Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS-SYS ground wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: FDS-SYS ground wiring Reply with quote

Hello,

My FDS Sys board wiring is a mess and I would like to clean it up and make it neat.

I read from one of Peters post it is possible to loop the grounds together - woud this mean wiring each ground from the set of 8 to another ground in another 8 and so on?

Would all the ground input wires connect to one main ground wire which leads off to the loop?

Does anyone have a photo of their setup showing this example?

Thank you.

Ben
Jammur

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben

Yes this is possible for example I looped 7 switches on the 777...
1.strobe
2. Turn off L
3. Turn off R
4. Taxi
5. Landing L
6. Landing R
7. Landing C

So what I did was solder a loop onto all the grounds on these switches and then attached the single GND to the the FDS board set of 8 strip... As long as they are linked together they will all share the same GND this saves a ton of space in the board doing it this way.

Jamie
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Jamie -- from my understanding it would also be possible just to make a pigtail of all the grounds, and connect it to all the input ground wires.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works on Inputs and Outputs up to 8 per 10 pin connector on the SYS Card.
Do NOT cross connect other switches or LED's from other 10 pin connectors.

On your MIP the 3 Autobrake switches could be wired with the 2 L/Gear (Up and Down) and the FAN, FO TERR on ND and NWS for example can be wired with 1 common ground. 1 wire from the 10 pin connector straight to the first switch and jumpered to the next switch and so on.

LED's are a little different when you have Upper and Lower LED's, so you need to work that out number wise.
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetcos wrote:
Works on Inputs and Outputs up to 8 per 10 pin connector on the SYS Card.
Do NOT cross connect other switches or LED's from other 10 pin connectors.

On your MIP the 3 Autobrake switches could be wired with the 2 L/Gear (Up and Down) and the FAN, FO TERR on ND and NWS for example can be wired with 1 common ground. 1 wire from the 10 pin connector straight to the first switch and jumpered to the next switch and so on.

LED's are a little different when you have Upper and Lower LED's, so you need to work that out number wise.

Yes, cheers -- I should have done that to begin with. Now I have lots of excess black (ground) wire running around!

I actually haven't soldered the grounds yet -- just connected them onto a screw in terminal -- don't want to solder around inside the MIP, will be messy, so perhaps I can crimp the cables together?
MistyBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if FDS is still offering wiring harnesses for purchase but I'd HIGHLY recommend buying one if so. After hearing how long it was taking people to wire theirs and looking at the spaghetti I had in front of me I said the hell with it and had them make me one. Everything the right length, nicely bundled, and connectors all numbered to correspond to their MIP hardware numbering. Just plug it in and go! Trust me, it's absolutely worth the cost, if just to save your sanity!
Jetcos

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comment, we did only make the more common B737. We have not done any for the other types at this time.
FlyMan

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MistyBlue wrote:
Not sure if FDS is still offering wiring harnesses for purchase but I'd HIGHLY recommend buying one if so. After hearing how long it was taking people to wire theirs and looking at the spaghetti I had in front of me I said the hell with it and had them make me one. Everything the right length, nicely bundled, and connectors all numbered to correspond to their MIP hardware numbering. Just plug it in and go! Trust me, it's absolutely worth the cost, if just to save your sanity!

I agree with you. I bought earlier this harness from FDS and was happy to quickly and easily make a connection for my MIP. It's really simple and clear, and only the import INI file to Sim-A and everything works!Wink
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MistyBlue wrote:

Yes, I would have been happy to purchase one if they offered one but at this stage I think they only offer the harness for the 737 DTSD, Jetmax range.

Thats alright...I only spent 2 months wiring it up, now I'm good at soldering Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: