Flight Deck Solutions Forum Index Flight Deck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flight Deck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MM7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Where to start? Reply with quote

Hey there Smile

So I have been flying on Sims for about 14 years but want to start building my own simulator, 737NG pref. I wanted to ask, I have a gaming pc which can run FS2004/FSX but have a few more questions:

1) Do you need powerful pc's to run all the other little addons?
2) What software would I need to run a full (no motion!) sim (incl weather radar, terr radar)
3) What 737 addon will I use? (PMDG 737NGX?)
4) I have no budget so where do I start?

Cheers and thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Mike Seven,

Oh boy. There's about 1000 answers to all your questions. Most of them will have to be decided for yourself, because the options are nearly endless these days. We are truly living in good times for building a 737 sim and you've come to a great place to start. I will answer your questions with my own opinion. Others will surely have their own thoughts, but to be honest this is such a large set of questions, and so much of it really depends on you doing some homework over the next several *months* to determine what path you'll take.

1) Most ancillary software, such as avionics packages, dont require super PCs like the one you need for the sim itself.

2) Depends on what product you like. There's only a handful of options, but you should do a Google search for things such as Sim-A, Project Magenta, Aerosoft Australia, etc. Again- you have to search it out to see what you like most.

3) Many answers- Some use PMDG, others use default with improved .air file. Others have tried POSKY. Again, home work.

4) If you have no budget, but have lots of money, simply call up FDS and place your order for a full 737 setup. It will save you lots of time and effort. If you dont have that kind of funding available, then you will have to sit down, do some homework on what you want to build first, and then budget for it. Many folks start with the MIP and all of its associated panels and systems and fly that while they work on the Center Pedestal and also the Overhead.

One thing is for sure, there are hundreds of hours of research and work involved in building a sim like this. It's all doable, as seen by the many fantastic projects here. But, it takes prudence and tenacity to see it through.

Best of luck!

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
MM7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate...

I was thinking of building the main panel with the autopilot system, CD and yokes...then get a job next year, save up then buy the overhead and pedastel then get a proper job, when I leave school, and save up and finish it off properly...

Just wish things weren't so expensive...as for the programs, what is the most balanced but with a decent price tag?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike Mike Seven

FDS make a good B737NG style MIP. As for the auto pilot - your meaning the MCP and EFIS units. Once again, FDS produce a well respected unit that fits in well with their MIP.

Ace Engineering produce a pretty good rendition of a B737 column & yoke which is true plug & play. Another option is to move towards a real Boeing yoke and convert to FS use. If you don't have the expertise to do the conversion, there are others that do.

Whilst your saving for the remainder of the flight deck, you can always use a less expensive throttle from ThrottleTec or if you want to go little lower in price - Go Flight. You can always sell them second hand when you've decided which TQ option you want to use. Good luck, WilloW
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flight Deck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: