a long post, but hey!!

Hope to hear from some of you soon - I can't wait to get stuck into this little lot!!!

Surprised Shocked Surprised
[b][/b
cwbalmer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!

thanks for this.....

I am fine PC wise then......easy to get more decent ones for next to nothing - I will probably use some of these "shuttle" PCs due to their size!

as for running it all, I suspect interfaceIT or FSBus will be the way for me - I dont have the time for Epic, what with working and family etc.!!

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bob Reed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC is dead on with the machine specs. You already have the PM software so you can do tests. His machine specs are actually a little high but as time goes on better to be ahead of the game. I run my MCP on a machine that is running Qmap and Whazzup and the CDU with my ECAIS. If you are going to build a working CDU it would be better to put it on itís own machine and use a keyboard encoder for the keyboard matrix.
cwbalmer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironically my lowest specced PC is a P4 2.4Ghz.....!!! should have no issues there I hope.....

Does anyone think that 2x17 and 1x21 screens will be enough?

I have now committed myself to starting with the MIP and working back from there.......(leaving the fiddly encoders etc. till last!!)

Now to get some 777 pit dimensions!!

Thanks guys - some invaluable advice here that i REALLY appreciate!

Chris.

Bob Reed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The monitors depend on the cases for them. They go behind the MIP and can get in the way of the switches and so forth. So you will need to get with PC to tell for sure. What he normally does is some tweaking to the MIP to make it all work out. 3 mon should be enough for the MIP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: