Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NGX CDU Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melonsuti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: NGX CDU Setup Reply with quote

Hi captains,

Finally I'm a proud FDS PRO-MX CDU owner. Once CDU software installed and the CDU tested and verified that everything is running as expected, I've installed the PMDG module as I'll use the CDU with NGX. My problem came up when I have to drag and drop the windowed NGX CDU screen into the FDS CDU. While the window is in one of the displays connected to the ATi 6870 graphic card, all data is displayed on the window but when I drag the window into the FDS CDU and drop it, all the data dissapear. Only after MANY times doing drag 'n drop (36 times I've done), I can see the data in the FDS CDU and is when I can start to program the FMC for the flight.

The CDU is connected to the motherboard VGA output, 800x600 resolution set and the values modified in panel.ini in PMDG folder inside FSX root folder. I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Ivan Lewis

P.S: My motherboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to watch with PMDG and similar "desktop" avionics software, when you click on the image it is designed to go back to its original place.
We have used PMDG on our JetMax set up in the office with no issues like this. Many people are using. Sounds like you may be positioning and then clicking one time too many.
I would work n positioning, then save the flight/state.
Peter
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
Melonsuti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is shouldn't be an issue. In fact it isn't. Just is very uncomfortable deal with that before each flight. Will save the state and will let know how it went.

Thanks for your response, Peter

Ivan Lewis
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important to remember when you use software designed for "desktop" that they never intended it to do what you are trying to do. It can be done but some learning up front. Many happy PMDG users enjoying our CDU though. Can work.
Peter
Melonsuti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
Many happy PMDG users enjoying our CDU though. Can work.
Peter

I know that. That's why I'm looking the mistake I'm doing in order to avoid it. Please, I know the following could sounds silly but could any NGX user, tell me their routine prior to do a flight using the CDU?

Thanks in advance

Ivan Lewis
Melonsuti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bother.

Anybody here with PMDG NGX + FDS CDU configuration?? (desktop version, NOT JetMax). I really need some help!!
Thanks
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JetMax product line uses the FDS PRO-MX CDU. No difference.
Not sure anyone has a magic answer for you.... My feeling based on using NGX here during texting is that you may be clicking on the CDU display and sending it back to the default position.
How did you modify your panel.cfg? Followed our guide?
Peter
Melonsuti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
The JetMax product line uses the FDS PRO-MX CDU. No difference.
Not sure anyone has a magic answer for you.... My feeling based on using NGX here during texting is that you may be clicking on the CDU display and sending it back to the default position.
How did you modify your panel.cfg? Followed our guide?
Peter

Thanks Peter for your quickly response. Here is what I've done and do prior to fly:

1.) Install the required software following step by step your guide (First FDS-CDU Controller software and then the PMDG module)

2.) Once this done, I've modified the panel.cfg file within PMDG 737-800NGX panel folder.

3.) Connect physically the CDU to the computer (USB, VGA and power cables). Open CDU Controller and test it via Test Module from the drop down menu. All keys, backlighting and screen works perfect.

4.) Time to test it within NGX environment: Open FSX (Windowed Mode), load NGX. Back to CDU Controller and asign the CDU to the Captain and save. Back to FSX and click on the NGX CDU. The window open OK, the try to position it into the FDS CDU and here is when the problems appear. Each time I try to put the NGX CDU window into FDS CDU, the letters dissapear. Just after MANY attempt, the letters appears again and I can use the FDS CDU.

Sorry for so long post and Thanks
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are clicking on the screen by accident and losing the pop up.
Check and see on the 2D PMDG panel.... Something is not right but here the CDU is not the issue... Quite sure on that.
Perhaps email me a few small jpegs this week.
Not sure anyone can help if its related to mouse clicks you are making. It is all I can think of.. When it works, I think you are doing it right.
I never found it difficult to set up the LCD with the NGX.
I understand the frustration but this is not a hardware issue.
Peter
Melonsuti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also think that is not a CDU issue. Maybe a graphics problem...as you said, is very frustrating since the times I've been able to use the CDU, I really had enjoy. I just was looking for someone with the same problem to know how it got solved. Will send you pics. Thanks for such awesome support!!

Ivan Lewis
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good example here where when people post.... The subject header should mention the product that is involved. Example here would be: "PMDG NGX/CDU setup help needed".
Several times posted asking for help here but the subject does not help. Many PMDG users may have gone right by this thread.
Peter
DaddyBooks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone else with the same issue? Reply with quote

Melonsuti wrote:
My problem came up when I have to drag and drop the windowed NGX CDU screen into the FDS CDU. While the window is in one of the displays connected to the ATi 6870 graphic card, all data is displayed on the window but when I drag the window into the FDS CDU and drop it, all the data dissapear.

Hello Ivan...

I've had similar problems with windows with PMDG NGX. Once the windows content disappears, try reloading your PMDG panel state.

Because you will not be able to see the Captain's CDU window, I have used the First Officer's CDU from the virtual cockpit to reset the displays.
    SETUP>
    STATE LOAD>
    Locate and Line Select the panel state for the current aircraft or saved flight.
    EXEC
At that point, flight display windows should all reset.

Let me know if this works for you and good luck!

...Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: