P3D OPTIMIZATON - TILLER AND 4K PROJECTORS

This section of the Sim-A Forum is for support issues.
Only a few Clear Rules Here:
1. No Rants. Rants will be deleted and the poster contacted. All focus here is to assist in the spreading of information to better assist all Sim-A users. Most of the people helping are not paid employees.
2. Be Polite. We want all Sim-A users to experience the fantastic elements that make Sim-A what it is. Being able to communicate here will allow the info to be the focus.
3. Time. We do not have someone on the Forum 24/7 so please allow members to jump in to help when needed.
4. Most important. This is not a "Issue" forum. If you feel there is an issue then please email support@sim-Avionics.com and Mark will review that. This is a commercial product and erroneous reports do harm.

Moderators: Jetcos, MarkHastings

Mac737

P3D OPTIMIZATON - TILLER AND 4K PROJECTORS

Post by Mac737 »

Thank you to those who advised that a change in the aircraft.cfg file for adjusting the tiller angle from 55 deg. to 78 deg. as per the real aircraft.
This has made a huge difference and I feel this setup is much better.

In addition, upgrading from three FullHD projectors to three 4K projectors on a 220 degree screen is possible. I have done it.

My first concern (of course) was that the hit on the frame rates would be so terrible that it would be a waste of time and money................wrong! We have the system locked in at 30 fps in full 4K with smooth flight, no stutters, and with relativley high scenery settings (in fact as high as they were with my FullHD setup).

I'm guessing that the CPU's in the newest 4K projectors are sufficienty powerful enough (or better than the FullHD projectors) and avoid the dreaded video signal bottle neck between the P3D PC and projector. I would go as far as saying that the flight model is in fact smoother than it was with FULL HD, i.e. completely contrary to what one would have logically expected.

(PS I didn't change the PC specs between the FULLHD projector switch-over to 4K Projectors)
FDS 737-800 FULL DSTD, FDS 2x O/H, FDS PEDESTAL, LINKED RUDDERS, 737 SHELL
P3D v5.0 HotFix 1
SIM-AV v.1.964
FSUIPC v.6.08
FSC LINKED YOKES
CFY MOTORIZED TQ (GOLD) v.3
3x OPTOMA 4K PROJECTORS & NATVIS 220deg DISPLAY
IPECO 737 CAPT & FO SEATS

Banananav

Post by Banananav »

Can’t find anything about Tiller Angle in search, nor an obvious parameter in the aircraft.cfg file.
Can you point me in the right direction please.
Chris
Chris Finn

Jetmax 737-800 & TQ
MX MCP & EFIS
P3D 4.5 HotFix2
S-A 1.966
FSUIPC 5.155

kand

Post by kand »

You can change the steering angle of the nose gear in the contact points section

In the aircraft.cfg, scroll down to the [contact points] paragraph. You should see lines that look like :

point.0=1, 40.00, 0.00, -8.40, 1181.1, 0, 1.442, 60.0, 0.6, 2.5, 0.9, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 220.0, 250.0

but with different numbers for your aircraft

The red number is the value of the steer angle. In the above example, the plane can be steered up to 60 degrees left or right. Usually it is the first point line that is the nose (or steering) gear. If there is a 0.00 in the 8th field, it is not a steering gear.

Change the value to the representing number of your aircraft, the 777 has 70 degreees of nose steering available from memory

MichaelYSSY

Post by MichaelYSSY »

Chris

Just to be clear this setting is in P3D aircraft.cfg file and as Kand points out in red that is the nosewheel steer angle.

for 737 I use 78, I thing reading 737 docs that is about the angle.

Cheers
Michael
SSTD 737
Sim-Avionics v1.96
P3D 4.5/5.0 HF1
FSUIPC 6.0.8

Mac737

Post by Mac737 »

I have checked 737 specs and its definitely 78 degrees.......works beautifully.

Jim
FDS 737-800 FULL DSTD, FDS 2x O/H, FDS PEDESTAL, LINKED RUDDERS, 737 SHELL
P3D v5.0 HotFix 1
SIM-AV v.1.964
FSUIPC v.6.08
FSC LINKED YOKES
CFY MOTORIZED TQ (GOLD) v.3
3x OPTOMA 4K PROJECTORS & NATVIS 220deg DISPLAY
IPECO 737 CAPT & FO SEATS

Banananav

Post by Banananav »

Thanks guys
I’ll give it a go tomorrow.
Chris
Chris Finn

Jetmax 737-800 & TQ
MX MCP & EFIS
P3D 4.5 HotFix2
S-A 1.966
FSUIPC 5.155

kand

Post by kand »

The one thing you guys wont be able to change (unless you re-engineer sim1.dll) is the ridiculous sliding friction value within SIM1.DLL

M$ in their wisdom and all subsequent iterations have the sliding friction of concrete/asphalt set at 0.63...... what does this mean

Well, in all turns on runways/taxiways, the nose wheel will slide/skid irrespective of how much steering angle you set

I have my sim1.dll set to 1.0, no sliding

Banananav

Post by Banananav »

Thank you all for your inputs.
I see that SA1.96 changes the tiller angle to 78 deg - and with a straight slope in FSUIPC works very well.
Kand - how did you edit the sim1.dll please ?
Chris
Chris Finn

Jetmax 737-800 & TQ
MX MCP & EFIS
P3D 4.5 HotFix2
S-A 1.966
FSUIPC 5.155

MichaelYSSY

Post by MichaelYSSY »

I have found that if you make sharp turns at slow speed <10kts you get no skid or slip. If wet, even slower.
This translates to the recommended speeds for turns in real aircraft.

Works for me anyway

Cheers
Michael
SSTD 737
Sim-Avionics v1.96
P3D 4.5/5.0 HF1
FSUIPC 6.0.8

kand

Post by kand »

Its difficult to edit sim1 and you can really mess things up as it contains a lot of the sims hard coded values, it was never intended to be user defined. If anyone is interested PM me, I may write a how to post at FSdeveloper but every time a new release of p3d is made, all of the bytes offsets change also!

Michael, your right in that under 10kts the sliding is not really noticeable, but take off and xwind landings the skidding can become an issue, it has been a well documented problem from FSX.

Basically, Sim1 contains the surface and contamination coefficients for wet,snow,ice on rolling/braking/sliding, the default for wet is a 10% degradation . A lot of aircraft designers are now getting around the sim1 issues in P3d by using the PDK, even scenery designers are now altering braking values on the ground for their scenery via this tool. This wouldn't be an issue provided sim1 was correct to start off, unfortunately its way off on some things.

The good news is that Asobo (FS2020) seem to have answered one of my posts in that they say there are new ground physics (new rubber friction coefficient) and better environmental modelling correcting some long standing bugs.... fingers crossed