Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do I need ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olealm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: What do I need ? Reply with quote

I just LOVE the idea of building a hardware 737NG cockpit using FDS.

Is there a kit available with all the hardware I need, except FS2k4 and possibly the (LCD) monitors for the panel ?
(ie. panel, knobs, buttons, leds, interface, drivers etc.etc.)

Im thinking everything except the OH panel and yoke(pedals - which could be prosponed until my wallet fills up again...

In that case - what will that cost ?
Will it be comatibl with PMDG 737NG ?
www.737cockpit.no
Frank Bond

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: 737NG Reply with quote

Olealm, I am in the process of building a 737NG also. I am using the Flight Deck Solutions panels, keykits and hardware.

I am going to be using real 737NG Control Columns and Yokes, Throttle Pedestal and Rudder Peddles. This is about the only parts that FDS will not be supplying me. As fas as I know FDS has just about everything else.

My sim is based on using the Project Magenta software with FS2004. So far everything I have done works great together.

Frank Bond
www.737flightsimulator.com
Flyerian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: How much Reply with quote

Think of a price and then double it
Think of a time scale to build the MK1 and treble it
Dismantle your project and build MK2
ETC. for MK3 Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously if you want to buy everything off the shelf you are talking mega bucks, just have a look at the PFC site as an example. Otherwise read the other forums for links to find individual parts, pieces and work rounds.

Before you start, I have three pieces of advice - planning, planning, planning

Flyerian
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: pcos Reply with quote

Very encouraging previous post.. sheesh.
Anyway..

Projects. Usually built in stages and costs spread over a long period of time.
Most projects go together with the MIP and Main/Glare section as the starting point.
From our end, you can get the MIP, the Main panels to populate the MIP, The Glare panels. Key Kits for the small bits that are not available as a store bought item, also Hardware Packs.
From this part you should be setting yourself to fly. Best thing is to get that part of the passion going in the project.
Pedestal and Overhead can follow as budget and time permits.
You can view the old page here:
http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/Nova/B737NG/novab737price.htm
This is an overview page that shows all the parts we currently make.
As far as Mr/Flerian goes.. His point of the sim costing a fortune and PFC etc.. I can't agree.
Some folks will make everything on their own. a few will actually finish and a few might even look like the aircraft they intended to build.
PFC costs what it costs. If you want very solid parts, like yokes and pedals then this is a great product. Cheap? No.. Worth the $$$? In my view yes.
Build in your head. Use the resources out here and you will probably make the project happen..
Part of what FDS is about is being a resource. If I don't know the answer there are 6 other people on the team that likely will. If none of know we likely know where to go for the answer.
PC
olealm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer(s)) !

In my mind Im getting closer to going into action, but realize planning (and echonomy) is the main consern. My q. really was - is there a "kit" available that would give me a nice 737ng start-package - ie. following hardware: main panel with buttons etc. (excl. LCD/CRT hardware), MCP, CDU, Interface, or could such a complete package (in parts of cource) be made upon request ? In this way some of the planning would be left to the "pros", and I guess some of the newbie planning mistakes could be avoided. Getting a package price would also of course avoid project pauses due to uinexpected empty wallets...

Hpoing for an answer like:

- You need the following package(s) :
- This will cost :

.. maybe Im hoping to much.. Smile
www.737cockpit.no

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no real kit as such unless you buy a flightcentre. What you do is select the items available from the aircraft you wish to build. If you follow the link above provided by P cos you will see whats available for the NG. Just put the keykits to the panels and you have your *kit* ie Main glare/panels + main/glare keykit = main/glare kit. This is the basis to start from. Then move to the hardware page and select knobs, rotaries etc that you know that you need and so on. Basically you build the *kit* piece by piece according to your budget at the time. Take your time search the site and write everything down that you need to begin with.
Nils

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

many people thing, that building is an expensive hobby. But donīt forget what Peter said:

Serious building lasts a long time. So there is no reason to buy all at the beginning. just build out of the "box". I you wotch out my (not very actual) picture of my simulator, you can see, that I have not every parts of FDS yet.

I can save some money and after a time I will buy new parts. And getting a parcel from FDS is like christmas!!!!!!!! For me it is time exciting to open the parcel although I know that I have expect high quality parts.

Just starting is the best way to build a sim. Donīt think to my about planing. Most ideas will find a solution but itself while building.

And there is nothing which can not be solved.

Nils
Steve Cos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to what everyone is saying:

Start off in sections and as money/ideas and time come together you build each part as you need it. Biggest thing is to be able to fly your project. That is the whole idea about building a Flightdeck. Peter and I would build and then would fly, not everything worked but we would try things out get more ideas and actually have fun in the process....remember the word FUN! Build some more and fly some more, usually with a few more features compared to that last "test flight".

It takes time and patience but doesn't everything? In the end (if there is one) result you should be able to stand back and look at your project and even pat yourself on the back.

Cheers,

Steve Cos
Norman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils wrote:
And getting a parcel from FDS is like christmas!!!!!!!! Nils

Never a truer word! Im just waiting to hear that Santa Cos has dispatched my latest present. Laughing
Frank Bond

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Presents Reply with quote

I am with you Norman. Can't wait for my next present!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: