Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7X7 Control Columns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsheph

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: 7X7 Control Columns Reply with quote

Hi Guys! Does anyone have a tutorial on linking up real 7X7 control columns? I saw one some time back that Frank Bond had done, but can't seem to find it anymore. Thanks!!!!!
chrisw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 'most' of the way through doing this on my own sim -
http://www.virtual737.com/main

I'll add some more pics this week as I've done more work on the yokes and columns. Anything in particular you need to know???

Couple of things I will say, the pitch linkage needs to be strong. If you have the original linkage bar then you'll have no problems, but making your own which locks the two columns together properly is harder than it looks. Roll control is easier to make childproof but needs a bit more 'engineering' to do well.

How much time / effort do you want to spend on the centring / feel??? That's the bit I'm working on at the moment. I'm using gas springs with a low spring rate (and a grease seal so they can be mounted horizontally), plus hydraulic dampers and my own mechnism which means the springs are only active in one direction.

Happy to help if I can.

Chris
jsheph

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching your site for some time now, nice project, looking foreward to seeing some new pics.

I'm working on the pitch linkage right now and that's where I'm having problems keeping it strong so that both columns work together without any slipage. I wish I could find the real linkage bar, or should I say reasonably priced real linkage bar. Make thinks a lot easier, but then again not as much fun, right?

If you've got any pics or a sketch of how you build your crossover bar in more detail, That's where I'm stuck now.

For the roll linkage, I've got that one covered (at least in theory) already.

I do want the right feel for centering and would rather spend my time working on that then the engineering of mastering the pitch.

Thanks for the reply!

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: