Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain v copilot eyepoint problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbruce

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Captain v copilot eyepoint problem Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get around the issue I have in my 737 cockpit where the view down the centreline is fine for the captain, but when I move into the copilot seat there is a strong feeling that you are steering the aircraft about 45 degrees to the left (to keep on the centreline).

I can solve it if I pan the view a couple of clicks to the left so that the centreline runs down towards the copilot (instead of the captain), but in that case the captain gets the feeling of steering 45 degs to the right!

As I guess quite a lot of folks fly with 2 pilots, how do you get around this?

Best
Charles
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The topic has been widely debated on various forums, make a search using "Crab effect".
To the best of my knowledge there is no real solution because of the way the image is generated by FS.
But other will chime in with maybe a more complete/positive answer (Nat?) Wink
Cheers
Jack
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacks points are "bang on"...
The other element that greatly increases this problem is distance between the pilots and the screen/LCD. The closer it is the worse it gets. As you mover further away from the image the problem starts to shift to a more positive presentation.
I think there are some lengthy discussions in here as Jack mentions...
Peter
Flightdeck Solutions (FDS)
cbruce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, I'll take a look at those forums....interesting to know about the distance because I have LEDs right on the windscreen of the cockpit, which is probably why the problem is accentuated as you say
Best
Charles
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the screens on the front windows is the worst solution as wherever you move your head, the image stays the same. Which is totally irrealistic.
When seen at a distance from the cockpit (4-8 feet), assuming the image is big enough, you must see more sky through the window when you lean down and more ground when you raise up, same for lateral vision.
Garys

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have setup separate captain and f/o views. Pilot in command will have the correct view loaded. The pilot not flying will be out to lunch on the ground but once in the air its unnoticeable.

Doing it this way, the pilot flying will not see the crabbing effect and stops trying to overcorrect on short final which means less chance of motion sickness for the pilot not flying.
cbruce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackpilot, understood unfortunately I cannot change my setup for the near future, I went from projectors to 4 TV LEDs some months ago, as I have a motion platform and trying to get projectors on this is a big deal, especially with the weight of the large frame needed for the big screen. Apart from this one issue we are discussing, I have not looked back on the positives of LEDs: less costly to buy, no maintenance costs with bulbs, no external light issues, no need for warping/blending and the quality of the image is second to none.

THis led me to already doing what Garys suggested, I set up a FSUIPC button to pan left/right depending if the captain or FO is flying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: