Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIP dimming architecture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalApproach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: MIP dimming architecture Reply with quote

Happy holidays everybody!

lighting ambience is one of the key factors in the immersive simulation experience.
There is a total of 18 dimming controls in the 737NG cockpit (correct me if I'm wrong).

I have some questions regarding the dimming options of the MIP in particular and the appropriate hardware architecture.
Altogether there are 10 dimmers on the (lower subpanels of the) MIP:

CPT-side:

Main Panel (left + center)
Background
AFDS Flood

Outbd DU
Inbd DU
Upper DU
Lower DU

F/O-side:

Main Panel (right)

Inbd DU
Outbd DU

DU-dimming:

There are 6 DU's on the MIP. In another thread in this Forum (February 2012) it is described how to dim the DUs using pots, the FDS-FC1 interface and FSUIPC.
Has anyone done this in combination with ProSim737?
Since FDS and probably most builders use a single 19" LCD for the PFD and ND they cannot be dimmed seperately (I don't think there is the possibility of zone-dimming on a single screen, is there?).
Since the FDS-FC1 has eight axes, one interface should do for the entire MIP.

MIP-dimming:

All the other panel-dimming is probably somewhat easier with the available hardware-options.

What exactly do I need to be able to seperately dim the 4 remaining dimmable sections of the MIP?

1.)
Is it correct to assume that I would need 2 FDS-IBL-DIST-DIM for the panels, furthermore 2 FDS-12V-DIMMER for the Background and the AFDS?

2.)
Where does the FDS-IBL-DIST fit into the whole setup?
Do I need to connect the FDS-IBL-DIST as a starting point to the power unit and from there connecting two FDS-IBL-DIST-DIM-units between the IBL-panels and the FDS-IBL-DIST?

3.)
Is it advisable to use a standard Computer Power Supply as a standalone unit for the electrical power needs or could it be connected to the power unit of one of the PCs used?

Thank you very much!

btw: Could it be that the FDS Cpt. lower MIP dimming control subpanel differs from the standard issue on the 737? On flightdeck pictures I have studied there are four little knobs/pots (for PFD / ND / upper EICAS / lower EICAS) and one larger knob/pot for main panel brightness. On the FDS-panel there is a large knob for the upper EICAS (UPPER DU BRT) with a large half-circle just as with the the Main Panel Bright-knob.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Bill Bulfer's 737 Cockpit Companion?

All dimming functions are explained in this book.

From looking at the ProSim Forum it looks like they have the dimming functions. Have not used ProSim but we do have a Demo version we will be setting up on a JetMax in 2013.

On dimming the PFD or ND you are actually controlling the software not the actual LCD screen. So it is possible to dim each display. Works perfectly in Sim-Avionics with our FC-1.

Panel dimming:

MIP requires 2 x FDS-IBL-DIST-DIM (1 for each side)

Pedestal requires 1 x FDS-IBL-DIST-DIM and a FDS-IBL-DIST-EXP

OH requires 1 x FDS-IBL-DIST-DIM and 2 x FDS-IBL-DIST-EXP (will cover the OH and AFT OH)

* using the FDS-IBL-DIST-DIM/EXP replaces the IBL-DIST-Boards. The mounting holes match the older IBL-DIST Boards so an easy upgrade.

Use a separate PSU to provide 5V and 12V. Use a good quality PSU with 800 watt or higher output. 30 amps for 5V's is recommended.

The dual pots on the Lower DU and INBD DU are for dimming the display and dimming the WX radar. (Refer to Bill Bulfer's manual) This includes the F/O INBD DU as well.

Once the software catches up we will add to the hardware. We are always updating.

Steve
FinalApproach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the quick reply.
I understand now there is no need for the IBL-DIST-Board at all if using the IBL-DIST-DIM-boards (with EXP-units where necessary).

Regarding the differences I have noticed:

I was not referring to the WX-radar controls.
There are two rectangular dimming panels next to each other on the lower subpanel of the Cpt. MIP.
The left panel has 4 dimming-pots (+1 for the MIP backlighting) for the 4 DU's controlled from this panel:

PFD, ND, upper EICAS, lower EICAS

Why has a different style pot been chosen for the upper EICAS on the FDS-panel?
All other Displays, including the F/O PFD + ND are controlled/dimmed by the smaller type pots (as on the real 737). Furthermore there is this backlit half-circle around the pot that can usually only be found around the AFDS/Background/Main dimmers, not with dimmers controlling displays (at least on the pics I found on 'airliners').

I know this might be annoying nitpicking and I apologize for that.
Maybe there is a good reason, I would just like to comprehend.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am referring to the DU dimmers and they have dual knobs and dim the WX Radar on the ND and Lower DU.

See the Bill Bulfer book.
GDR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can we dim the displays using the pots using sim-a? Any additional HW required? ...

What goes up, must eventually come down!
http://www.flightsim737ng.be
jskibo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDR wrote:
How can we dim the displays using the pots using sim-a? Any additional HW required? ...

Joystick card, either the FDS one or one of your choosing. It reads the pot inputs and the axis can be assigned a dimming function.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FC1 has to be connected to the PC that is running the Sim-A Server. Info in the I/O pages of the Server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: