Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Simulator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: My Simulator Reply with quote

Hello, I'm Billy Murphy I'm 14 years old and I have decided to create my own simulator. I have read through the forums and everyone seems to be willing to help one another so hopefully I could get a bit of help.

As I just said I'm only 14 so I don't exaclty have a bunch of money, but I'm determined to create a simulator no matter how long it takes. My problem is I cannot chose between the A320 and the B744! It's quite difference I know, but I like the A320 for it's simplicity and I find it easy to fly and I don't always like long flights, however I have thought about the B744 becuase they maybe a times when I want to do long haul flights and I can fly the B744 easily. I am really stuck on what to do! I could do a short haul flights with the 744 if I fancy a short flight, but the A320 seems much easier to build and there is a space on the pedestal on the 320 that I could add that FDS-MFP. The FDS-MFP is only for the Boeing but it wouldn't matter to me becuase it doesn't even exist in real aircraft.

My decision here stands at a cross road! Anybody out there that can give me some advice on my decision and help me out here.

Any help appreciated.

-Billy

Last edited by Billy on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
warvet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Im not really the welcome wagon ambassador here but welcome anyway. By the looks of it you live in a place alot of us enjoy flying to for the amazing scenery. As far as your choice its just that, your choice. Good luck with your challeging endeavor Smile

Tim
A340
Canada
Billy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I would go with the 320 but I'd like to do long range flights...but would I have time to do them? I think I'll just do a little more thinking.

Billy

P.s Yeah, Tenerife has amazing scenery. There's a certain place only visitable by boats...I suppose small props to. We also have the 2nd highest cliff in the world, 3rd biggest volcanoe in Spain or Europe. One of them.
W9XE/Project777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Billy

You might think about the Boeing 777 as another choice. It has some of both long and short haul. Simplicity in the cockpit with all digital display.

Since cost is another factor to weigh in a project the 777 might fit the finacial bill as well. You will be seeing some new 777 here in the near future.

I started out with a helicopter, then B717 but due to lack of industry support I decided to switch to the 777. Stocking up the Paypal account to get early in line for the IBL Series 777 parts.

Something to consider Cool
Billy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is going to be more 777 things here soon? But how long is near future and where can I get the panels for the time being?

I appreciate your suggestion.
RocketRod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fly around the world in the A-320. Not contiually, but it can be done. After 3 hours, I'm ready to get out of the seat.

(Geez, can't believe I'm advocating someone to build a "Bus") Embarassed

Welcome to the insanity Billy!

737NG Pit Builder
Some Assembly Required
Billy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...maybe some pitstops might be entertaining rather than watching the sky for 7 hours with nothing to do apart from tune frequencies. I'm not sure on the 777 though becuase I cannot find places to get the panels from, but the A320 has one part on the MIP that seems to need some thinking about. The 2 screens above the centre pedestal, I read that you would need to turn a 17'' lcd on it's side to use that unless you have an 8'' lcd screen. I think thatw as from www.a320project.com

A fear I have is losing intrest within 6 months of the project and then it will seem like I wasted my money. I would really like to do it now, but the time I plan it and get the money I might of gone off the idea. I can't see it happening but others seem to think so. I think it would be a great ahcievement for me, at this age, to build a great simulator with the ammount of money I would be earning.
Garys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Billy and welcome.

What aircraft to build is always a hard choice. The best thing to remember as your deciding which aircraft to build is that there is absolutely no reason to base your decision on what aircraft to build based on what that aircraft does in real life. In flight simulator you can fly an a320 from London to Hongkong nonstop or a 747 from London Heathrow to London Gatwick. I think alot of people forget this. Base your decision on the aircraft you love the most and you will never have any regrets.

Gary
W9XE/Project777

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy

I hope you have gone to the FDS Home page http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/ The drop down menu gives you the panels and prices FDS has available. They are constantly add new items.

Search in the forum and you will find many pictures of the panels.
warvet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
Quote:
You might think about the Boeing 777 as another choice. It has some of both long and short haul. Simplicity in the cockpit with all digital display.

Since cost is another factor to weigh in a project the 777 might fit the finacial bill as well. You will be seeing some new 777 here in the near future.

I started out with a helicopter, then B717 but due to lack of industry support I decided to switch to the 777. Stocking up the Paypal account to get early in line for the IBL Series 777 parts. I hope you have gone to the FDS Home page http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/ The drop down menu gives you the panels and prices FDS has available. They are constantly add new items.

Search in the forum and you will find many pictures of the panels.

The way you hard sell the 777 lol you should work for Boeing in their sales dept. Smile Just bustin your Balls Larry Very Happy by the way all jokin aside I think your signature icon is pretty sweet Smile

Tim
A340
Canada
vidarf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few long-haul flights in the 747, but that is NOT something for me. Therefore I decided that the 737 was what I wanted. I prefer short legs. I think Gary and Billy nailed it: In the simulator you can do what you want. And doing several "pit stops" make things busy.

Suggestion: Make plans for "a day's work as a pilot" in your sim. Fly Tenerife - Madrid - Rome - Sevilla - Tenerife. With turnaround at each airport! That should make your day pretty busy!
And you won't have to "watch the sky for 7 hours with nothing to do apart from tune frequencies", as Billy so elegantly put it. Smile

That way, you can decide based on experience.

I did choose the 737 because I can fly short legs (realistically setting at play here), it is the most common airplane here in Norway (thus it is a good chance for me to get inside one and "poke around"), at the time I started building there was a lot of 737 goodies available and last, but not least: the 737 is my favvy airplane! Smile
I decided to go for a 737-800 or -900 because of the cockpit layout, and because those birds can fly pretty long legs. If I want to escape the realty for prolonged time, that is... Smile
pdpo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Why not build the A320. Cockpit layout of the A330 is not very far from it....
just some changes in display ... but thats software so...
A320 allows for medium long flights and A330 allows long haul....

Anyway, I have a hard time understanding someone doubting between
an airbus and a boeing. Eventhough they are coming closer together
with the glass cockpits, the Fly By Wire system of the airbus makes it
a different flying experience to a boeing.
I will not start the fights again between the bus and boeing drivers.
It is just a matter of which experience you feel most enjoyable
that is what should make up your decision of what you like to fly/build.

Each of the two has its pros and cons.... like the 777 : can do long and medium and short haul
With a 747 you can do also short and long haul....
From airbus perspective you can fly A319/A320/A321 for medium and short haul and the A330 for long haul (almost the same cockpit)
the A340 allows for all of the distances but is the four engine variant.

Just my two cents
Peter
Belgium
Billy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am thinking of going for the A320 becuase there are alot of them flown by Iberia and I like the craft. The last time I went on a Boeing, serious the turbulence was so bad everyone, when I say everyone I mean alot of people including the stewardess was throwing up everywhere. It was funny to watch my friend get puked on....gutted. Funny flight...

Back on topic, I think I'm gunna go for the A320 for a number of reasons but every now and then I want to jump into a big craft, but then there's the A330, but last time I flew that on FSX it was a freeware aircraft and there was no landing gear and made a belly.
737aqua

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest waiting mate, the YI or A320 replacement will be released soon enough - and the 787/350 has an all glass cockpit. Don't turn away from boeing just because of one turbulent flight, that would be falacious reasoning.
Billy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously won't turn away from Boeing, I was just sharing and experience. How often is soon?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: