Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P3Dv4 and Sim A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nigel! Appreciate your leadership on this!
Peter
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
Nige

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Peter, it's what we've all been waiting for!!
MarkHastings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - Just to confirm with FSUIPC 5.102, so far, everything appears to be working correctly.
kand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHastings wrote:
Yes - Just to confirm with FSUIPC 5.102, so far, everything appears to be working correctly.

The simulation rate memory offests have changed, this is the only thing i can find that needs updating.

Pressing the CDU sim rate button to x2/4 does nothing

Also had an issue with the offset trim through fsuipc, values moved but wouldnt change, reverted to the fsim control for now

Last edited by kand on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am migrating to new PCs, does the 64 bits capability means that the P3D computer could be improved to take advantage of it ?
Jack
kand

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

providing you are running a 64bit OS, yes

P3dv4 is a significant leap forward in terms of platform, it may look the same but the opportunities for 3rd party devs to make it look stunning are now a reality
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could someone explain in "for dummies" language what 64 bits means and what are the practical applications/advantages for us simmers.
kand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put simply

A 32bit CPU running a 32bit app cant count as high as a 64bit CPU running a 64bit app.

32bit OS applications (whether running in a 64bit environment or not) can only work in 4GB of virtual address space, this means the CPU is constantly swapping information needed by whatever software is running in and out of its VAS (virtual address space). The infamous out of virtual memory is caused when the OS sees that the app has tried to exceed this limit. This is why previous fllight sim suffers from blurry textures etc etc, the OS cannot remember everything that has been loaded optimally, it has to forget to make way for the scenery that you are flying towards.

64bit Apps can work in up to 128TB of VAS, that is the windows limit. The 32bit 4gb VAS limit is removed which means the program can now grow as large as the RAM you have installed (and as large as the app allows itself, P3d will still manage its size somewhat) until the app then exceeds the pysical RAM installed on the PC and starts swapping out to the Windows swap file ( virtual memory/hard drive). The main benefit is that the CPU does not have to do all the previous 32bit VAS swapping so cycles are saved which give a performance benefit equalling faster FPS.

FOr P3dv4, I have upgrade my RAM to 32gb, v4 uses between 9 and 16gb of VAS. So now the intention is to stop P3d from using the paging file because this will be slower than using the fast RAM.

Once you have all your settings as you like, and have loaded all your favourite addons (test in the hardest hitting airports/area (I always use New York)) you can then ball park how much RAM you will need by monitoring the size of the P3d image using the windows resource monitor. I think 16gb will work ok but really everyone needs to go to 32gb which should for most be a relatively simple upgrade path. Just purchase 2 additional matched sticks of RAM to fill all your slots up with 8gb sticks. Remember the RAM required needs to accommodate all of our processes, so factor in 3 gig RAM just for windows!

On my SVGA side I have a GTX1070 with 8gb RAM, I am finding with v4 that this is getting filled pretty easily with high settings (matched for CPU performance) so the next upgrade will need to be a larger VRAM card when technology catches up. This element is simply a scalar of going 64bit, we are now able to pump more information and it gets cached as opposed swapped

I now use 4096 textures which give much better cloud visuals and all my favorite ORBX sceneries without fear of the dreaded app crash.

hope that helps
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH ! it sure does!
Thank you from a bit/bytes challenged builder. (not alone I'm sure ..lol)
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're definitely not alone there Jack.

I for one am paying close attention to this and other posts.
Confused

Cheers
Michael
Winstonc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only limiting item preventing the swap is WideView to allow running my 3 screen/ 3 pic setup. As WideView has not been updated for a long time I am am not that confident that it's likely to be updated to 64bit.

Are there any alternatives that would work?

David
kand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to ask why you are using wideview? P3d supports viewgroups which removes the need for wideview or you can simply use nvidia surround if you have a modern SVGA card?
Winstonc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 3 4K tv's (running at 4K res each) using three computers with GTX 1070 cards so Nvudia surround won't work.

Does Prepar3d support multichannel?
kand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah that makes sense re 4k

Yes, you can create 3 separate cameras using the viewgroup feature, they all run from 1 copy of p3d on one PC. It wont work across a network of PCs however like in your setup, that feature got dumped in V2 i think.

Viewgroups effectively puts a pre-determined "view" on each of your screens on the P3d PC, there are some very good articles but of course there is a performance penalty. Running 3 synchronised copies of p3d will give better results but you could try 2 1070s in 1 strong PC ( in SLI) and do a test using viewgroups. You have nothing to lose really because I am sure wideview will get an update in time.

cheers

EDIT, it seems viewgroups do support multichannel? http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=124529&p=157181&hilit=viewgroups#p157181
Winstonc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have tried that and was the reason I went to a three computer setup as one high end computer cannot cope with 4K on three screens without turning visuals down.

Thanks

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: