Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound System "survey"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Sound System "survey" Reply with quote

A proper sound system is as important as a good visual display. (IMHO)
My goal is to split sound from at least 4 sources.

ATC , GPWS and Chatter from the ceiling speakers
Wind and avionics buzz from the MIP
Engines from the backwall
Gear up/dwn , runway roll, brakes, etc from mid section.

Any other source I missed?
Did you achieve that, and how?
How many sound devices (cards)?
What kind of sound hardware ( home cinema ? )

Jack
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my list of things to do after I complete my sim upgrade.

My first thought was

ATC (including Vatsim) Ceiling and Headsets
Engines and Cabin Calls behind (includes flap and gear sounds)
All GPWS and all other warning sounds in MIP
Wind and Avionics in ceiling but separate system form ATC

Plan at the moment is
2 Sound cards on FS PC, one for engines+ the other for ATC
1 sound card on Avionics PC
1 sound card on Avionics 2 PC

was going to use Sim Avionics Sound Client installed on all 3 PC's to help distribute the sounds to the speakers?

Looking forward to hearing how others are doing it, open to ideas

Cheers
Michael
cmantel1

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Hi Jack and Michael Reply with quote

I too am updating my sound systems. I bought a new system for the FS computer sounds,and a cheap one for SimA sounds. In time I will build a shell (or buy one from FDS), and arrange the sounds in a proper configuration.

However, for the time being, I am just trying to get the sounds to be a bit more "authentic".

You seem to have abundant experience with this issue, so I am addressing this question to you:

Could you comment on how you have your sound "VOLUMES" set up. I want the sounds to be reasonably authentic; I dont want to blast the engine sounds like I have heard/seen others do because they like the "power" sounds. But I am a bit more authentic minded.

So could you suggest sounds levels for SimA (in numbers in the sound volume sliders)?

That being said, I "DO" love the sounds of the flaps and brakes and rattle/roll. so I would like to bang those up a bit. I dont know why, but I love them.

For example, in the real 737, how loud are the engine sounds in the flight deck? I know you really cant hear the APU there, but I would like to "just" hear anyway, along with the electric. I do love the new sound package that Mark has put out. Especially the "whine" sound when spooling up for take off and climb.

I know this is a very individual preference, but I am just looking for some beginning suggestions from one with experience; both Jack and MIchael I know have vast experience. Steve, I know you have set up many many flight decks, so if you could chime in here too it would be appreciated.
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always a delicate balance between which sound makes you tick and reality.
On the ground most cockpit sounds (alarms, Air cond, flaps, roll brakes) must not be overwhelming. APU can be faintly heard when started if cockpit is really silent (no AC)

Basically engine sounds are quite muted except for take off and initial climb, Then the apparent wind takes over most other sounds, and that one has to be carefully balanced (and proportional to speed).

Spoiler buffet, gear lock, gear wind are nice additions.

The best way ...explore and have fun
Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: