Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ff_emt_miller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

hi everyone!!!

just wanted to introduce my self....i am looking into building my own cockpit. while searching the net on info about the 737NG, i came across FDS's site. i belive that i have found what i am looking for. however i wanted some advice from people who have already started their projects:

other than personal preferance of aircraft type...was there anything else that made you decide to build a particular cockpit? (ie. easier to build?)

since i have hardly any hardware experience (or for that matter...carpentry expertiese) will i still be able to handle this project??

does any of the stuff from FDS come with instructions for people who are "cockpit challenged" ?

thanks guys and girls!!!

ps. happy holidays
Bob Reed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well welcome to the sickness! As far as wich is easyer, it depends on what you are looking to do. I suppose the Air Buss would be easyer becuase of the "joystick" like controlls. But the AB has a lot of other things to model. The best thing to say would be to set yourself a budget and start slow and learn as you go. This will not come together fast! I have been stuck on a littl issue for over a week and it just becuase I want it better. When you get specific questions ask, you will get answers.

Bob Reed
A320

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you need to remember that alot of money will go towards wood, screws, paint etc for the cockpit so dont just think it is only the price of the panels! There is ALOT of hardware needed as well no matter what airliner it is!

I went for Airbus as it had a sidestick which costs $200 to replicate each whereas $1200 per Yoke for Boeing etc!

Andrew
A320 Builder
We Love Chad Campaign
ff_emt_miller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys!

i guess that i am going to do the 737NG (favorite one). i dont think that i will have much of a problem with the stick issue, however i was wondering.....is there any good sites out there that show how to construct the back of the panel (ie. where the monitors sit?). i figured that since i have been obsessed with FS this much....might as well take it to the next level Smile

thanks for all the answers!!!

cheers!
hfbond

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went with the 737NG. I wanted the feel of holding the yoke in my hands instead of a joy stick. I also just spent a week on one part of the project. But I like all the challenges that the project has. It's like building a very large 3D puzzle that you get to play with. It will take me a long time to build but it keeps me out of trouble. Good luck!

Frank Bond
www.737flightsimulator.com
P Cos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: NG Construction Reply with quote

We are going to post some info on this.. I have someone doing a very nice setup that I can model in a way that will help the builders.
It is important that all the sections line up so you will start seeing sectional drawings for the FDS parts in 2004. Promise to work on this for everyone..
As far as manuals go. I wish I had the time. So far most of the builders have been ok and made through. I am focused on trying to simplify the construction so that will help. On it! PC
Nils

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ff Very Happy ,

hardware is not a big problem. Wotch out the interface it solution. Most of the panels can be made as dummies or have ever simulated an evacuation for example.

If you help with the construction you can send me an email and I send you pictures. There are also a lot of intersting homepages, which demonstrate a lot of building ways.

Nils
lestat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy!,
I am building a 747 and have been at it since the spring. It is definitely not a short project but there is something very satisfying in about spending days working out how to build something (and sometimes building prototype versions) and then sitting down in your sim and flicking a switch and seeing something happen. There are a many helpful people and you will find lots of assistance when you post a question here. There are also loads of sites out there with pictures that should help you get ideas. I would say that there is no one perfect way it really depends upon your time and $$. Some people use PVC sheets, some wood, I am looking into a very thin metal (1/8" or so) that is very strong but currently using wood myself. In the process you should become adept at woodworking, electrical wiring, a little bit of programming, painting, soldering, etc all. This is also a plus. And, if you are like me, you will end up with a really cool set of tools that you can use. Other then a joiner I am almost ready to compete with Norm Abrams.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Good Luck!
ff_emt_miller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies fella's!!!

i am really glad to see all the support that is out there...that gives me some hope that i may just be able to do this! i plan on taking my time and having fun (my main purpose)

thanks for all the replies again and glad to introduce my self...im sure that i will be asking a ton of questions (fyi)

happy new year!!!
ff_emt_miller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the replies fella's!!!

i am really glad to see all the support that is out there...that gives me some hope that i may just be able to do this! i plan on taking my time and having fun (my main purpose)

thanks for all the replies again and glad to introduce my self...im sure that i will be asking a ton of questions (fyi)

happy new year!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: