Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GO PLASTIC! :D (Visual Projection Setup)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warvet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: GO PLASTIC! :D (Visual Projection Setup) Reply with quote

I DID IT!! Ok as some of you know I bought 3 projectors same as Jon Boe which by the way he has a fantastic setup. I got a hold of a piece of plastic that is actually a mirror surface its called acrylic mirror no distortion 3'x4' x 1/4" placed it above my overhead. I placed 2 slotted plastic strips of butcher block 2" wide and 1" thickon each edge and drilled centre holes for eye hooks. Taking snare wire I put the wire through the eye hooks causing the mirror to convex with a small curve. Then once i achieved the proper curve I needed I locked the wire in place. I also used 2 guide wires at the top of the mirror to angle it down and forward. This now gives me 122' of coverage I then took a piece of this amazing plastic product called Cintra and took a 5x10 sheet curved it concave to match the same curve of the mirror and bent it around enough to get full coverage of my PC and FO viewing area its amazing. I placed my projector 57" in front and above the cockpit bouncing off the mirror and back onto the screen 36" in front of the deck then inverted the image using the projectors software. 1280x760 resolution. Pictures are coming soon. The amazing part is I am only using 1 projector to accomplish it., Very Happy
Anyway just thought Id share it with you. Flights now are incredible Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy THANX TO FDS PC AND THE BOYZ FOR MAKING MY FANTASY A REALITY, WITHOUT YOUR DEDICATION AND VISION I COULD NOT BE WHERE I AM Very Happy
bwr014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics i would like to see too Smile

gr.

Frans M
sbecker777

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send plans too if you can!!

Steve
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Intriguing.... Reply with quote

I would say that Tim has opened a huge topic of conversation. Hope he is prepped to spill the beans. Sure sounds good...
This is an area that most of the builders have not really reached so experience is not abundant.
Would love to see/hear more on this.
PC
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: GO PLASTIC! :D Reply with quote

Oh I get it...You like to tease us with this great discovery by not showing us the pics! Wink PICS PLEASE. I think we would love to see what you did.

WARVET wrote:
I DID IT!! Ok as some of you know I bought 3 projectors same as Jon Boe which by the way he has a fantastic setup. I got a hold of a piece of plastic that is actually a mirror surface its called acrylic mirror no distortion 3'x4' x 1/4" placed it above my overhead. I placed 2 slotted plastic strips of butcher block 2" wide and 1" thickon each edge and drilled centre holes for eye hooks. Taking snare wire I put the wire through the eye hooks causing the mirror to convex with a small curve. Then once i achieved the proper curve I needed I locked the wire in place. I also used 2 guide wires at the top of the mirror to angle it down and forward. This now gives me 122' of coverage I then took a piece of this amazing plastic product called Cintra and took a 5x10 sheet curved it concave to match the same curve of the mirror and bent it around enough to get full coverage of my PC and FO viewing area its amazing. I placed my projector 57" in front and above the cockpit bouncing off the mirror and back onto the screen 36" in front of the deck then inverted the image using the projectors software. 1280x760 resolution. Pictures are coming soon. The amazing part is I am only using 1 projector to accomplish it., Very Happy
Anyway just thought Id share it with you. Flights now are incredible Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy THANX TO FDS PC AND THE BOYZ FOR MAKING MY FANTASY A REALITY, WITHOUT YOUR DEDICATION AND VISION I COULD NOT BE WHERE I AM Very Happy

www.sim737.com
warvet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promise i'll provide pics Laughing I just have a few more tweeks to make it picture perfect lol (FORGIVE THE PUN) but yes it works incredibly well, the most important thing it solves is the distance projector dilemma, next the weight and cost of mirrors not to mention the hassle mounting them. This mirror weighs about 5 lbs as opposed to 40lbs and it can be bent without any major distortion providing you curve the actual cintra screen to the same curvature. If you just want to cover a large flat screen area and dont habve much room itll do that to but slight distortion on the edges but barely noticable. I will be happy to answer any questions once I get the pics up. The screen material is Sintra this stuff is awesome for roofs of your decks or side walls its light, you can screw into it and has an incredible texture that looks professional. I'll be using it for all my building finishing work. By the way thanx to all the builders like PC, Matt O, Frans, Stef and the rest of you who helped me in so many ways, really thanx alot.\Here is more info on this amazing stuff
http://tri-dee.com/Sintra%20sheets%20information.htm

Tim
A340
Canada
dnoize

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Sintra stuff looks very interesting. Will have to find a source for that over here !

Thanks for sharing, good to see you so enthousiastic !!
Smile

Stef
ssa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: I found a german producer. Reply with quote

Hi Stef,

I have found a source(producer) for Germany. Visit www.koemi.net they also have english, french, spanish etc...
They have sizes like 2 meters by 4 meters, which if you properly work will be a great curved surface.
Will look for distributors near me.
Lets wait for the pictures from Tim.
dnoize

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Samim !

Stef
warvet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics up most likely tomorrow or Tues for sure sorry for delay not sure how to put pics in here so Ill send them to PC. Sintra is more expensive than plywood sheets but is 300x more professional and useable. Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Pics Reply with quote

For pics, you can email me when you are ready to post. I can upload the images here and send you back the link you need to insert into the message body on the forum.
Same day usually.
PC
dnoize

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo rambo !

you know how to catch a bear, but you dont know how to post pics ? Shocked

just teasing yA Tim Wink If Peter doesnt have the time i can do it for you too.

btw, Frans forwarded the website...very very very nice...when can we come over ? lol

Stef
warvet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously welcome anytime Stef and thx LOL Rambo hehe Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
dnoize

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you canadians dont sleep do you Wink
warvet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope,
Best time to catch a bear is late night early morning LMAO Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Plus I got a simulator to build Stef Very Happy Usually 0400 0500 is a good time to sleep.

Tim
A340
Canada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: