Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting B737 Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iccccie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject: Starting B737 Project Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm going to build a B737NG captain's side cockpit.
Yupp this include to move the overhead and the pedestal a bit.

But actually, i don't know where to start.
How many interference card or other things do i need, and so on.
Any tips on this one?
Claes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrik,

Any two-pilot aircraft are designed so both pilots can reach all controls essential for the flight. Thus both can be Pilot-Flying. I am building a 2/3 of a 737NG and I am sticking to original drawings and I would not even consider moving the overhead or the pedestal.

Interfaces - there are some to choose from and IMHO it boils down to how you would like to design your cockpit and how much you can and will build on your own. You will find tips and guidelines if you search the net and follow forums like this one. Peter has also published some good tutorials from which you can get an idea of how to get started. You are also welcome to send me an email and we can take it further in our native tounge. I believe you know where to find me Wink

/Claes
captflyby

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting B737 Project Reply with quote

Iccccie wrote:
Hi everyone.

I'm going to build a B737NG captain's side cockpit.
Yupp this include to move the overhead and the pedestal a bit.

But actually, i don't know where to start.
How many interference card or other things do i need, and so on.
Any tips on this one?

I have been considering building one for about 3 months now - ever since Peter Cos's web site introduced me to this fabulous hobby. Here is the basics from what I have read. More experienced builders can supplement, add, or correct me as needed.

First get your plan worked out. What you want to build [best to pick a popular design, that way there are more builders to help you with it and more parts suppliers available for it], the size area you will need [sizes vary, but some have suggested a starting point of 7'H X 8'W X 10'L], how modular you want it to be [in case you have to move it], how much budget [10K - 30K is what I've gathered from reading for full size cockpit setups], and time you have [some take up to 5-7years to complete, others seem to have resorces for much faster].

Next you will need to work out your systems.

Computer system first. Build/buy & network your computers [use 100MB NIC cards with Cat5 wiring & switches to allow for faster response times on the network] and getting the main display and sound working [I'm using dual AMD Opteron 240's & 1 GIG DDR for each cpu, with ATI 256MB XT] with other external displays as you desire. This is really overkill, but it doubles as a video editing system as well and does dual dispay wonderfully.

Ex. Use MS Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 for computer operating system, MSFS 2004 or MSFS 2002 as the flight simulator software, WideView to allow for different flight views to run on seperate computer systems, and there's also another program that is needed to make this work, FSUIP or something like it, but I can't recall it. Others will add to this. And of course, you have to learn how to run and interface all these programs.

Then add extra monitors and get project magenta software running that allows external navigational and radio devices to run on seperate computers & monitors. Again, this is all computer & networking so far.

Then I'd try to get a control board working - just one - and experiment with the various interface methods. Once you can get one working the way you want, you can get them all working as you like. I'm still not sure the "best" interface method to use. For me, "best" = quick, simple & reliable.

Then get your FDS panels and build your cockpit around the panels, with the ability to disassemble if need be. I would also mention not to forget access panels in your cockpit to add/repair things later on. Also, wiring quick disconnects for wiring will save time and trouble when adding/repairing.

I hope this helps. I ran it by a friend of mine who builds sims for the military and he says this is the approach they take. But then, of course, he is not building a home sim.

Just my 2 cents.

CFB
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply with quote

*standing ovation*

Really well stated Smile
PC
Iccccie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi..

Wow.. Thanks a lot. Would it be a good start if i started with like an FMC kit from FDS then run that with Hagstrom KE24 on another computer with PM? Does it sounds like a good start?
captflyby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iccccie wrote:
Hi..

Wow.. Thanks a lot. Would it be a good start if i started with like an FMC kit from FDS then run that with Hagstrom KE24 on another computer with PM? Does it sounds like a good start?

Sounds like a good start to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: