Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 position switch, use 2 positions to save on inputs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: 3 position switch, use 2 positions to save on inputs? Reply with quote

Hi, jetmax user here with a sys1x board to drive my OH panel

I am sure I read that where you have eg a 3 position switch lets say for eng start, you only need to wire and assign 2 of the 3 switch positions because the software logic will identify that if positions 1&3 are not active, the switch must be in position 2?

Am I dreaming this or maybe confusing another product!

If its possible can somebody point me in the right direction, otherwise I will get all those additional switch positions wired up!

many thanks Keith
Jetcos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the Avionics software you are using there are ways to tell the software that the switch is in the "OFF" position. 3 position switches for example need to know you went from ON to OFF in the aircraft, from OFF to ON or Start like the APU. (the ON position on the panel is actually an OFF position on the hardware)

Once you get the system it will all make sense.
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith

I'm by no means an expert at SysBoard logic so I'll be looking to learn something here too.

In switching though there is an OFF position and that position doesn't require a wire and maybe that was the logic?

I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers
Michael
kand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx guys, using simA

not talking about momentary switches here, mainly rotaries

the sys controller knows if a switch is live/on, the sys controller "could" know how many swtich positions that switch has in real life (or should have or configurable). The logic would be that because APU start is not live, neither is APU off, then the switch must be set to APU on? this would save wiring an input for APU on

get my drift!
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith

The APU Start position may be "momentry" but you still need to tell the software that you want it to start the APU.

I think it's more about inputs than switches.

Michael
kand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the start and off inputs would be connected so a start signal would be there, it's only the 3rd position which doesn't need to be sensed logically because by process of elimination if the other outputs are not set, the last position must be. I am using 3 position rotaries for most of my switches, this means the switch is always in a connected position (on-on-on) and the software is always

Anyway, it appears this is not a feature so I will need to wire the remaining 3rd outputs of my rotary switches

Cheers
MarkHastings

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. In the Sim-A Sysboard Controller to detect the Non-Wired position you use the Assignment 1 and Assignment 2.
Depending on which position isn't wired.....You assign the OFF Event of the switches each side of the non-wired input.

As an example :
For an APU switch : OFF ON START
Inputs : 1 2 3
If only inputs 1 and 3 are wired, you would assign the OFF event of inputs 1 and 3 to the APU ON function.
APU OFF = input 1
APU Start = input 3

If only inputs 2 and 3, you would assign the OFF event of input 2 to the APU OFF function.
APU ON = input 2
APU Start = input 3

It's not complicated once you get your head around Switch ON Events and Switch OFF Events. Smile
Mk882004

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread because I was wondering the same thing, I was thinking of saving inputs on the engine start switches, only wiring GND, CONT, and FLT, hoping then when no signal is received from the switch it would put it in the OFF position in the sim. What was the final ruling on this? Is that the way InterfaceIT works? Or do you have to have an input on all for options?
Jetcos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what Avionics software you are using and which Interface program.

An OFF assignment can be assigned to the positions on each side of the Off position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS - Interface Products All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: