Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Computer Systems Recomendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captflyby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Computer Systems Recomendations Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I would like some advice on what speed and number of computers would be reasonably needed to run MSFS2004 with three monitors, PM with 3 monitors, and any interface software needed.

Have any found it best for strong system running MSFS, but slower systems for PM and other periferal software?

Thank you,
Richard
A320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is my spec:

Main FS PC with overhead projector attached:

AMD Barton 2800
Abit KT600 Motherboard
1024Mb (1Gb) of DDR333 RAM
Currently 128Mb ATI Raedon 7500 but id recomend a higher spec Geforce FX
120Gb HD 7200rpm (40gb wud be plenty)
Creative 5.1 Sound card and Speakers

The other PCs for various software and hardware linkup are between 900Mhz and 1300Mhz with mainly 512Mb of PC133 RAM and basic 64MB Graphics Cards (with TV Out for MCDU LCD TFTs).

I would recomend using a 100Mbps network over a 10Mbps and using a switch to speed up even more!

Personally I am using One PC for each of the two MCDUs, One PC for ECAM Screens, One PC for Captain PFD and ND, One PC for F/O PFD and ND and then apart from my FS2004 PC I hope to use a maximum of 2 or 3 PCs for the swithces etc. When i get the overhead I would use one PC for it.

The older PCs are a mix of Intl Celerons and AMD Athlons (pre XP generation mainly) and are an average of 2-3 years old. They dont need to be brand new components etc just use what you can find. I know some people are just using a few computers for their sim.

Andrew
A320 Builder
We Love Chad Campaign
PRIEST

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,
I find it varies just as Andrew stated its all about personal preference. Here is my setup if it helps.

CPU #1 P4 3.3 gig 250gig hd 3 gig ddr ram Matrox parhelia triple head 512 FS9 FDC and SERVEINFO
Audigy 2 platinum sound card.

CPU#2 P4 2.8 gig 100 gig HD 2 gig ddr ram Radeon 9500 dual head SBcard CAPT PFD/ND

CPU#3 P3 850mhz 80 gig Hd 1 gig ddr ram Gforce iv card FO PFD/ND

CPU#4 P3 750mhz 20 gig hd 256 ddr ram basic vid ECAM

CPU#5 P2 350 mhz 20 gig hd 128 ddr ram basic vid card CDU MCDO (3)
on 3 LCD 5.6 color displays TFT

CPU#6 P4 1.0 gig 1 gig ddr ram 50 gig Hd runnning PHOTON EMULATOR SYSTEM AND ENCODERS LED, LED DISPLAYS and SWITCHES, ROTARIES

Hagstrom KE72 encoder and 2 10X boards and imputs.

all are networked together running FSUIPC/WIDEFS MSFS 2004 Project Magenta Airbus Software PFD/ND FCU EFIS EICAS CDU/FMS FO ND/PFD RCDU

3 21" Monitors 2 15" Monitors 1 14" Monitors

7.1 Surround sound with 2 10" subwoofers and 12" subwoofer under a homemade wood soundfloor.

Hitachi CP-X275 LCD XVGA Projector up to 200" 1024X768 1200 Lumens

NEC LT 80 Projector LCD

My cockpit fram is 7ft HX 8ft W X 10ft L (2.5m HX 2.75 m W X 3.3m L) approx
2 sets of PFC Rudder Pedals
2 Wingman 3D forcefeedback Joysticks w/auto boots
2 Automobile Seats for observers
2 Aircraft Chairs built to Airbus Specs

FDS Elite Series Glare Shield/MIP Pedestal, Overhead, FCU, ECAM, all switch kits

hope this helped some.
Build from the heart my friend not the wallet if possible or a book.

"IF IT AINT FDS IT AINT FLYIN"
sri777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Priest,

I am in the research phase and considering the EPIC alternatives. Curious to notice you are using Photon and Hagstrom boards which are top in my list of alternatives.

Can you please share your experiences with these cards and compare the differences with EPIC. Why did u go with these instead of EPIC?

I looked at Photon and thought software may not have matured yet and probably rushed to the market?? What do u think from your experience?

also, a basic question, can Hangstrom board provide output (like turning on a 7 digit display) or it is just an input only interface?

(probably i should post these questions as a seperate thread!)

thanks
sri777
PRIEST

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Hope thiss helps Reply with quote

Sri,
My experience so far is Ke 24 can handle the LED Display 7 seg np and KE 72 handles alot of the rest. Epic far too costly and very difficult to layout and program, great program if you have lots of time and are a programmer. Photon I am still playing with till I get a look at PCs new program so not much to say on the photon front right now. Hagstrom definitely way to go. Go epic go broke lol. Ive already spent over $30,000 dont need to spend much more, so epics out. If ya want a quick LED Display fix without hastles go to GOFLIGHT they got the G45 and G46 itll do what ya need. Hope this helps
PRIEST

sri777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Priest.

30 K even without EPIC! you are scaring me Laughing

One thing about Hangstrom that concerns me is - aren't they use serial port? I assume it is a slow and not a recommended interface? correct?

Can you hook up momentary switches and rotary encoders to hangstrom?

thx
Sal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Hagstrom Reply with quote

I too am using 3 Hagstrom KE 72's (MCDU,FCU, and Overhead and Center Pedestal...encoders are easy with the Hagstrom Rotary 5..I have 2 for 10 inputs. I also use Go-Flight electronics (custom panels) for Radios, Comm, Xpndr and Digital readouts of the FCU...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this may be a silly question...but i am still a beginner with lot of questions..

can hagstrom handle/support the FDS supplied switches where you need to turn on different row of LEDs (top or bottom) on contact?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hagstroms will only handle the inputs from a switch, they will not turn the led on outside of FS. To turn on the led you need a seperate output
(display module) like that available with interfaceIT, Epic, FSbus etc, with its associated software

You can however build a circuit so when say a microswitch is pushed it can turn on leds but this is seperate to the hagstrom. A good tutorial about this can be found over at flightsim.com How To & FAQ section. Its called How to build a keyboard emulator gear lever.
sri777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Hagstroms will only handle the inputs from a switch, they will not turn the led on outside of FS.

and previously priest said:

Quote:
My experience so far is Ke 24 can handle the LED Display 7 seg np and KE 72 handles alot of the rest

I am confused....
PRIEST

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: clarifying Reply with quote

SRI,
KE24 will handle rotary type and MCDUs in Matrox mode but the rotary needs to be connected to a controller that will read LED Displays for 7 segment. Best bet for you to save hasstle is go with Goflight G45 and 46 series. Yes he was correct Ke72 and 24 will not operate outside of FS without a controller to run it.

hope it helps,

PRIEST

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: