Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

65" TV for display

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flyboy2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: 65" TV for display Reply with quote

Now that I've finally upgraded to P3D V4.1, I want to take advantage of higher resolutions than my Optoma 1080P short-throw projector can provide from my Nvidia 1080 video card. I'm running a 64 bit i7 PC with 16GB ram for P3D (a 2nd computer runs Sim-A). The current pricing on Samsung and Sony 65" HDR TV's is very attractive. Are there any opinions about such a TV being suitable as a display for P3D V4.1?

Thanks,
Gordon
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: 4K Samsungs Reply with quote

Hi Gordon,

I run three 75" Samsung 4k's and they are fine for P3D4.1. Here are some of my videos using Samsung monitors, hope this help with your decision.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqTiCN9u_pvyU9NTqhtgJ9w
Flyboy2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Michael, I just ordered a 65" Sony to replace my 2 year-old short-throw projector based on your response - U$1500 from Amazon. Also found good reviews for the Sony XBR65X900E at RTing.com as being a good mid-price gaming HDR TV.

Your videos are excellent BTW.

Thanks,
Gordon
belisba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems as if you are contemplating a move over the TV monitors instead of staying with projection. I struggled (and still do some) with my decision to go with a two projector solution.

There are advantages to both, for example, by mounting my Optima Projectors just above my cockpit on the ceiling I am able to use the projector speakers as my audio output device when using Active Sky. A nice feature I didn't initially expect.

My general feeling is that TVs will be a bigger pull on your GPU/CPU performance but the eye-candy resolutions may be worth the tweaking.
If I were doing an enclosed cockpit, I'd probably go with TVs, but with my open cockpit, I like the screen area projection provides and I find myself not dealing with stutters or having any shimmering issues at mid-range settings.

Ultimately, either solution is doable, but my main reason for avoiding TVs was due to my space requirements and projection worked best. See http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6126&highlight=

Brad-Texas
belisba

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw your post minutes before mine. Good luck in your setup and keep us informed on how things are going!

Brad-Texas
Flyboy2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brad
I also have a very confined space for my Jetmax but with the OH, I can't see a large portion of my 100" projector display on the wall screen so it begs the question as to why use a projector if one cannot see all of the display image without having to crane your neck around the post of the OH. Also I want to take advantage of the higher 4K resolution now available from P3D V4; the projector is limited to 1080P. The projector also puts a lot of heat into my small sim room, something not so desirable here in Arizona. Lastly, the colors seem somewhat washed out with the projector and I've never been able to adjust them to match what a LED monitor provides. The 57" wide x 33" high TV image should in theory look good in front of my single seat Jetmax. I'll let you know how it all works out once I get the 65" Sony TV operational.
Cheers,
Gordon
hillryanc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyBoy, where in AZ are you? I’m always looking for someone to 2nd seat with and vice versa. I’m in Scottsdale if you’re ever interested in connecting. I’m a former airline pilot with a real job now. Loving getting back into flying again since getting my JetMax a little over a year ago.

Cheers,
Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: