Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ACARS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
efpg0708

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: ACARS Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I did some research on the net and on the Sim-A manual, but I'm completely lost regarding the ACARS function

The way I see it, I can either use the SimA server or
http://www.hoppie.nl/acars/ correct ?

I've tried to find where I can request a metar, send an ATC clearance to the FMC, send a message with my loadsheet to the FMC, for example But without success. Could anyone help me on this please ?

Thanks

Eduardo
thomas747400

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eduardo,

I have not yet used the Sim-A server for ACARS purposes but from what I can gather in the manual this option only allows you to send messages between aircraft presumably only aircraft running Sim-A.

I use Hoppie's ACARS. It is quite easy to set up, just log onto the Hoppie website and generate a free access code which you then enter into the relevant Sim-A textbox. All you need to do then is to just enter an airline flight number in your INTI page and you will be automatically connect to the ACARS server.

Once connected, you can send a message to anyone connected to the server or you can send Load Sheets, Takeoff Data or Landing Data form TOPCAT to your ACARS. I have currently some issues sending and receiving messages but I am still looking into the cause of it.

METAR reports are only available via Sim-Options in the CDU as far as I know.

Are you using VATSIM? If so, the hoppie server lets you connect to certain ATC stations and you can get clearances via ACARS datalink.

Hope this helps

Thomas
omera60

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Hoppie ACARS code, I unchecked the sim a ACARS server and filled the 2 boxes necessary however I don't know how I can utilize TOPCAT properly to use it, can someone give me and everyone else the instructions on how to use it?

Best,
Omer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merhaba Omer,

Once TOPCAT is running, just push the F7 key and enter your ACARS details including a call sign... Make it something unique TRK DP > "Turkish Airline Dispatch" I would keep the name quite short because you will need to enter the station name via the CDU to send messages etc... also, do not use any characters that are not featured on the CDU. At this point, you may hit the "Test Connection" tab to make sure you have everything setup correctly.

Once this is done you can see all station that are currently logged onto the server... If you have logged your Sim onto ACARS, you should now be able to see your call sign listed in TOPCAT.

To send a message from TOPCAT to your sim, simply enter your airline call sign in the "Send to" tab, select "TELEX" in the "Type" drop down menu, type your message and hit send.

For take off data reports, after you select "Compute", select "Results", select ACARS in the POP up menu, change the "Type" to "TELEX" and hit send.

I have seen some other networked avionics solutions can directly interrogate TOPCAT by sending Airport, ACT RWY, TOGW etc. data to TOPCAT which in turn automatically returns takeoff data (de-rates, v speeds etc) via ACARS to your CDU within 30 second or so... This would be a pretty cool feature to have in Sim A if it has not already been implemented... Mark/ Steve Wink
efpg0708

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys !

Thanks for the answers !
efpg0708

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Quick question here: I was able to configure my account and connect my FMC with Hopie.nl, and send messages to my FMC via TOPCAT. However, only the first line of my messages are being displayed on the FMC screen when I select the message.

Anything I could be missing

Thanks

Eduardo
omera60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas747400 wrote:
Merhaba Omer,

Once TOPCAT is running, just push the F7 key and enter your ACARS details including a call sign... Make it something unique TRK DP > "Turkish Airline Dispatch" I would keep the name quite short because you will need to enter the station name via the CDU to send messages etc... also, do not use any characters that are not featured on the CDU. At this point, you may hit the "Test Connection" tab to make sure you have everything setup correctly.

Once this is done you can see all station that are currently logged onto the server... If you have logged your Sim onto ACARS, you should now be able to see your call sign listed in TOPCAT.

To send a message from TOPCAT to your sim, simply enter your airline call sign in the "Send to" tab, select "TELEX" in the "Type" drop down menu, type your message and hit send.

For take off data reports, after you select "Compute", select "Results", select ACARS in the POP up menu, change the "Type" to "TELEX" and hit send.

I have seen some other networked avionics solutions can directly interrogate TOPCAT by sending Airport, ACT RWY, TOGW etc. data to TOPCAT which in turn automatically returns takeoff data (de-rates, v speeds etc) via ACARS to your CDU within 30 second or so... This would be a pretty cool feature to have in Sim A if it has not already been implemented... Mark/ Steve Wink

Merhaba Thomas, Smile

Thanks for the information, now everything is up and running like a charm.

It would be a nice feature to have Wink

Best...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Not sure when the last part of the message started to get truncated... it used to work...

I've just looked at this and have corrected it, so now the complete telex message gets sent.
thomas747400

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Cool, I can now receive the complete message but I am still not able to send any messages out... Think

I tried sending a position report and TELEX from the ACARS to a station but the message is not received and is not being displayed on the hoppies network log...

Regards
Thomas
markjordan34

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get this to work on the TOPCAT side of things, but cannot send messages to my CDU?
www.facebook.com/BA777HomeCockpit/
www.twitter.com/MarkJordanHD
Marco Eckl 777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you a setup your flight you give it a Flightnbr.
Then go to FMC COMM and go to LOGON enter the name of the Station you gave Topcat. Send a logon and you should receive a ding dong in your Topcat.

Afterwards when sending a msg to your CDU always choose Telex and choose your callsign in the list.

Hit send an should work.

Video is online on my Youtube channel.
FDS-777-MX-MCP
FDS-777-MX-Overhead
FDS-777-PRO-MX Pedestal
ACE 777 Proline Yoke
https://facebook.com/B777SSTDHomecockpit/
http://www.b777homecockpit.com
markjordan34

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marco, I'll give it a go and report back
markjordan34

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marco,

Just checked and I can't see my station in the online section? Strangely, if I change the name of my station in TOPCAT, the previous name then comes online!

Strange!
markjordan34

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorted Smile
Marco Eckl 777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Laughing
FDS-777-MX-MCP
FDS-777-MX-Overhead
FDS-777-PRO-MX Pedestal
ACE 777 Proline Yoke
https://facebook.com/B777SSTDHomecockpit/
http://www.b777homecockpit.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: