Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things we wish we hadn't done when building...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Things we wish we hadn't done when building... Reply with quote

Number ONE on my list is:
http://www.freewebs.com/pjs90/extras.htm

HOLES!

Why do we make them? at 5 mins per hole cut (even with a pillar drill), that's hours out of my life making things no on will ever see again when the sim is finished,

WHY?

a) They look cool
b) They look even better when painted lime green
c) I can use them to poke the cables through
d)They add strength, and take weight from my structure
d) I can make lots of toy trains with the bits left over for the grandkids
e) ! I don't have grandkids!!!
f)No answer? pass back to b) above

Looking forward to your contris guys -

Thanks again for the inspiration..

Paul
PaulWood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest?

I guess I logged out whilst thinking...

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
warvet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
I'm thinking you have far too much time on your hands my friend LOL

Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
PaulWood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,
Long evening in German hotels, with no bits of sim to get on with! Very Happy

Paul

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
Stoney3K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're having a great tactic on your shell though. It actually looks to the untrained eye as if you ripped out some old aircraft bulkheads (complete with the lime green protective paint)...

Do you build the bulkheads out of MDF, chipboard, plywood? And what do you use to make them connect lengthwise? Are you planning to make some kind of inside insulation in your "fuselage" when you're done for the sound?

Great to see the ERJ-145 builders start off as well. We've officially kicked off last Friday and we're currently tearing up a set of CRT monitors to mount n our MIP. I'm busy programming a few bits of software that will allow two copies of FS to be synced, INCLUDING the panel! Meaning you can run your favorite payware add-on panel (feelThere, RealityXP) on a second PC...
Dean Nandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck ! and other similar words !

A Land Rover and flight sim man , I thought that I was the only one.

Btw, I've drilled lots n lots of holes too, so many in fact that I have even invested in aerosol coolant to stop my hole saws wearing out !

Dean, Queenair sim,Land Rover 110 owner and LR mech

Http://simflight.fotopic.net http://www.freewebs.com/4x4servicecentre
PaulWood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Stoney and Dean for your comments.
Still a long way to go, but I will post more details of "How To" on my site when I get time.
Being an airctarft modeller as a boy helped, but the construction is very standard, and uses normal woodworking techniques.
The formers are cut from MDF, using an outside radius of 1.1m, base and top plates screwed and glued, and then 3mm plywood pinned and glued to give rigidity. When dry, this structure is light (thanks to the holes) and quite rigid.

Sidewalls are in two sections, bolted together, and the roof section is one piece, bolted to top plates. Windshield posts are bolted top and bottom, and the whole thing is screwed to a sectional base also bolted together.

The aim was to produce a cockpit which could be dismantled, and pass through a standard door, and be mainly assembled from the inside ( in case of small rooms!)

I will later fit a similar skin on the inside, or trim panels as required.

The aim isnt to be 100% faithful replica, but something that makes you think it is when flying it.

The great thing about the RJ,is its smaller than its bigger, more popular cousins, so costs less in bits, and can fit average rooms. (At least, thats what I told myself!!!)

Cheers!

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
Claes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Since this is "Open Discussions" I dare a non-sim question:

Are you happy with the Noisekiller products for your Land Rover? I have a Defender 90 station wagon (no insulation whatsoever) and would like to do something to reduce the noisse. In the LR forums there has been some not so happy with Noisekiller.....

Need to get away from building the 737NG occasionally Wink

http://www.simbuild.com
http://www.simbuild.com/claes.htm
Dean Nandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Claes,

I know that you didn't ask me but since I have been working on Land Rovers for 21 years I thought that I might reply.

You didn't say what engine you have fitted. Also since you have a station wagon, I am surprised to hear that it has no sound proofing, it doesn't sound like a county model but even the standard Td models usually have some foam fixed to the bulkhead.

Many things affect the noise inside, maybe you have mud tyres and a 200 Tdi, or even the old Turbo D , possibly the noiseist combination.

If you have a TDi and fit the sound deadening pad on the rocker cover and the genuine molded mats that helps.

County spec is the best,rubber moulded mats and carpets. Make sure all the blanking grommets are present in the bulkhead, oh and quite a bit of noise comes thru the seatbox especially above the transmission.

Even the sound proofing on the inside of the bonnet helps to absorb engine noise( and mud,oil,water !)

I've seen many attempts at really making the Land Rover quiet, with even seals around the bonnet to wing area and blankets over the entire engine, all good at keeping the enemy of heat in.

I can't recommend any single product since I believe I have had as much success making my own soundproofing kits at a fraction of the costs of commercially available items. Having owned 3 Fc 101s I reckon I know a bit about noisy Landys.

Dean
Claes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dean,

You have obviously a lot of knowledge and experience... My Landy is a -92 90 SW 200 TDi with mud-and-snow tires as you guessed. The only "carpentry" is the roof. The rest is pure aluminium. I am actually thinking of selling the 90 and my Discovery II (yes, I am crazy enough to have two LR's) and get me a green 110 county instead just to get down to one car and a quiet Defender Cool

But first I'll take your tips for getting the noise level down on Landy - or I may not be able to sell her..

http://www.simbuild.com
http://www.simbuild.com/claes.htm
PaulWood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Claes,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been "off air" for a few days - I agree with Dean, that soundproofing is never 100% OK in a Land Rover - The Noisekiller kit is well dimensioned, but has a foam inner, so will keep wet, but I did like the paint - a sort of liquid latex, which lets you paint panels - you could proably achieve the same with ordinary DIY products.

I've now converted to a 300 Tdi, (more pages to update...) and most of the noise now comes from the bonnet/bulkhead - but its a soft top, so it will always be noisy!

I heard the best soundprofing comes from the people who advertise in LRO for the one piece moulded kits - but they didn't yet have LHD:

Good luck with the sims,

Paul

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
MarkusPilot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things we wish we hadnt done when build a sim?

I wish I hadnt started. ...... is this building every going to end Crying or Very sad

2 years and going strong! or going MAD

M Very Happy
www.markuspilot.com
warvet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus,
srry mate bad news Im going on 6 yrs and it hasnt ended yet. Shocked Crying or Very sad Stop the insanity. I share your pain

Tim
A340
Canada
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkusPilot wrote:
Things we wish we hadnt done when build a sim?

I wish I hadnt started. ...... is this building every going to end Crying or Very sad
2 years and going strong! or going MAD
M Very Happy

Every single day, I ask myself that question (& I've only been at it a few short months) and every day the answer is the same: What would I be doing if I wasn't doing this? The answer is always painful... probably watching some mindless programs on TV, or languishing & wishing I had another (cheaper) hobby which I could be passionate about, or getting on my wive's nerves with my constant moaning, or looking for ways to 'elevate' myself with illegal & harmful substances, or... or ... or ... fill in the blanks.

Bottom line, I don't really like any of the alternatives (for now anyway), so I go back to my workshop in the garage and curse the day where I deleloped this passion for any man made objects that fly, or that pretend to fly like these 'maudit' simulators. Laughing

Maurice
Dean Nandy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that new developments are made and you want to incorporate them. Or you think of a better way to do something.

Or worse still you spend what you can afford making a bit of a compromise on what you want then some company goes and releases a product for the same cost that you had making your "compromise" and because you want better you end up with a cupboard full of bits that you keep because you know no one else wants and you may use one day despite the fact that you have bought the new and better item.

Then of course you end up rambling like this on a forum because no one else around you understands what you are doing or why.

I showed a chap today a pic of my sim, he thought I had bought it that way and he could not grasp in any way shape or form what it was all about or what had gone into making it.

I think the long and short of it all is that I don't wish that I had done anything differently, just that i had more money to do it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: