Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plug-and-play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stamatis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Plug-and-play? Reply with quote

Good day,

What is required of the user in order to have a fully working CDU?

In other words, exactly what does the CDU user have to buy (in excess of the featured CDU hardware) and to do in order to have a fully functioning CDU? How does it connect to the PC? How does one program it? (I use ProjectMagenta) What kind of monitor does it use? What additional hardware is required?

I would appreciate a detailed reply.

Best Regards
Stamatis
daniele

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao.

FDS CDU isn't plug and play, but for me it's the best CDU, and not only why I write here Smile

it required

- one computer to run project magenta software (not fs or PFD/ND or eicas) it's a client where you can run sonly MCP and CDU

- monitor lcd 5,6" connect to graphic card

- Keyboard encoder or epic for interface every switch to emulate the keyboard press.

it's very easy to do you have to solder (I hope that write right) only 2 cable for button

positive (GND)---> connect to keyboard encoder GND
input (IN)---> connect to keyboard encoder IN1 for button1, IN2 for button2 ecc....

it's more easy to do also why my english isn't very well ! Smile

ciao

daniele
Stamatis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniele,

Thank you for replying.
For a moment I thought it was a ready made CDU, with a microprocessor and a serial connection to the PC. Thank you for clarifying this for me!

Stamatis
A320

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want plug and play wait for InterfaceIT as it will be USB. It really is just soldering a few wires to make it work and then just say what switch does what keystroke. All keystrokes for MCDU with Project Magenta are listed in the Documentation that can be downloaded from their site, www.project-magenta.com.

Id say if you would solidly and knew how to solder etc it would take perahps 2 thirds of a day to get fully going if you are good with your hands!

Andrew
A320 Builder
We Love Chad Campaign
Stamatis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A320 wrote:

Id say if you would solidly and knew how to solder etc it would take perahps 2 thirds of a day to get fully going if you are good with your hands!

But that's exactly my problem. I can't even screw a light bulb with my hands... Smile

Stamatis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stamatis,

Firstly, the soldering is easy as pie.

The CDU kit comes with all plexiglass parts required to build the CDU. In addition you need a screen to ensert into it and a mechanism to get the switches recognised by the PM CDU.

Re: Screen. You have multiple choices here. The simplest is to buy a 5.6" B/W tv and use this. Note, you will require a Video card that has TV out.

Optionally, you can opt for a multitude of other screen types, LCD colour etc etc.

After insert all the switches into their holders on the CDU you next need to solder the connections. The map to use for this is simple and available on the main FDS web site. As for the soldering, it is simple, place wire beside pin, place soldering iron/gun against pin for a sec and then offer the solder to them both, the solder should then literally melt and flow ointo the joint. A nice shiney joint is a good one. A little practise would help and once mastered is second nature.

Next, once you have all the wries connected you need some way to interface them all with the PC. The easiest option here is a hagstrom lp24. You simply connect everything per the details on the website. you then program the hagstrom card to send the proper key sequence to the pc. Again this is simple and take about an hour.

Once this is done you should have; switches which send keystrokes to the pc. Your pc screen coming up on the tv or whatever you used, and PM recognising the keypresses.

Obviously it takes a little work and effort. But really it is simple, and if I may say, gives a little more satisfaction knowing you built it all.

if I can be of further help, please feel free to ask or email.

Ben
sollisb@asaangard.com
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Confusion.... Reply with quote

Guys,
You are all describing the NOVA CDU Kit...
That is all detailed on the old page (to be moved shortly).
This is pretty hands-on and labour intensive.

For Stamatis... You are looking for the ELITE CDU Kit.. Based on the fidelity of your Sim.
This one requires some soldering and connection to a KEyboard Encoder.
While I think it is very easy, some would likely rather not learn these skills on such a piece Smile
If you are eager to get a unit and want it prewired.... email me and I will work something out. More than happy to do that.

thanks to all the eager builders who jumped in here..! I feel like the team is growing! Smile
PC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: