Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FSX and Flighdeck building

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: FSX and Flighdeck building Reply with quote

G'morning Guys
I do not want to sound redundant but I know that everybody will of course buy the new version, and be tempted/forced to buy new hardware, updated versions of add-ons, etc,
But seems to me that all these discussions/ press releases revolve around the VISUAL part of the sim...
Curiously, few of us think they can afford a decent projector, which is indispensable to immersion in the sim, but will spend the equivalent in updating their hardware to be able to see dolphins or birds.on desktop screens...
Hey Guys we are building FLIGHT simulators to replicate FLIGHT..NOT Home Cinemas.

If we did not have people like Enrico/ P Dawson and the likes, MSFS would still be what it is in essence...A Game!!, and all of You, Airbus guys, what would you fly?(Curious hey, never an Airbus in there)..Don't tell me that the geniuses at Microsoft could not do what Enrico has done, they could but would of course end up with a $x00 product that would not sell to the masses, so they please Granpa Jo ...

What I am tempted to say, especially after reading the latest posts, is that we have on hand right now a version of FS for which, as Fabio said it, we have only now enough horsepower ...everything has been finetuned, we have even overcome most of the "limitations" with PM Systems and Instructor Station, the visuals are way better than the pro sims, airports ADD-ONS are fantastic and do not affect too much the frame rates with TODAY's computers, we can use ADD-ONS flight models better than MS will ever offer....and we can concentrate on building a flightdeck with all the little lights and buttons.....plus, the new hardware will run FS4K as it was meant to be, with all sliders to the right, ..

So if getting birds, moving traffic and glitter means starting all over again with 15FPS, headhaches, frustrations and sliders to the left..plus money to invest in new hard/soft....sorry guys I'll stay with my FS4K and FLY MY FINISHED FLIGHTDECK all over the world instead of going back to quare 3 or 4...and push the completion of the sim beyond my life expectancy;
Microsoft is in the repeat business, and good at it.
I may be wrong, guys, but I HAD to say it..
Cheers
CJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before making any assumptions on the necessity of FSX I would wait to hear more from Microsoft on what they have installed in the software. At this point we do not know to much about it because they have not released much information.

I realize that the graphics will be improved, weather and clouds will be more realistic and there will be 5.1 surround sound but I would suspect that Microsoft will have a great deal more to offer in FSX than what they have selected at this time to release.

Be patient....it is a long way off...but the word is that FSX will be the most advanced, most realistic flight simulation program ever. I have heard that it will turn the sim community upside down... I am excited for the release and for $50 it will be one of the cheapest things I put in my sim....
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know for sure that I'm gonna buy it anyway!!!
You know what, surround sound yes!! but what about having different channels for ATC and Engines! Will they do it?....Clouds..I fly in real clouds..FS2K clouds are very very realistic, improving on that??
You are right..will see...but...I stick with my idea of finishing the sim and flying the darn thing...
Thanks for your kind words
pantoleon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents ...

I agree with JACK 100%....although I have a relatively not so complicated sim (generic cockpit...and still wandering if i ll go through to one SPECIFIC type...) It takes so much time and effort (not to mention money!!!) to get where we are today....and i dont personally believe that microsoft will go for any incredible eye-opener change...(like improving flight dynamics or the internal structure of the sim and so....) but they are giving indications they are focusing on the scenery and its enhacement options....etc

jack 's comment on weather (and the nonexistent radar?or the engine that cant possibly READ the weather in front or the plane...even if u have a radar...?) or sound is accurate...to all of us i think....

even though graphic cards and super processors reaching high to 3.6 Ghz cant provide BETTER quality image due to internal microsoft (win xp and fs9) architecture... i dont believe this will be fixed on the next version...I think it will get worse!!!
so again we ll end up with new software (vista) for the pc (and u know what THAT means...) new hardware (upgrades)....and eventually different language between the things that are ALREADY WORKING FINE (like PM or FSUIPC or whatever else they ll deliver...different...again...)

I switched to fs9 approx a year after its release...and was not happy...iI could have stayed with 2002....but was able to bye and maintain hardware and software to get what i want from fs9 and so now I am happy....how long is it since the release of fs9.?go figure...

I wil go with the same idea as jack...fly and fly and fly....and enjoy as much as I can what i already spend time effort and money to get it working....when I ll find time i ll get it more advanced and when the time reaches as many years back as fs9 was released maybe ...i ll consider changing to it....

so keep on building...and above all keep on flying !!!

Dimitris Pantoleon
Thessaloniki Greece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: