Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Default 737 How To Change Taxi/Landing Lights (Resolved)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstei255

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Default 737 How To Change Taxi/Landing Lights (Resolved) Reply with quote

I started this post on the P3D Forum (https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=131384&p=188753#p188753).

Below are five images showing the succession of night falling at KMKE (P3D V4.3 default airport). The taxi/landing lights do not illuminate the runway/tarmac until well into dusk - which in my opinion is too late. The reverse happens at sunrise.

After posting in P3D and testing it turns out that it only happens w/ the default FSX 737. Taxi/landing lights from other P3d default aircraft work correctly (illuminate on the runway/tarmac when the runway lights turn on). I understand that P3D does not supply a default 737, but since we use the default FSX 737 for Sim-Avionics I thought I would post here to see if anyone had ideas on how to adjust.

Image 1 (7:26pm) - evening - no lights
Image 2 (7:51pm) - evening dusk - runway lights illuminated
Images 3/4 (8:07pm same time for both photos) - dusk - runway lights on. 737 lights are 'on' but not illuminating on runway.
Image 5 - (8:19pm) 737 lights now illuminate on runway.

In my opinion the landing lights would illuminate the runway starting around 7:51pm or when the runway lights are on - my question is there a way to adjust P3D or the config in the default 737 to allow this to happen.

Thank you.

Last edited by cstei255 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the same vein, just in case someone would know how to have the runway light up when visibility is super low even in daylight (ie:dense fog, heavy snow, etc)
cstei255

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackpilot wrote:
In the same vein, just in case someone would know how to have the runway light up when visibility is super low even in daylight (ie:dense fog, heavy snow, etc)

My understanding is that P3D turns on runway lights in IFR conditions - I tested w/ Active Sky manual settings and they will go on during the day w/ visibility set to 2.7 miles or lower (I think IFR is 1-3 miles). I played w/ the ceiling and couldn't get runway lights on below 1000.
kand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried playing with this in the cfb?

[GRAPHICS]
DAY_THRESHOLD=50000 //min 0, max 65535
NIGHT_THRESHOLD=4096

The higher the DAY_THRESHOLD value the earlier the lights come on,
cstei255

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kand wrote:

[GRAPHICS]
NIGHT_THRESHOLD=4096

Thanks - I have prior, but to be sure I tried again w/o any impact. From what I have read this does/did change when runway lights come on - not sure about illumination of taxi/landing lights as they seem to be independent of each other. But I've also seen more recent posts where this wasn't effective in P3D V4.X.

If you have found this to be effective what version of P3D are you running? Thanks again.
efpg0708

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kand wrote:

[GRAPHICS]
NIGHT_THRESHOLD=4096

Does this work in P3Dv4 ? I added it to my cfg file but id didn't change anything ...

I have started a topic in the P3D requests forum. IMO, this is the biggest issue in P3D: https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6317&t=131428
kand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, I use it to get the night lighting to come on earlier than the hardwired sim time
cstei255

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kand wrote:
Yes it does, I use it to get the night lighting to come on earlier than the hardwired sim time

I too have tried in P3d V4 w/o success.
kand

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very strange, am sure it works on my rig yet with 2 reports saying it doesnt this has me intrigued. Late here in UK so will play around tomorrow and check however I am pretty convinced it does work as I spent ages playing with shaders to get black marble looking good at dusk..... will report back
efpg0708

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kand wrote:
very strange, am sure it works on my rig yet with 2 reports saying it doesnt this has me intrigued. Late here in UK so will play around tomorrow and check however I am pretty convinced it does work as I spent ages playing with shaders to get black marble looking good at dusk..... will report back

Please let us know the results ! I've been trying to find a solution for this for a long time ...
cstei255

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kand wrote:

Two examples from P3D 4.3 at KMKE.

If I coded the config file correctly the first example per KAND should turn on the runway lights earlier which didn't happen (7:46pm vs. 7:47pm). So I wonder if there isn't another way to do it.

Also, this is getting off topic from my original question which was about landing/taxi lights not illumining the runway/tarmac, but maybe if we can resolve this issue it could help.

EDIT - I tested DAY_THRESHOLD=10000 //min 0, max 65535 in case the value needed to be smaller - there was no impact. Finally, I tested using different seasons - the lights do come on sooner (Fall vs. Summer), but IMO that is due to the change in Daylight Savings. During winter @ 7:46pm in Milwaukee it is dark vs. there is some daylight at the same time during the summer. That does tell me that there is some sort of code that P3D is using to adjust 'when' the lights come on by season.

efpg0708

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chuck

Ok ... it does work. However, I noticed that it only works for "add ons" lights. For example, at Flytampa EHAM, the building lights, taxilights and custom runway lights turn up earlier, but default taxi/runway lights set up with ADE don't. Can you guys confirm this ? For a second I was so happy haha !

Thanks

Eduardo
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note about landing lights
with SimA "Lights illuminate ground" in P3D should be unchecked
Much better no wash-out.
Jack
cstei255

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efpg0708 wrote:
Hi Chuck

Ok ... it does work. However, I noticed that it only works for "add ons" lights. For example, at Flytampa EHAM, the building lights, taxilights and custom runway lights turn up earlier, but default taxi/runway lights set up with ADE don't. Can you guys confirm this ? For a second I was so happy haha !

I previously posted the question on the Flightbeam support forum and received this answer:

Hello Chuck, for normal operations we have no control over when the lights turn off/on. This is controlled by P3Ds day night system variable.
For the post you linked, that is a separate issue for weather related runway/approach lights that remain on throughout the day for IFR ops.

Here' the link to the thread - https://www.flightbeam.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3108

I will test w/ a few other developers - sounds like you found success w/ Fly Tampa.
cstei255

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

efpg0708 wrote:
Hi Chuck

Ok ... it does work. However, I noticed that it only works for "add ons" lights. For example, at Flytampa EHAM, the building lights, taxi-lights and custom runway lights turn up earlier, but default taxi/runway lights set up with ADE don't. Can you guys confirm this ? For a second I was so happy haha !

I tested the following default and add-on vendors:

Default P3D V4.X Scenery - Editing Config Files = Does Not Work
FlyTampa - Edting Config File = Works
Flightbeam - Editing Config File = Does Not Work
FSDreamteam - Editing Config File = Works
T2Gate - Editing Config File = Works
ORBX - Editing Config File = Works
PacSim - Editing Config File = Works

In some/most cases when editing the config file works it also impacts when the taxi/landing lights illuminate the ground (which was my original issue).

Someone out there who knows more about how each vendor writes their code for P3D V4.X might see a pattern and therefore why it works or why it doesn't. I think I will take this post and summarize it and post it in the P3D forums - hopefully, there is a way for P3D to adjust code for the default airports. It's a shame that it doesn't work w/ Flightbeam as they have some of the better sceneries.

Thank you to everyone who helped here. Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: