Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground Power Configuration (Resolved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAReed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Ground Power Configuration (Resolved) Reply with quote

New SSTD with some FDS upgrades user. I am frustrated and have a question regarding proper ground power configuration/utilization from cold and dark start. I can enable external power from Dispatcher Console and the Ground Power light illuminates. When I switch ON, I am getting a temporary ground power feed (AC/DC Metering Panel indicates proper voltage available), but then it immediately kicks off. Battery drain horn then sounds continuously. Only way to continue is to start APU and place online. The BAT switch is confirmed ON when performing this process - I know if that is off it terminates the process. I've searched forum and as much on line 73 documentation as I can find, but everything I've read makes it sound foolproof, and I can't seem to find a solution for this. I'm sure its new guy ignorance - but has anyone had/resolved this issue? And if the solution is: here's a great recommendation for bed time educational reading (which of course won't be because I'll try to replicate everything I read), that's fine too! Thanks, I'm very excited to join this community!
Garys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirm
Bus transfer switch is Auto,
Standby Power switch is Auto,
Battery Switch is On
Ground Power Available

Now put ground power switch to on - Same thing happens?
DAReed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, yes, same thing happens.

Bus transfer switch is Auto, Standby Power switch is Auto, Battery Switch is On, Ground Power Available in Dispatcher Console both Primary and Secondary External. When Primary is selected, I get an illuminated GRD Power Available light, when I switch GRD PWR on I get 40 Amp/112 Volt reading in AC/DC Metering Panel, but as soon as switch releases both go back to 0, the Primary External selection on Disp Cont turns off, and shortly thereafter BAT Discharge warning horn sounds. Tried selecting primary only, secondary only, and both with same results.

This issue is not a showstopper by any means, but from what I've read, I thought GRD Power was a simple foolproof connection. I'm still hoping I'm missing something very simple due to ignorance or lack of research.

Running FSX, Sim-Av 1.582, ASN, FDS Trim Controller, Sound Client on both FS and Avionics computer - and obviously Dispatcher Control for External Connections.
Garys

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your not doing anything wrong but perhaps this post is relevant http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5339&highlight=ground+power

With ground power available that blue annunciator will always be on regardless if you have powered up the aircraft or not, so I'm not sure why when turning on the ground power switch on the overhead that it triggers the external power to go off. Perhaps that's by design in the dispatcher console but I would double check your switch assignments to make sure you aren't accidently triggering another function of this switch.

Also do you have your IRS switches in the Nav/Align positions? The ground call warning you hear is not a battery discharge horn. When ground power drops off the aircraft with the battery switch in the on position and with the IRS switches in the Align/NAV positions you will get this Alarm, however if the IRS switches are in the OFF position and ground power drops offline, you will silently drain the batteries until they need to be replaced.
DAReed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued thanks!

Confirmed Force All Systems ON is unchecked and Start with IRS Aligned is checked on Server Control Panel. As far as I can tell switch settings make logical sense, haven't changed them from Installation Assignment settings.

And horn explanation makes much more sense too, thanks there! I know - read the manuals!

I'll continue to tweak and/or apply workarounds!
MarkHastings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

My guess would be that the Ground Power switch is incorrectly assigned in the SYSController.

You should move the Switch to ON
Let go
Press Assign next to GND PWR ON

Then move the Switch to OFF
Let go
Press Assign next to GND PWR OFF

No 'OFF' Events are required on this switch.

You can also monitor the switch actions in the - Switch / LED Monitor Tab

[/img]
DAReed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, you are amazing as always!

This seems to have corrected the issue. Somewhere in my infinite wisdom I must have decided to assign GND PWR Connected, Disconnected and Toggle Available - although I don't know when, how or why I would have elected to do this. Another mystery of life, LOL.

Let's call this one completely solved!

One last question (for now): Is there a master Sim-A manual that explains or describes the cause/effect for each input/output option listed in SysBoard Controller or is this buried in the Boeing flight manual documentation? Might help with my inane questions.

Guys, all in all, thanks ever so much!!!!
Jetcos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always recommended to any B737 Sim pilot is Bill Bulfer's iPad App "Boeing 737 Cockpit Companion". Hours of reading and discovery. Every B737 Simmer should have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: