Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aerowinx PSX and B747 CDU (Resolved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PSXUser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Aerowinx PSX and B747 CDU (Resolved) Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this combination works great, but noticing a minor issue:

First, my setup:

Running Aerowinx Alpha 17 as Server, Windows 7.
FDS-CDU v 3.1.5 is running on laptop client machine, Windows XP.

I launch PSX in Server mode first, then AdaptPSX in client mode to power Aerosoft MCP hardware, then on the laptop, FDS-CDU. At this point, sometimes I have an issue:

1) Launching FDS-CDU does not always trigger backlighting. Sometimes I need to close FDS-CDU and re-start a couple of times before the backlighting kicks in. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.

2) When backlighting is on and everything is working, there is no way to dim backlighting. The CDU manual states it is a function of overhead pedestal lighting control, but I believe it was intentional not to include this, therefore not controllable from this rotary. Just wondering.

Thanks for any assistance,
Tom

Last edited by PSXUser on Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jon Boe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's controllable via the dimmer on the overhead.. the Aisle stand panel dimmer. I haven't noticed the issue you raise with the backlighting kicking in.

Cheers,

Jon
Jon Boe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backlighting is the outer potentiometer. Make sure you are moving the correct one
PSXUser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thx for that Jon, I didn't realize there are outer / inner rotaries on that control! Now, its finally working, user error. I am starting to think my laptop is too slow, or possibly low-powered which is why things aren't 'clicking' first time around. Doing some more testing, there might be a setting on my laptop.
PSXUser

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: UPDATE : problem is solved! Reply with quote

I fixed it! Instead of running the FDS-CDU software from the laptop, I am running it on the server machine under local host, which is a much faster machine, and has powered USB ports. The Laptop is still driving the CDU screen, but as I suspected, the USB connection was flaky coming from the laptop. The backlighting and everything else is now stable, even more stable than I dreamed it could be, as there were previously delays every-time I connected the FDS-CDU as client, sometimes even freezing PSX for several seconds. I thought this was normal. No more, its all connecting seamlessly and first time.

If I only would have tried this from the beginning, I wouldn't have seen any problems! I'm grateful there is this option of "where and how" to control hardware!
Jon Boe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it working properly. It's a real hoot having it all work with PSX. ATIS via ACARS, CPLDC, et al. I am also building the flight plans in PFPX and importing them into the PSX routes folder, then uplinking the flight plan the way it's supposed to be done.

Fun stuff.

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: