Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best method mounting 3 sections of 777 MIP Panel from FDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Best method mounting 3 sections of 777 MIP Panel from FDS Reply with quote

I was wondering what the best method for mounting the 3d MIP panel to the support stand was?

Glue the Panels together first with RC Modeling Glue? Then mount them with 1/4" screws to the support stand?

I'm curious what others have done on their panels...

Randy
Sam Verhoeven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Velcro is the initial way to go Reply with quote

Hi,

I would suggest using Velcro initially as you will probably need to take off your MIP regularly while building your sim.

For a more permanent mount I'm using aluminum rails mounted on the MIP that are screwed (use bolts) onto aluminum rails which are mounted on the support stand.

That way you don't need to "touch" (like in "damage") the MIP itself if the need arises to demount things.

Sam Verhoeven
www.b737ng.be
Norbert Bosch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam

Do you glue the aluminium rails on the FDS 777 mip panels? Or are they connected via nuts and bolts to it?
I do not want to make any holes in the MIP. So glueing is the way I want to go.

Norbert Bosch

http://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch
Sam Verhoeven

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choice is yours, of course.
We used nuts & bolts, but I guess some good instant glue or epoxy (maybe even double side sticky tape) will do the job too.

If you prefer to glue, I recommend to sandpaper the aluminum first as this gives much better and instant contact with "instant glue".

Same goes for all the plexi FDS pieces (NOT the legend plates) that need to be glued on top of each other.
Thinking of key kits and CDU kits in particular.
Just one slide over small grain sandpaper (anything above 600 will do) and they will 'stick' instantly, saving you from an awefull lot of frustration when gluey pieces start to slide onto each other spilling instant glue onto your fingers.
Remember that instant glue needs water-molecules to "dry" (or better: harden), not hot dry air.

Sam Verhoeven
www.b737ng.be
Sheldon Cannon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: 777 panel Reply with quote

Hi , I glued the main panel and all the frames to it! I used a super glue that you find a rc model airplane shop. There are two kinds- Thick or thin, but on the thick you can buy a special spray that hardens the glue in a plit second.(acclerator) I found this the best way - didn't want a ton of screws and bolts all over the panel holding the thing on. Also if it is one peice it is pretty heavy so velcro might not hold. I used 5 1/4 inch screws with nice heads, and then painted them to match.At last the panel was all one peice and it was very easy to mount since I was not trying to get erveything even.
Thanks Sheldon

www.777cockpit.com
phwad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i glued the three parts with "Bison Bond", works with an activator on one part and super glue at the other part.

Jan Willem Knoppers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: