Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

virtual flighdeck 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: virtual flighdeck 2 Reply with quote

Suppressing the 3Dvirtual flightdeck allows to undock neat and full side views without all the (sketchy) graphics of the original Virtual cockpit.
Handy if you plan using multi monitor/projector with one computer. Plus a gain of quite a few fps!!!
(Thank you Fabio)
Quote:
A good hex editor can be found here (Hex Workshop 4.1 - shareware but fully functional for long enough to get the job done and then some):

http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/

Open the mdl file you want to edit and search for the following hex value: 0022003900

In the SECOND occurence of that string, simply change the 39 in 0022003900 to 00. It should now look like this: 0022000000. Save the changes, OK the creation of the backup file then exit Hex Workshop to test it out in MSFS.

Takes 5 mn and works perfectly, even keeps the panning of the view with the mapping of a joystick axle (Z rotation) when hitting S
Fabio Miguez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack,

Glad to hear it worked as you wanted it to! Some pics wouldn't hurt Smile.

Best regards,
DeMuth-Olsen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds very interesting, but, I completly understand what this program does exactly? Are you saying we can run multiple views using one computer additional monitors? How is this done exactly? Do you need a special video card or some other form of interface? How is this program installed so that it works with FS9?
www.sim737.com
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Tchad
No it's not a program, I just used an Hexadecimal Editor to change a value in the mdl file of the 737. The change removes the Virtual cockpit (VC) from the outside view.
When you use the VC( and it only works with the VC) you can assign a joystick axis to panning left and right which allows to adjust very precisely the angles of view, so you are not limited to forward right and forward left. But in this case you see this ugly VC (glareshield, panel, cockpit ,window frames) ...the above step got rid of that....which is a must if you want to have an unobstructed front view spread on 3 monitors/beamers ...

Quote:
Are you saying we can run multiple views using one computer additional monitors? How is this done exactly? Do you need a special video card

The answer is yes, two monitors if the video card has 2 outputs, 3 if it has 3 ...but it is taxing on the fps!!!
I am exploring that, the first step was to remove the VC, it improves a bit the frame rate...
There is another way, several video cards on the same computer ....is it better (mean faster) to use two cards versus one with dual head ..I do not know.?..
I already asked the question on this forum but got no answer.....so I ask again!!!

Having more than one monitor on the server allows a few interesting moves
First and most obvious, having a lateral outside view, which adds 200% to immersion
But it allows too to display the GPS (default or Reality XP), the ATC window, or whichever Gauge you like, or electronic Approach plates, on another screen....like the lower Eicas which has no real use in the 737!!!

I am still toying with all that, if anybody has comments or ideas please feel free....
Have a great WE
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just like to add that the GPS can be made "real" with its own screen and knobs with a simple Keyboard encoder( all functions are assignable to keys in the FS9 assignment menu)...for those like me who are not overexcited by the VNAV automation of the MCDU;
RocketRod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,
Have you seen this thread? http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=122&topic_id=26115&mesg_id=26115&page=2
I tried it on the 172 and the default 737-400. Works occasionally. I normally don't fly with a panel at all (the "W" key), and that is when it works sometimes. Now, if you fly with a panel, it works all the time. Skips right past the VC view. So now I've got to figure out how to fix my little small problem.

737NG Pit Builder
Some Assembly Required
Fabio Miguez

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jack,

Of course, for precise view angle control, and three monitors/projectors setup, you can also use the aircraft.cfg to define what angles exactly you want each additional view to be. That's what most builders do. It is not done in the VC, but in the 2D view, with the panel removed by using the W key a couple of times.

If you need details, do a search in this forum, or visit WidevieW.

Best regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: