Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-Plane 10 & 11 Set-up Info From Ian (updated 3/20/18)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: X-Plane 10 & 11 Set-up Info From Ian (updated 3/20/18) Reply with quote

Updated 03/20/2018 16:22EST

X-Plane (10 & 11) with Sim-Avionics and FDS hardware.

Hello Fellow Home Cockpit Builder,

Here is a summary of my system and some things that took time to figure out. If you are a fellow X-Plane user or looking to get started, this may save you some time and/or give you some suggestions about how to proceed. I will add information as I have time. Though feel free to contact me directly if you have questions, I enjoy talking discussing the ins and outs of my system.

* Things that are and aren't simulated or interfaced between Sim-Avionics Logic and X-Plane:

Landing Gear-OK

Air Conditioning Packs-OK

Hydraulics-NO, Sim Avionics will show no hydraulic pressure, but the flight/handling characteristics do not change as this data is not conveyed to X-Plane.

Light-PARTIAL, All landing and taxi lights can be assigned to one switch on the overhead, the Anti-Collisoon and Position Lights each work on their own switch as well. In total three overhead switches actually control lights on the aircraft. Also, Sim-Avionics logic will open the doors (and show overhead door open warning lights when the Anti Collision switch is OFF).

MCP-OK

Flaps-OK

Throttle-OK ***Note that a change must be made in the idle speed of the x737 model in order to use it in X-Plane 11 otherwise the engines will be stuck at around 19% N1 and not advance at all***

Reverser-OK ***Note that I changed the "Fixed Reverser Level Adjustment" in the Server to a value of 1200, this causes the Reversers to go to about 81% N1 which from what I read is the correct maximum reverse available on a real aircraft.

Fuel-OK

Engine Start/Shutdown-OK

Magnetic Start Switches (overhead)-OK

Tiller-OK

Yoke-OK

Rudder-NOT working properly since Sim Avionics Version 8.x. See below for more detail.

--------------------------
Aircraft Model: EADT x737 Project

***Notes about how to configure the aircraft (there are two different sets of modifications, one for X-Plane 10 and one for X-Plane 11). I would like to post the edited aircraft model, but I don't know how to attach files to this post. Send me a private message if you would like me to send it to you (or tell me how to post a file here)

Details coming soon

X-Plane 10
Use PLANEMAKER to adjust the following items then save changes:

1) Lights - To make the exterior lights turn on and off with the FDS overhead switches, you must do the following, in PLANEMAKER/Exterior Lights, change all lights to "taxi" except the two strobes. You will see what I am talking about when you open PLANEMAKER. After you do this, all landing lights can be turned on and off using the "FIXED R" landing light switch. So far I have not been able to find a way to separate them, but is the next best thing. Also, the Beacon and position lights will work with the appropriate switches without any changes.

2)Fuel - You will get a center tank 'Config' warning. Turn on the center tank fuel pumps (overhead panel) to clear this.

3)Trim - Open PLANEMAKER and change the default takeoff trim setting to 0.00, then assign a button on your yoke (I use the mic transmit button, since I'm not using it for anything else) to 'set takeoff trim', which will reset the trim to the value you have just set in PLANEMAKER. It makes the aircraft easier to trim after takeoff. Technical description: The default x737 start trim (with the plugin removed) is 6.x which is too much, making the change brings it down to about 5.1 and believe the real 737 trim rule is to keep it near 5.

I have no problems with using the engine start switches and did not make any changes in this version, howver it IS necessary to make a change for X-Plane 11.
-----------------

X-Plane 11
Use PLANEMAKER to adjust the following items the save changes.

1) Lights - To make the exterior lights turn on and off with the FDS overhead switches, you must do the following, in PLANEMAKER/Exterior Lights, change all lights to "taxi" except the two strobes. You will see what I am talking about when you open PLANEMAKER. After you do this, all landing lights can be turned on and off using the "FIXED R" landing light switch. So far I have not been able to find a way to separate them, but is the next best. Also, the Beacon and position lights will work with the appropriate switches without any changes.

2) Center of Gravity-

3) Starter -

4) Engine Idle -

------------------
Rudder Issue with 1.8x:

From what I have read of other's posts, the rudder issue applies to all flight simulator's (X-Plane, FSX, P3D). Here is a description of what I have found, and my work-around for it (while not complete, I still have to fly with the Yaw Damper switch in the OFF position).

With the release of 1.80, the rudder pedals that I had connected to the Simulator PC stopped working (as soon as the aircraft rotated off the runway). Nothing resolved this issue (Sim-Avionics Settings, Yaw Damper Switch setting, etc.), so I connected the Rudder Pedals to the avionics PC and assigned them in Sys-Board Controller. Now the rudder does work, but I have to keep the Yaw Damper overhead switch set to Off (otherwise the Rudder make all sorts of uncommanded movements leading to an immediate loss of control).

------------------My System---------------------

Computers:

#1 PC / Custom Home Built with Titan Card / X-Plane 10 &11 / Hardware Connected: Yoke, Tiller

#2 PC / Custom Home Built with Multiple Video Cards / Sim-Avionics (Server, All MIP Displays Except Clocks) / Hardware Connected: All USB I/O cards, USB Relay Cards, Rudder Pedals, Throttle Quadrant

#3 PC / ELO 22” Touch Computer / Sim-Avionics (Captain’s Clock, Observer CDU, Dispatcher Console) / Hardware Connected: None

#4 PC / ELO Touch Computer / Sim-Avionics (First Officer’s Clock) / Hardware Connected: None

Networking: Trend-net Gigabit Switch (24 port)

Networking: Team-viewer 11 is used to control and configure all PCs from my laptop. This way, none of the computers have keyboards or mice connected. Note: I have a licensed version for work (it’s not cheap $1000 or so), but without this you will get a large pop-up window (over your instruments) which says “thank you for using the free version” and you will need a mouse to close it.

Networking: Apple iPad mounted to cockpit wall / Runs X-Plane control app “Control Pad” and allows for all flight settings (location, weather, time, etc.)
Hardware (Non-FDS specialty items listed first):

Real 737 Ipeco Seat with rails

Agronn Simulation 737 Yoke

CP Flight Pro EFIS (x2), CP Flight Pro MCP

8’ x 8’ x 1’ Staging Dimensions Platform (this is a concert type stage, but as that is my job, I used it for the simulator platform and it works great).

In-Line Blower 4” duct (this is connected to a relay and assigned to the Left A/C Pack - so when the pack is on, real air blows into the cockpit).

Shure 527B Microphone (used as the pedestal paging mic)

8’ of Commercial Drapery Fabric - Black (covers the back wall to make the cockpit feel more enclosed without buying the circuit breaker wall panel)

3 60” LG Flatscreen TV

1 Shure PSM-900 With Body pack Receiver (used so that I can wear my headphones wirelessly and not disturb others sleep when flying at night)

2 Buttkicker

2 Clark Synthesis Platinum Transducer

1 Crown CTS Amplifier (for Clark Synthesis)

1 Buttkicker Amplifier (for Buttkickers)

1 Apple Airport Extreme (creates the wireless network to connect the iPad for X-Plane CONTROL PAD app)

1 BSS BLU-160 with digital input cards

2 Optical to S/PIDF digital audio converters (connected to the PC's optical out and the BSS BLU-160 S/PIDF inputs at 96k).

1 BSS BLU-BOB (outputs)

1 Sony Mini-Disc Player (this has the theme song from Top Gun and Iron Eagle playing on an infinite loop and can be turned on with a switch on the cockpit audio panel)

1 BSS Contrio EC-4BV one gang wall panel - Black - Mounted in the back corner of the cockpit to adjust the volume/mute the audio.

2 Yamaha HS-8 powered speakers

1 Yamaha HS-8S Subwoofer

---FDS Hardware---
737 cockpit shell with plexiglass windows
737 Pedestal with all modules
737 MIP
737 Clock (x2)
737 Rear Overhead
737 CDU
737 Rudder Trim
737 Grab handles (above Captain and F/O)
Jetmax 737 TQ
Jetmax 737 Overhead
Relay Board
USB I/O board

Last edited by IANFXUSA on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm; edited 6 times in total
vaidorge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Interesting, which version of simavionic do you use?.
Yoke from ACE
P3D, XPlane
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Version Reply with quote

I'm always on the latest version that I can get, right now 1.85
asifillyas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: X-Plane 10 & 11 Set-up and Configuration Info From I Reply with quote

MY GOODNESS! Finally an Xplane/Sim-A post!! Thank you for this email -- I will dig into this and look into my setup. My setup is VERY similar to yours. ( except for the Top Gun soundtrack switch - which is a bloody brilliant idea, LOL! )

I am truly grateful for your posting of the information. Do you mind if I ask you some more questions once I attempt to make your suggestions come to light with my setup?
Cheers,

Asif Illyas
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: X-plane Reply with quote

No problem, glad you are using X-Plane too
ddoyle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

Does Sim avionics work with the default XP 11 737 ?

I am looking at switching to x-plane in the next few months.

Damian Doyle
Flight Sim Enthusiast and 737 STKQ owner.
Palmerston, NT Australia

FS PC; i5-4460 @ 3.2 Ghz, 8GB G.Skill RAM, GTX 680 4GB, 2TB HDD ( Adding 250 GB SSD)
P3D V3.4
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: X-Plane 737 Aircraft Model Reply with quote

It works to some degree, I've never fully tested it, but you should be using the free x737 aircraft (just remember to remove the plugin and see this forum for other important info on the aircraft model).
belisba

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, thank you so much for breaking new ground for us. As an avid and satisfied P3D Sim-A guy, I still follow with great interest the rise of X-plane and what that means over time. From a flight model point of view only, do you know if Mark and the Sim-A team builds into its Sim-A aircraft model some Tweaks that help with a more realistic aircraft handling experience? Do you notice a exception difference in aircraft handling between P3D and X-plane on Sim-A?

Thanks!
Brad-Texas
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: 737 Flight model & Sim-Avionics Reply with quote

The aircraft handling is excellent in X-plane. I've never used P3D, but I have used FSX and X-plane realism beats it hands down. You should try it.

The Sim-Avionics flight model download has nothing to do with X-Plane as far as I know. The EADT x737 aircraft (free) is the best out there for X-Plane and Sim-Avionics. I've tried a number of aircraft and spent a lot of time on it. As of yet, I have not found anything better. Most systems interface flawlessly (starters, MCP, CDU, etc.). There are some issues or limits, but they are listed in detail in my main post.
belisba

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian, I think I’ll give it a try over the next few weeks.
If for no other reason more than just advancing the hobby,
Xplane is gaining momentum for sure as a P3D alternative.

Brad-Texas
belisba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, I was wondering about your experience with the correlation between x-plane's weather and Simbrief. As you know, Simbrief provides winds to load in the CDU when using their downloaded flightplan. for P3D, ASN provides realtime weather or historic weather to the sim. So, my question is: What is your experience using x-plane with Simbrief, if you in fact use Simbrief? What, if any, external realtime weather engine are you using with x-plane? Thanks!

Brad - Texas
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

Did you delete the plugin folder and/or disable it in XP11?.

Thanks
Mike
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: X-Plane 11 Reply with quote

Hi,

Two replies here:

1) Yes, you must disable the EADT x737 plugin by removing it from the X-Plane plug-in folder (delete it, or move it to your desktop, etc.)

Note (just fyi): The main conflicts I've found between Sim-Avionics and the x737 plug-in are in the engine run/shutdown, fuel levels, and sometimes throttle. The bottom line is that for now the plug-in must be removed. On my system using X-Plane 10 & 11, I've been able to get 90% of things working, so I've been pretty happy with it. The only problems that I have not been able to solve (and which I would really like to have working) are things like Hydarulics control, i.e. when I shut off all the hydraulics the aircraft should not respond to controls or respond sluggishly like a manual reversion. This would be cool to have, but the only solution I see is to write a plug-in or modify Sim-Avionics so that those commands make it from X-Plane to Sim-Avionics and then the resulting actions make it back to the X-Plane flight modeling. If I knew how to code I would write it myself...

I have real blowers hooked up to feed the cockpit and Mark added a function to control a relay based on the Left Pack (so when the pack is on I get real air conditioning in my cockpit, and when the pack is off it is hot and stuffy)

2) I've never used Simbrief, so I can't anwser.
Michael_B767_ATP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm getting there myself with XP11. Can you tell me which of the three keyboard commands (FSX,XP10,XP11) you use in XP.

I would imagine FSX keyboard commands would make the switch to XP that much easier... no?

Thanks
Mike
IANFXUSA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Keyboard commands & iPad control - X-Plane 10/11 Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't use keyboard commands as I have a full cockpit. However, all keys can be custom mapped to almost any availble function in the X-Plane setup window. Personally I have an iPad that I use as my control panel / instcuctor operating station. X-Plane makes an EXCELLENT app with which to control either X-Plane 10 or 11. The app is "Control Pad". The way it works is you have a wireless access point connected to your simulator network, and then by simplly entering the IP address of the iPad in X-Plane' settings you get a full remote control. I keep it on the floor next to my seat, and just by reaching down to grab it I can have full control of my location / flight mode (3 mile final, 10 mile final, custom, ramp starts, etc.) / weather / failures / time of day. I don't even have to keep a mouse connected anymore. It's awesome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: