Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 10 (Upgrade or wait?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Windows 10 (Upgrade or wait?) Reply with quote

Hi,

Long time away... I've started to update all my systems to the latest versions...

I'm preparing my computers to upgrade to Windows 10.
Is Sim-Avionics compatible? Or do I have to wait...

What goes up, must eventually come down!
http://www.flightsim737ng.be

Last edited by GDR on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jetcos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure it may work but we have not tested it.

I suggest you don't and wait. Any Windows 10 issues may be hard to sort out if we don't run Windows 10. I won't be switching over.

There are many features in Windows 10 that need to be turned off as well. I was told it was "peer to peer" for updating other users switching over. So Microsoft is actually using your PC to help transfer the W10 update...if so that would slow things down on your PC when you are trying to maximize the PC you have.

Just my opinion.

What advantage are you expecting by switching/upgrading to Windows 10?

Weigh in if you want....
PatSim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only upside I can see to switching W10 is maybe Microsoft will stop annoying me to switch to W10. Seriously I'm holding off until the new Skylake CPU & Chipset capabilities allow me to build a 3x70" screen 4k display setup ( as implied by Microsoft) w/ 3 980 Zotac GPU's. Got to go my last hit off the pipe is warring off.

Pat
787 George

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Windows 10 Upgrade Reply with quote

I attempted the Win 10 upgrade on my Sim Avionics computer and it would only recognize two of the three video cards installed. I was using the latest video drivers from Nvdia, (that were for Windows 10) and I never could get it to recognize that third video card. So I attempted the roll-back to Windows 7 and guess what? Of course you guessed it, the rollback FAILED. So wound up doing a fresh install of Windows 7 again and everything worked.

Stupid disclaimer below:
Your mileage may very, some restrictions apply, offer not valid in the US or anywhere else for that matter..

So if you have a weekend and want to attempt it, try at your own risk but it would be less painful to just go ahead and shoot yourself in the foot. LOL
gpratt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Sim-Avionics and Windows 10 Reply with quote

Is Sim-A fully compatible with Windows 10. Should I make the jump to Windows 10 now that I'm getting a new PC for P3D and using my old i5 windows 7 for SimA and the avionics side of things.

Gary
Jetcos

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people have been sticking to Windows 7 but I have not seen any issues with Windows 10. I use it on my Laptop running FSX and Sim-A.
gpratt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Thanks for the quick reply. I will bite the bullet and move over to Windows 10. See you on the other side Smile

Gary
Jean Louis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all
I confirm that says steve
JL
Kennair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just upgraded mine to Win10 after testing it on a laptop and have no issues running P3Dv3.2 and Sim-A apart from one issue. I only hear ATC sound from the Sound module but no other sounds. When I try to change the sound device within the setup it brings up a Directsound error saying it can't activate the device (or something similar).
737SimGuy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have upgraded all five of my sim computers to Win 10. Only had one issue which was my CDU machine (it runs all three cdu's). After a few runs all my usb ports went dead. Turns out there is a bug in Win 10 "Fast Start", which uses hibernation features and allows the computer to boot faster. I disabled that and everything returned to normal.

It's working great.

James

P.S. - I did make sure to turn off all the potentially bad things such as data mining and update propogation etc...

P3D 3.2 and Xplane 1045
Sim-Avionics
Winstonc

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated my Sim-A and Prepar3d computers yesterday to Windows 10 from 8.1 without problems and I am getting a slightly improved frame rate..

David
thomas747400

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have upgraded all my PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10... No problems encountered, all is working fine.
Flyboy2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to upgrade my avionics PC to Win-10 without a problem but my flight PC after two attempts to upgrade is another story. The graphics is supplied by two GTX-760 cards running in SLI mode which works great with Windows-7. However they are not recognized by the Win-10 system (gives a "code 43"). After reloading video drivers several times and searching the web for solutions, I have given up and reverted the PC back to Win-7. I suppose when I can afford a new GTX-1080, then I will try again but will probably lose out on the free Win-10 upgrade.

Gordon
Seattle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: