Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Estimating I/O needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sri777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Estimating I/O needs Reply with quote

Hi

For the control interface system needs and budget planning purposes, i wish to know approximately how may input and output channels are needed for modeling all the panels (MCP, glare, Overhead, central pedestal etc.,) of Boeing 777.

I am looking for this info since systems such as FSBUS, Photon have limit on ultimate number of display outputs (such as LEDs etc.,) that can be connected. And the same is true about inputs.

Also, considering each large button (supplied by FDS) takes 4 leds, this takes 4 display channels on the board. Correct? This could mean, it is easy to run out of the max supported no. of display channels on the control board easily. correct?

Having this rough number gives an idea about how many add-on I/O boards i might need if i go with EPIC or FSBUS or Photon etc....

thx
sri777
MatthiasS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sri,

It depends on how realistic your sim shall be. Maybe I am wrong but I think that only a few people are building their sim that realistic, that every switch is "really" functional. After my research (I am also building a 777) it becomes more and more expensive to make every switch working.

I did not count the necessary inputs that I will need to finish my sim because for the one or other switch I decide while building wether to make it function or not.

My main input/output device is EPIC, but not only EPIC. For the CDUs I will use Hagstrom encoders (LP 24) and for Robert Prathers 777 collection I will use a simple hacked keyboard encoder. BTW: The number of inputs and outputs is also limited for the EPIC system: 304 Button inputs + 20 rotaries, 256 outputs for lamps and LEDs. EPIC is a very fine system if you like programming.

>>Also, considering each large button (supplied by FDS) takes 4 leds, this takes 4 display channels on the board. Correct? This could mean, it is easy to run out of the max supported no. of display channels on the control board easily. correct?<<

The large keys have 4 LEDīs. The two LEDīs for the legend and the two for the status bar will each be connected together. So you have a maximum of two output channels you will need. Additionally it is not necessary to wire the LEDīs for the legends to the output module, because all would be switched at a time. So they all could be wired to a fixed power supply (via a switch).

Regards,
Matthias
Carlos Lopez

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Inputs/Outputs Reply with quote

I've read your message and actually don't know the number of inputs/outputs you need, but you tell us about the use of EPIC or FSBUS. I recommend you to take a look at http://www.opencockpits.com/ where you can find the IOCards, that provide you 74 inputs, 64 outputs and 64 displays each card, having the possibility of connect up to 4 on each computer of your net, so the limit almost doesn't exist. You can connect other devices as engines step by step, servos, LCDs, analogic devices, etc.

Carlos lopez
carloslopez@micabinadevuelo.com
www.micabinadevuelo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: