Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuse blown on the FDS dimmer card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Fuse blown on the FDS dimmer card Reply with quote

Well had the unfortunate opportunity to see a white flash on the dimmer card fuse this afternoon.

I have 5V plugged into the card. Is it dangerous to have the potentiometer connected to the card not set to zero (all the way to he left) when you turn on the PSU?

My only explanation was a power surge, or just a very unstable PSU - at random times prior to the burnout of the fuse the power would cut when I moved the potentiometer to the right to apply backlighting.

PSU is connected to a motherboard (no cpu, ram or any system installed) and the 5v lead to the dimmer card.

Thank you.

Ben
Jetcos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send me a picture of how you wired this? (Email)

Several hundred Dimmer Boards out there working just fine.
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetcos wrote:
Send me a picture of how you wired this? (Email)

Several hundred Dimmer Boards out there working just fine.

Hi Steve, wired up as per the manual. The 5v red lead and ground wire correctly placed.

The board works fine - I replaced the fuse and it is working again.

Just concerned with turning on the PSU with the backlighting also turned on and if this can cause a surge.

Thank you.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should not be an issue.

On the PSU we connect the connect the Green wire to a Black wire to trigger the PSU. Google has many webpages explaining that. Not sure what you are doing with a PSU connected to a MB. (No need to explain)
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetcos wrote:
Should not be an issue.

On the PSU we connect the connect the Green wire to a Black wire to trigger the PSU. Google has many webpages explaining that. Not sure what you are doing with a PSU connected to a MB. (No need to explain)

Hi Steve,

Initially I was shorting the PSU (connected green to black), using the usual paperclip method. That proved to be an issue because the power would cut when maximum IBL was applied (potentiometer all the way to the right).

I connected to a motherboard and this seem to have solved the problem. I am planning now to build a new system on this motherboard, and setting up the avionics component on this computer, along with 5v + 12v on the same PSU leading up to power the backlighting and flood lights of the simulator.

Is this regarded as a bad idea?

I will replace the PSU - I have a feeling it could be a source of my issues (will go with a more reputable brand like Cosair next).

Thank you.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the PSU isn't big enough for the load.

I have never heard of getting power from a computer to run the sim. Separate would be better. Cut the Green and solder/shrink warp it to the black wire.

Make sure if you are running multiple panels you use more than a single red/black wire. We run 3 red and 3 black to the IBL Dimming board to carry the 5V load.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: