Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Key Kit LEDs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lestat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Key Kit LEDs Reply with quote

'Perhaps this sounds a little dumb but being not overly electrically technical I am just going to ask anyway. There are yellow LED's in the key kits and I believe there is a difference between each of the two wires/leads coming from them. Perhaps anode and cathode but then I am no LED expert. In looking over the large key kit example it mentions placing one anode next to the other cathode. That said the yellow LED's have no distinctive marking between the two leads. I suppose I could attempt to light them to determine which is which on each of them. The question:
Is there a difference between the two leads?
Is there some visual way to tell (not by lead length)?
If not visual can I safely test this somehow?

I believe I can use 5vdc and a 1K ohm resistor to test them? (If I connect it backwards will this just blow the LED?

Given these question I sure am happy that this is such a low amount of power or I would already have fried myself I am sure...Smile
mark_ukd171

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there some visual way to tell (not by lead length)?

Not sure what you mean - the two legs should be different lengths, that is the way to tell them apart. Anode and Cathode is correct.
An incorrect polarity will not work and provided the current is low should not cause damage (I think!) though its not recommended Laughing
P Cos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: LED Reply with quote

Sometimes the edge of the LED is actually flat on one side. Look closely for this as its a common differentiator.
For wiring this is on the page:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/faq/technical.htm
PC
lestat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:45 pm    Post subject: Key Kit LED's Reply with quote

I have found the flat spot. It is only along the bottom and quite small. This is also the negative (-) side as I tested a few out to see if I was seeing correctly. A little sanding/grinding and I should have a lot of Large Key kits ready. Thanks for the help
lestat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Key Kit LED's Reply with quote

I grinded the rounded portion off of a few and they fit perfectly. This is great as I need to build a number of standoff's to hold the plexi backers and panels in place for the EFIS. I ended up with #6 bolts (found then in 3 foot lengths and used a hacksaw to cut them down to size. I needed to grind the ends of them off so that the nuts would fit back on them. The grinder makes small work of this. It seems that grinding makes the LED's appear brighter as well (if this is possible?) and if so is a real bonus. I am now going to paint all the keys black so the light from one does not affect another. I have somehow convinced my wife to paint all the keys Wink This is starting to come together now and really a lot of fun!!

Thanks for the tip, Russ Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: