Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FDS AN1 V2 Annunciators
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: FDS AN1 V2 Annunciators Reply with quote

I received my new set of annunciators yesterday. I notice that this version of the AN1 is slightly different from the previous set i got for my MIP 2 years ago.

This one has a side that says Standard and the other that says Dim/Bright.
After reading through most of the posts on this topic i understand the need for Dim/Bright, the whole concept of Blue Leds to be maintained on a certain pin etc.

For the annunciators that dont need Dim/Bright states i will use the Standard side. Pls confirm if this is correct.

I need some help with mounting the LEDs on the PCB with the Anode and Cathode in the right place. I cant remember what indicated the side to mount the Anode.

Your help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
GDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I too have received the annunciators together with the Overhead Panel.
Since I'm completely new to this, is it possible to have some illustrating pictures? I'm not that kind of an electrician! Embarassed

Would be great!

Geert

What goes up, must eventually come down!
http://www.flightsim737ng.be
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 am    Post subject: Wiring an AN1 Reply with quote

I will get a diagram up here for you.
Standby.
PC
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Thanks - will standby Reply with quote

Thanks Peter.
Will wait to hear from you. The video from few years ago that described the assembly for the AN1 v1 annunciators used to be very helpful.

I did see a picture in one of the posts of how the resistor and a common diode play a role in the Dim/Bright configuration. However, as much as i looked at the PCB i couldnt tell how plugging in a resistor and a diode into the indicated slots would get me a Dim/BRight Config.

A picture indicating an assembled annunciator PCB in standard config and one in Dim/Bright Config would help tremendously.

Will wait to hear from you.

Best regards,
BONATECH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: New AN1 Reply with quote

Heres a picture of the newest AN1 board. I hope it helps.

GDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nice. Does this mean that I need to add additional resistors and diodes?
When do I need Dim/bright or Standard.

I thought these were lights either on or off...

I think I'm losing it here Shocked

What goes up, must eventually come down!
http://www.flightsim737ng.be
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter - Thanks for the Picture. That solves my need.

GDR - Yes you will need Diodes and Resistors if you want to use the DIM/Bright confguration.
Indeed for the most part these annunciators are either off or on. But in the case of the overhead, certain annunciators actually have a off/dim/bright state. Example Valve annunciators. They go from an 'off' state to a BRIGHT state when in transition and then settle into a DIM state when they stay on. Hence the need for DIM/BRIGHT.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
BONATECH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new AN1 allows you to do duel stage brightness. If you put your 4 pin connector on the Dim/Bright side, you will need two diodes and a resistor as seen in the picture. If you put your 4 pin connector on the Standard side it will work just like the old ones. On a B737 O.H. there are 9 blue AN1íS that should be Duel Brightness. They are as flows: ( L VALVE OPEN) ( R VALVE OPEN) ( L COWL VALVE OPEN) ( R COWL VALVE OPEN) ( L ENG VALVE CLOSED) ( R ENG VALVE CLOSED) ( L SPAR VALVE CLOSED) ( R SPAR VALVE CLOSED) ( VALVE OPEN)
Good luck. JB.
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed that on the 4 pin connector holes - one of them is a square - what does that indicate?
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also noticed that i should have said 'thanks' to JB for the pcb picture. SO Thanks to Peter and JB for the picture.
BONATECH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a problem, happy to help. The square hole is pin #1 of the 4 pin connector.
pin #1 LED Anode (+)
pin #2 is Cathode (-)
pin #3 LED Anode (+)
pin #4 is Cathode (-)
NOTE: Pins 1 & 3 are connected together and pin 2 & 4 are connected together.
You will only need to use pins 1 and 2 when wiring standard
However when wiring Duel brightness you will have to use pins 1,2 and 3 with pins 1 & 3 being your Anode (+)
Pin 2 being your Cathode (-)
Hope this helps.
JB.
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB:
Thanks for your response.
So from what i understand - all these days when i have had my annunciators wired, there used to be 2 BLACK wires on Pins 1 and 3 which i would connect to the single BLACK wire that came from the socket on SYS3. The WHITE one i would connect to a particular LED pin on the socket.

If i follow what you said, i need NOT have connected the other BLACK wire at all and it would still have worked (because as you say, Pins 1 and 3 - the BLACK wires were connected on the PCB anyway) - Am i correct?

SECONDLY - For dual LED configuration - If i have to use 1 and 3 and connect them - do they go to the same pin on the SYS3 socket or does it take away two pins on the SYS3 socket?

Regards,
Jois
BONATECH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jois,
First I should point out that pins 1 & 3 are Anode (+). There should be a white wire in #3. If you look very closely at the white connector you will see numbers 1-4. (They are very hard to see) The black wires should be in 4 & 2. As for your other questions, you are correct. You only have to connect one of the black wires. We put the second black wire there so you can daisy chain seven more AN1íS to fill the 10 pin connector coming from the SYS card.
For dual brightness yes you will need to use two pins for it to work proper, and you will have to add a forth wire in pin #1 of your 4 pin connector as well.
I will update the picture so you can see what Iím talking about.
Hope this will help.
JB.
FirstinFlight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB:
Sorry i wrote those pin numbers wrong. Indeed the two black wires are on 2 & 4.

That helped a lot.

I didnt realize that i could daisy chain the black wire to other annunicators. thanks for that. I am about to embark on my overhead and that will save me a lot of wire.

As far as dual brightness is concerned - you resolved my question. I has looked at an earlier post indicating the need for two +ve lines to come in - one via diode and another via a diode and resistor. So i had begun to wonder how i would manage with only ONE WHITE wire. I got my answer now. What do you use to add another wire to PIN 1 of the 4-pin connector? A tool?

Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,
Jois
BONATECH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a tool, but for the couple you will need to do you can use a small flat head screwdriver, and push the wire into the connector, itís not as easy as I make it sound but it can be done. Let me know how you make out?
JB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: