Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glareshield Key Kit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Glareshield Key Kit Reply with quote

Just received my nova glareshield w/switches, and was wondering someone could tell me when you should use the star shaped button covers versus the small rectangle ones and which would be better to build the buttons first then fit them into the plexi backers or glue as you build up from the plexi to the front panel if that makes any sense. Very excited to build this kit.

Mark
lestat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:37 am    Post subject: Glare Shield Key Kits Reply with quote

I am also working on these and just picked up a grinder so I can grind a little off of the LED's. Have you had a chance to see the FAQ section for general build tips/large key kits? I have been following that example by gluing the key to the small square piece with led holes, then place leds into the large section and glue it to the key (just use the LED's to insure that I have the right alignment. Then the star, insert the LED's and then the large square last. I am also building the key's first and then placing them on the holder's. I ended up using #6 bolts to attach the key kit holders to the plexi backer on the EFIS and 1 bolt and 1 lock washer provided just the correct amount of spacing between the holder and backer. I am going to try the same system for the glare. Just not sure how many washers/nuts it will take to create the correct spacing. I will post some information once I have the key kits completed. Hopefully tonight.
markt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with the EFIS but don't see any LED holes predrilled like the FAQ section of FDS site. is this something you are doing yourself

Mark
lestat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small key kits do not have holes drilled for LED's however I also do not believe that these keys get lit in the real plane. At least they do not light up in project magenta's EFIS. The small key kit example seems to mention that you could add led's yourself by purchasing some small ones and then drilling some small holes into the keys. I did not attempt this as I did not think it was correct for the EFIS. Even on the Center Console I believe that the LED's do not light the small key's but on some panels (like the Radio Panels) they light up the text just above the panel. For the EFIS there are no special lights that I could tell (but perhaps someone else has added some special lighting for the keys?)? I am planning on adding some lights to provide backlighting to the whole panel and expect to use small light bulbs (2-5 Watt) inside the enclosure but not directly attached to any portion of the panel itself. Of course I first need to purchase a power supply and check up on my life insurance before I start wiring anything above an LED or switch Smile
markt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at the matt o's ELITE tutorial it looks like he is lighting them individually although I can't say I know if they are suppose to be or not. I translated the page you mentioned earlier on the large and small key kits. I will try that later tonight also.

Mark
Idea
hfbond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Key Kit Lights Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that Matt does have the right ideal. The small keys do light up. At least they did on the last 737 I looked at in the factory. It is an indication of which system is in operation at any given time. Just for fun start up FS2002 or FS2004 and play with the switches to see what happens. You will see that some turn off when others are turned on.

Not that FS is any indication of the real thing but you will see why Matt is lighting his keys. I plan on lighting mine also.

Good luck on what ever you decide to do. I hope you are having as much fun building your sims as I am building mine. It is a big challenge but so satisfying when you see the results of your efforts as you work through each step.

Frank Bond
www.737flightsimulator.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: