Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a safe hobby to pursue? - Need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Is this a safe hobby to pursue? - Need advice Reply with quote

Hi

I am an asian permanent resident living in the USA for the past 9 years. I consider my self a law-abiding, peace loving and a compassionate human being.

Being an engineer myself, i fasciante the engineering marvel of airplanes and love flying. Finally, i am ready to pursue the dream of building a sim in my basement and started planning and was about to order the panels from FDS. And then, i discussed this with a close american friend of mine.

He is seriously warning me against doing this considering i am not an american and how it could potentially be dangerous for me and my family, if for some or the other reason FBI doubts my harmless intellectual pursuit as a threat. I never looked at this from this angle until now. But the more i think about it and see how every one is feeling insecure these days, i realized that may be i should reconsider and proceed carefully about this.

This all may sound silly and unnecessary paranoia to some of you. I too wish it is just that. But unfortunately because of what is happening out there in the world, this is how insecure a commoner like me feels these days.

Building a sim is my dream but unfortunately i am telling myselef these days - no hobby is worth risking the personal safety and the family that depends on you.

i appreciate any advice.
PRIEST

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: ridiculous Reply with quote

America is Lnd of Freedom and Opportunity take advantage of that my friend. Build your dream and don't worry about that terrorist crap building a sim makes you an enthusisat not a terrorist. However do not have any type of subversive material or anti american literature or aquaintances, this may be what will judge your sim as a threat. Otherwise tell your friend hes been watching too much CNN and build your dream. God Bless you and yours and good luck, alot of builders will help you cause here your among friends.
Peace
Tim

"IF IT AINT FDS IT AINT FLYIN"
mkipp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a permanent resident of the United States from Canada. I have only been in the country for just over a year. I am building my own simulator. I also hold a private pilots license. The FBI/CIA etc etc cannot do anything to you citizen or not. You are simply an aviation enthusiast.

You are not the person/people they are looking for. Build your simulator, enjoy yourself, and enjoy flying it.

Regards,

Michael.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately dont worry about what your friend says. Hes obviously still a little paranoid, which given the circumstances is understandable.

If you take a look at Robert Prathers website www.777project.cjb.net
you will see 4 or 5 good post sep 11 newspaper articles on cockpit building in major newspapers like the newyork times! Also I belive that in the US and UK simbuilding is being shown on discovery wings.

Build your sim. You have nothind to worry about.
If your friend pesists direct him to Roberts website as well.
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Building Reply with quote

Folks,
I have been building for over 4 years now.. I have been manufacturing parts for about 3.. Full time now almost one year.
I would honestly think that if the authorities were concerned about our hobby they would be knocking on my door. Smile
No question they are aware of our hobby. I think they are safe in knowing that we are all likely watching for any negative elements as well. I certainly am.. Build.. Build Build... PC
CJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friend,

Working in law enforcment myself I want to assure you that you are not posing a threat by building and flying your own simulator. If that was the case we would have to wipe the store shelves clean of all Flight Simulator programs, ban people from reading flying manuals and prevent people from getting flying licenses. We don't do that in this country.

If your dream is to build your own simulator then go ahead and do it. If your dream is to actaully fly then walk down to the local airport and take lessons in an actaul aircraft. My point is, just do it.

I find it unfortunate that your friend gave you this type of misguidance that is causing you to rethink your desire to participate in this wonderful hobby.

Now order your parts from Peter and get to work, you have lot to do.
Frank Bond

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Build, build, build Reply with quote

I am an American. I watched the plane go into the second tower live on TV.

Does this keep me from flying? NO!
Am I afraid that everyone around me is a terrorist? NO!
Is it stopping me from building my sim? NO!

The terrorists who did that Satanic deed took training at some of the best training school around the country. Right here in America! They have not shut those schools down!

Your friend gave you bad advise! Unless you have already given them reason why would they worry about you?

Don't let someone who is afraid to live life to its fullest stop you from pursing your dream.

My opinion my friend........ BUILD THE SIM!
sri777

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart felt thanks to each and every one of you.

I am proud and honored to be in the company of this kind group.

You have convinced me enough to resume my interest in this hobby and pursue it forward.

Currently I am researching and learning a lot from you all, and hopefully someday i will post my sim pictures on this forum. Smile

Thanks
sri777
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: