Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wannabe builder needs some advice...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Reed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.. I am a fairly new builder myself. The electronics are not my strong suit either. But PC and Techworks have some stuff coming out that will help! There is always EPIC and the hardest part of that is the programming. I have been playing around with the 737 MCP and I have that working pretty good. Get yourself a soldering iron and practice soldering. That is going to be the hardest part. If you can follow instructions and are not afraid to ask questions you can make this happen. If I can do it anyone can.
PRIEST

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean,
Thanx for the offer to help me out Wink but ya know sometimes a guys got to just bear som crosses. But if the load gets to heavy Ill let ya know lol.
Tim
Suggy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, everybody.
The electronics part does appear daunting but I'm sure with slooow perseverance, things will start to make sense.

An interesting addition to the electronics part is from http://www.iflightsystems.com/

The Windows based programming seems a very attractive selling point. The price also looks extremely competitive. I am of course awaiting the announcement from FDS about their solution to make the bells and whistles sing.

Best wishes,

Darren Sugden (Hull)

www.sugden.karoo.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
A320

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think Interface IT is the way to go as it is a USB system and it means you dont have to mess about with Serial cables and PS2 cables etc. Just one cable does the lot. And ofcourse it works for sure with FDS stuff otherwise why sell it?

I think peters aim of becoming a one stop shop is good for us builders as we know what he sells must work and upto now everything has been of superior quality so I hope InterfaceIT will be too as they have perfected it alot recently it seems!

Andrew
A320 Builder
We Love Chad Campaign
Norman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more with Andrew. InterfaceIT seems to be a Godsend to those who simply don't want to get involved in the heartache of sim electronics.

Hopefully these folks won't have a long wait!
ColinP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I too am considering building an A320 flight deck but just don't know where to start. The Flight Deck Solutions website is not very clear and assumes that customers already know what they need. Perhaps someone who has progressed far into their project might be kind enough and post details of the items they have acquired so far and items they will need.

I have put together a spreadsheet detailing items that I think I need. I know there is lots more to include, so please feel free to put me and fellow prospective builders on the right track by amending the list below.

Many Thanks

Elite MIPS
Throttle Unit
Trim Wheels x 2
Side Stick x 2
Overhead Panel
Overhead Circuit Breaker
Glare Key Kit
Pedestal Panels
Ecam Accessory Pack
Pedestal Switches
Overhead Switches
Fire Warning Units

MCDU Kit 1
MCDU Kit 2

Projector

Computer 1
Computer 2
Computer 3
Computer 4

Monitor 21" 1
Monitor 21" 2
Monitor 21" 3

TFT Screen 1
TFT Screen 2

Extension Leads
Hub/Switch

Project Magenta Software
HCDST System Software
cwbalmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link for more details on the InterfaceIT stuff?

Thanks

Chris.

Administrator, Screenshotworld.com
Member of the Bentwaters Aviation Society
Volunteer at the Bentwaters Cold War Museum
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: interfaceIT Reply with quote

Guys,
Brent from Tekworx and I have been together several times this week. Andrews point about USB and simplified software interfacing are great points. Brents direction from day one has been to expedite the Builders ability to inteface and fly. Its enough that we all have to learn so many new skills.. By the time we get built I think we want to fly.. Not code.
Brent tells me that he is finished with the board design.. This is being sent out for production mid to late next week. March is a go..
The first module will be quite different from what we showed originally.
The software for one is ten times more intuitive.. Wait till you see the test modes..
The primary board wil be a "Glare Module" that is designed to handle the glare set up for all types we have plus numerous additonal inputs for other items. From there you will see an RMP module.. CDU module, TCAS etc..
TekWorx has been spending alot of time taking the difficult part of this out of the builders domain and into software..
I will post more info this coming week and give you a full feature listing.
Personally, I am truly excited about what this will bring to our hobby.
More news soon..!!!!
PC
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Web Page Info/ Colin Reply with quote

Colin,
I am rebuilding the web page again in an attempt to improve this scenario. To be honest.. I have handled most of this via email and tried to add a very personal touch to working with my Builder/friends...
I think your post might require a movel to answer! Smaller bites would be helpful for fellow builders to jump in. Or.. email me and I will cover what you need to know. PC
ribel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Web Page Info/ Colin Reply with quote

pcos wrote:
To be honest.. I have handled most of this via email and tried to add a very personal touch to working with my Builder/friends...

That's nice to know Peter, thanks for clarifying. I've held back from mailing you, figuring you were far too busy to respond to individual emails! Rolling Eyes

Now just see how your inbox explodes!

Sean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding.

It is evident from the many websites I've seen, that you have, in a big way, propelled this hobby to a new level and have developed top quality products that far exceed our wildest imagination. When you dangle carrots by posting photos of these products, I can't help but go nuts and want them so badly. Smile

I did send you an email last week but as I suspected, you would have had hundreds of other mail to sort out.

Keep up the good work.

Colin
ColinP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Web Page Info/ Colin Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding.

It is evident from the many websites I've seen, that you have, in a big way, propelled this hobby to a new level and have developed top quality products that far exceed our wildest imagination. When you dangle carrots by posting photos of these products, I can't help but go nuts and want them so badly. Smile

I did send you an email last week but as I suspected, you would have had hundreds of other mail to sort out.

Keep up the good work.

Colin
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Email Reply with quote

Colin,
Send me that email again as I had a major calamity with a hard drive. It might have been in my inbox at the time. Just to be safe.
thanks for the kind words by the way. I think that most of the builders recognize that I am trying very hard to be here for the long term.
We recently saw a supplier go down and it was purely a business planning thing. Make something nice and not be able to cover your costs, reinvestment etc and you do no favors for anyone. Short term gain only., Some people got a nice control piece and now nothing. Had that piece been priced properly it would have allowed so much more to be developed.
I promise not to show up in a Porsche and to keep reinvesting! Smile
PC
A320

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in relation to the new Interface IT modules, the word "godsend" comes to mind!!!

Andrew
A320 Builder
We Love Chad Campaign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: will consider it Reply with quote

Now thats funny Ribel, I'll put it in the consideration box..next to tools I bought and don't use .LOL
Tim
Canada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: