Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flight Sim X screenshots link
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pochflyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats not even close to true, at the time that FS2004 was released all you needed was a Athlon 2800+ or above and FX5900 series GPU or so, and you would have done just fine... Yes its true not everyone had that, but most people are now buying 64bit processors. That will be the biggest difference along with the fact that it will use direct x 10. If you don't believe me, just check out the difference between FarCry, and FarCry 64bit. Then you will understand how they can add birds and such to the simulation. Really the actual basis of the simulator is the exact same as FS9 or FS2002. They are all really the same in one, just with new effects and animations. If you have a 64bit cpu, plan on upgrading to vista, and do just fine with the current flight simulator, you will do just fine with FSX!
USA
dnoize

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thats not even close to true, at the time that FS2004 was released all you needed was a Athlon 2800+ or above and FX5900 series GPU or so, and you would have done just fine...

I will have to agree with Fabio. Back in 2003 (when fs2004 was released) a AMD 2800 was a High end machine and with a FX5900 you where nowhere near possible to run FS with details to highest levels at a decent framerate. (and i dont think 15 fps is a decent framerate)

Ur forgetting that Vista ALONE will need a highend machinge (overhead of vista is eve larger again than XP) Let alone VISTA + FSX.

So trust me...you WILL need HIGH end computer + HIGH end GPU by 2007 standard not 2005.

Stef
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a trend with each Windows and FS version update myself. For example, have you ever tried to run FS2000 and FS2004 on the same machine just after upgrading to the latest software and hardware? My frame rates on FS 2000 zoomed up 4 times as fast but were back to ground zero with FS2004. Its a never ending revolution. The bright side to it is by the time the next version of OS or FS is released, most of us will have invested in a high end machine that will AT LEAST run the previous version of FS very quickly. Its as if we are one year behind on staying up with the technology. lol
www.sim737.com
Norman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A320 wrote:
Will FSX be 64bit compatible - Fully Windows Vista (64 bit OS) Compatible. It was launched at a Vista preview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Andrew,

Whilst it will support 64bit it will also run on current versions of Windows XP.
Fabio Miguez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Joe, I have a machine now that has an FX5900XT, Athlon 3000+ XP, 1GB of low-latency memory, and, thanks to several hours of fine tuning, does great in its class in any benchmark.

This machine cannot run FS even close to what I consider acceptable performance with a heavy scenery and weather. This is to show
"acceptable" is a very relative term. FPS, as we all now, are not the only measurement. There is a certain smoothness related to good performance that can be very different between machines running at the same fps.

Keep in mind FS is a different animal than first-person shooters. Far Cry, Doom 3, HL2, are all games with certainly more detail than FS in a scene, but that still run faster than FS9 does today, again in a loaded airport with weather. And all these games are using DirectX9 (FS does use some DX9 extensions). Heck, I get great frame rates in HL2 in this same machine.

Will current top-of-the-line machines run FSX? Absolutely, same for Vista. Does that mean you'll be able to download the best scenery for Frankfurt and put all sliders to the right and still get what you think is good frame rates? That will depend on your version of good frame rates.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just think most in here will agree with me that FS is very tough on hardware. By the way, my original statement that FSX is being designed for the machines of 2007 is in one of the developer's interview videos at gamespot.com.

Best regards,
A320

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman wrote:
A320 wrote:
Will FSX be 64bit compatible - Fully Windows Vista (64 bit OS) Compatible. It was launched at a Vista preview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Andrew,

Whilst it will support 64bit it will also run on current versions of Windows XP.

Was fully aware of this and given members were assuming if was XP compatible and asked if it would work with 64 bit as well I think they all realised too.

Andrew
A320 Builder
We Love Chad Campaign
Pochflyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Only things that developer talks about that are new that simulator will implement are a) DirectX10 instead of DirectX9, b) Shader 3.0 instead of Shader 2.0. Both of these are software based. He says nothing about tailoring it for hardware from 2007. Yes it will be a hit on hardware, but if you do what you can to optimize your software, this will only be a small effect.
USA
Fabio Miguez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

You are correct, it wasn't Mike Gilbert that said that. It was Adrian Woods, the technical art lead for ACES studios at Microsoft Game Studios. One of his responsibilities is Microsoft Flight Simulator.

He mentioned the following phrase in his blog:

"This is part of why we release a product that will max out the highest end hardware at the time of release. We know that two years later, users will still be discovering new stuff via hardware upgrades."

His blog is very interesting, and can be found here.

And FSX will be using shaders 4.0, which is part of DX10, so good for us!

Best regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: