Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MCDU and TFT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sacramento

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: MCDU and TFT Reply with quote

hi to all:

Can someone tell me where I can Find a TFT to put inside off MCDU by FDS?

Thanks
lestat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to check with Pascal as he has gotten one. I am looking at one from CSI that is around $300.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An option to consider is small TFT screens that are offered for car video. Many on line sellers of car audio products offer such small screens. Prices vary but I got mine for about $105 US. Keep in mind that the off axis viewing is not nearly as good as regular LCD monitors and LCD TVs. I intend to use mine until something better/affordable comes along.

Peter Majeski
Don

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: MCDU screen Reply with quote

Just a suggestion.
You could buy a small TV of appropiate screen size, and use the AV input of the TV.
Of course you would need to drive the screen from a Video card that supports Video Out (Sometimes called TV Out)
I am using for some of my screens and no problem, even using Pivit Software.
Don

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: LCD's from AEI Reply with quote

Here's a bunch to pick from.

http://www.aeicomp.com/search_result.asp?MANUFACTURER=LCD%20Modules&CATEGORY=LCD%20Monitors
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: P Cos Reply with quote

I have all good things about these two places as well:

www.mp3playerstore.com

and

www.partsexpress.com

Small VGA monitors are quite pricey and I have to vote with Peter above when he says that the less expensive ones to start is a wise move.
We are all seeing LCD drop in price and that is great for us builders..
Smaller ones will follow suit. More specialized so it may take some time..
PC
Colin Turner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: LCD Monitors Reply with quote

Hi

What size would monitor would you recommend for the FMC?

Colin
Bob Reed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most builders are using the 5.6" LCD screens....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/th-5688.htm

Mine uses two of this

Andrew McQuillan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on to your hats everybody. I know where you can get one for about 75.00 US

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3079431630

The seller auctions them off, but the reserve is over 50.00 and his BUY NOW option is 64.95 + 17.00 shipping in the US...

Have Fun.

Is anybody else just starting a 737...?? Shocked
Compuzed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: LCD Screens vs TV mini Reply with quote

I also picked up a small Black & White TV with an AV input from Walmart last year for 35.00.....it is now ( I think) just a matter of buying an encoder ( Hagstrom KE-24 ) and then the face kit from our good friend at this location......that should have the CDU done. Surprised

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone bought this LCD from ebay ?

If I buy these LCD's , I must unmount it to fit in the FDS kit ? How hard is it ?

Can I use the 12V models in 110V ?

Thanks,
Ulisses
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: TV Reply with quote

Folks,
Bruce Day did up an overview on using a standard TV for the CDU setup...
Keep in mind as well that there is software available that will rotate programs. This can allow you to turn a 5.6". 6" or 7" LCD sideways and still have the proper setup. Many builders run into width issues as its tight in there.
Here is what Bruce reported:

Adding a 5 inch Monitor for Your CDU for $30??

I have a 737 Home Cockpit that I have built out of real Boeing 737 parts. Often, however, real parts just arenít practical to find and sometimes when you do the price makes it impractical. A CDU is one such example. However, with Peter Cos now offering the CDU I am able to consider getting a CDU.

One of the many Boeing 737 parts that I have in my cockpit includes a CDU cage. Again Peter came to the rescue because his CDU is manufactured so exact I can attach his CDUís directly into the Boeing CDU cage. Despite this I still ran into problems because to fit the CDU into the Boeing cage requires a 5 inch TV type tube monitor (just like the real thing). This ruled out what others had done using 5 Ė 6 inch flat LCD screens. With 5 inch monochrome monitors costing $300 U.S. each that was out of the question for me. So I had to come up with a solution that included a 5 inch monitor that was a reasonable price. In the end the solution was so practical and inexpensive that after Peter and I discussed it we felt others might be interested.

This Christmas Walmart brought in a huge load of 5 inch TVís. If you can believe it they were selling these TVís for $29 Canadian (about $19 U.S.) Radio Shack also carries these TVís all the time and they are still inexpensive at $49 Canadian or about $29 U.S. Although these TVís are inexpensive, they still have a Video in plug. This offered an inexpensive solution to my challenge. So I bought two of them. All that is required to run a TV tube off your computer is a video card with a TV out. It is simply an additional plug to your monitor out on your video card. It is also called a composite out and looks like a female RCA type plug.

To get the TV to display your computer screen image simply plug a composite wire (available at any computer store for about $3) from your video card to the Video In on the 5 inch TV. Then go to Properties in your video card settings and look for the tab that shows the TV and turn it on. Most video cards with TV outs running with Windows 2000 or XP will detect the TV if plugged in and turn it on for you automatically. When you can see the your computer screen on the TV simply start up Project Magentaís CDU with the screen image only (no bitmap) and you will have a 5 inch CDU screen for under $25 U.S.

One word of caution. Most video cards check for a 75 ohm load from the TV to determine if there is a TV attached. These particular TVís donít provide enough of a load to invoke the card. To solve this I soldered a 10-cent, half watt 75 ohm resistor on the circuit board of the TV at the video in plug. This solved the problem as the card would then detect the TV. An even easier solution if you are buying a card with a TV out, is to get one where the included card software allows you to simply go into the card and turn on the TV out. Some of Asusís video cards do that. Regardless, you do not need an expensive video card. In fact a very inexpensive video card with a TV out is all that is required. You will gain nothing for this purpose by buying an expensive card. Mine is an old ATI Rage Fury card. It is only a 32 megs version (I think 64 megs is the minimum today). If you donít have a card with TV out an inexpensive card with TV out and 64 megs should be available at your local computer store for around $60. Donít spend a lot of money on a fancy card, you donít need one.

To fit the tube into Peterís CDU, all I am going to do is to take the case off the TV and reposition some the insides so I can slide the 5 inch tube into the CDU frame. Iíve already taken it apart and this will present no problem as there are wires long enough on the circuit boards to reposition them below the tube.

One final note of interest. In my case I am installing two CDUís, one for each the Captain and First Officer. However, although each CDU will be operational and operate independently, they will be a clone of each other. This meant that the image displayed had to be displayed on both CDUís simulataneously. To accomplish this I purchased a $4 RCA splitter plug to split the image to two separate screens. It worked perfectly and there is no need for a video amplifier. Only a negligible amount of brightness was lost.

You may wonder about the quality of the image as it is from a TV out. Donít worry. The image is fantastic. Despite my lousy camera work the image really is sharp, clear and bright. The only drawback is that it is Black and White. The alternative however, for a 5 inch color tube was to spend upwards of $500 to $1000. In a real 737-NG they donít have color anyway. The screen is a green monochrome. To get the same effect I am simply putting green filter paper over the screen.

To give you an idea of the quality I have included a couple of pictures. I am not a photographer as you will see and believe me the camera does the image no justice. It is 100 times better in real life. Also I could not get the camera angle/lighting right so all the text on the screen showed up, but it is there and equally as sharp, bright and readable as the text that does show up.

I hope this will be helpful and will offer you another inexpensive alternative for adding a display for your CDU.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info,

I just ordered this LCD:

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/th-5688.htm

Looks like a good value for the money.

Ulisses
Colin Turner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: 5.6 Monitors Reply with quote

I can get a 5.6 TFT LCD Colour monitor with PAL composite video input for the CDU's with seperate driver board.
Can anybody tell me what connections are required for connecting the 5.6 monitor for the CDU is it only video in required and how it can be done with wiring diagram? Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: