Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FSUIPC_IO.INI - Differences between different sections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drunkencelt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: FSUIPC_IO.INI - Differences between different sections Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone please explain the different sections in FSUIPC_IO.INI to help me decide which items to use over others?

Here's the issue I have had today which I have resolved but I would like to know how to avoid in future.

I have been happily beavering away connecting my overhead fuel pump annunciators by assigning offsets in Overhead lights section of FSUIPC_IO.INI. Everything works great and I understand how it all works as I have many gauges/annunciators/switches etc all connected and the overhead about half completed. Great guns so far! Smile

When testing my recent configurations all the overhead fuel pump annunciators (left Fwd/aft & right fwd/aft) except centre right & centre left. After some troubleshooting; making sure mobiflight could light them I realised Sim-A wasn't changing the offset even although the respective lights on the overhead GUI was operating on/off ok.

After a while I realised there are other items that appear to refer to the same annunciators under the System State Variable section of FSUIPC_IO.INI. i.e FUEL_PUMP_CENTRE_LEFT_LIGHT & FUEL_PUMP_CENTRE_RIGHT_LIGHT along with other fuel pump annunciator items. When I tried using these two items to set the center fuel pump annunciators they worked! Great.

I would, however, like to understand why the other annunciators work by using, for example, OH_FUEL_PUMP_LEFT_FWD under Overhead Lights section but OH_FUEL_PUMP_CENTRE_LEFT which is in the same section doesn't. I have to use a system state variable instead.

Which leads me onto another question. Where there appears to be two items referring to the same function/item, is it best to use the System State items over Overhead lights items?

I've struggled to find anything that explains the different sections in FSUIPC_IO.INI although Inputs and Outputs are pretty obvious. It's the apparent duplicated items I don't understand.

Thanks a lot.

FSX migrating to P3D
Sim Avionics 737 model
Arduino Mega 2560
Mobiflight Connect
FSUIPC
Pippo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lot of problems sorting out what the various sections are actually doing as well. In the end I just tried anything and everything until I got the result. I don't think that the Fsuipc offsets are as functional as the the FDS interface,it's been a struggle to get everything in my full cockpit working. Once you get it sorted though,it works very reliably. I've asked in the forum a few times about things like flaps and ACP offsets but I'm hoping that Mark Hastings will take a look at the documentation and functionality of the fsuipc offset interfacing and make things easier to sort out. Your experience with the fuel pump annunciators is exactly what I found. There are also a bunch of undocumented settings relating to rotary switches I found. There are some examples of a few of them but there are others where the 0,1,2,3,4 value of the assigned offset works OK. It's a bit of a maze but when you get it sorted it's good...
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just a quick question???
Are you guys using Sim Avionics/SysBoard_Interface?
Majority if not ALL switches and Led's can be assigned there and its a simple assignment process.
Also I have used some offsets for things like GroundPower and Air, TCAS Test and GPWS test buttons as I dont have panels, these items I connected via Leo Bodnar Card and offsets, I can confirm that these are working.

There is a long list of ALL OFFSETS in the Sim-Avionics Document, have you had a look at these?

Or are you guys talking about something else?
Maybe I just dont understand what you mean. (strongly possible)
Smile

Cheers
Michael
Pippo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's hit the nail on the head....The Sim-Avionics software seems to be geared towards using the interface cards and hardware from FDS using the sys board interface. However, if you are migrating from a cockpit which is interfaced using opencockpits or similar fsuipc offset based data connections the only use of the sys board interface might be to allocate some joystick buttons. In this scenario you have to rely on using fsuipc offsets for both inputs and outputs. It's the fsuipc interfacing that is very muddled and not easy to penetrate. Once you manage to determine exactly what entry in the FSUIPC -IO.INI file is actually the required one for what you want to do,it works usually. The problem is that there are sometimes multiple entries for apparently the same function which don't all work. There are also functions listed In the sys board interface for which I so far have found no fsuipc-io.ini equivalent, such as some of the weather radar controls, for these I had to resort to assigning joystick buttons on a Bodnar card connected to my weather radar panel. Don't get me wrong though...Once you get it sorted out it works extremely well but the fsuipc interface could be made simpler and more complete in my opinion.
Drunkencelt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's not just me who was finding this.....

MichaaelYSSY: No. I am using arduino cards which means I must configure via the FSUIPC_IO.INI file. I'm presuming it's this file you are referring to when you say '...There is a long list of ALL OFFSETS in the Sim-Avionics Document...'. In which case yes, I have seen it thanks.

Pippo: Interesting to hear about the WX radar offsets. I've not come across any key missing items yet but I've not got as far as you in the process yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Smile

FSX migrating to P3D
Sim Avionics 737 model
Arduino Mega 2560
Mobiflight Connect
FSUIPC
Pippo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather radar tilt and gain are available via offsets using joystick axes but I can't find anywhere in the FSUIPC IO. Ini file an offset for the weather radar mode Selections. They are listed in the sys board interface but nowhere else that I can find. Without access to the mode commands it renders the weather radar pretty useless.
In my opinion It shouldn't be so difficult to use the Fsuipc functions, really needs completing and making a bit more transparent.
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack
I meant in the Sim-Avionics User Manual
There is page after page of Multi Function Offsets
Not sure if they are any good to you but maybe try them out??

Cheers
Michael
Pippo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael, the long list of the multifunction offsets are an alternative not an addition to the fsuip_io. Ini file. They are only inputs and use a single data value written to a 2 byte offset which you can define in the fsuip_io. Ini file. I've not found any functions there which add to those in the fsuip_io. Ini file. The only advantage is that it saves on the number of offsets you have to define for inputs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: