Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Push Me Pull Me Yokes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulWood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Push Me Pull Me Yokes Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with my experiment using push/pull rods to align yokes?

http://www.freewebs.com/pjs90/yokes.htm

So far, seems OK, but I think my lack of machining accuracy could prove a problem with friction once all is assembled.
I got the idea from the post using Bowden cables, but was worried about the force required to move everything.

Ideas please!!

Thanks, Paul

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
mauriceb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Push Me Pull Me Yokes Reply with quote

PaulWood wrote:
Can anyone help me with my experiment using push/pull rods to align yokes?

http://www.freewebs.com/pjs90/yokes.htm

So far, seems OK, but I think my lack of machining accuracy could prove a problem with friction once all is assembled.

Paul,
I'm just curious about why you think you may start having problems with your design. On first look, what you did looks very promising, so it would be good if you could post more detailed pics since I think it would be a bit hard for anyone to offer suggestions without more pictures to see more details about what you are doing. Just a suggestion Smile
Regards
Maurice
Stoney3K

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising Paul! I have a few concerns on that design concerning your yoke travel (if you turn the yokes the pushrods will eventually hit the center column or the outer column) but if you have about 45 degrees of play you'll be fine.

BTW: The real yokes don't auto-center when released in both directions (correct me if I'm wrong here) so a degree of damping should be more realistic than spring-loading. I think automotive dampers (the kind used to hold open your rear hatch) should provide more than enough resistance and give a bit of a "hydraulic" control feel.
I'm still not certain whether to use servos in the roll direction for our sim (for autopilot control) because I don't know if the sticks actually move when the A/P is engaged. Pitch direction will have servos built in for stick shaker and a certain amound of feedback support (gear touchdown jolt, etc.)
PaulWood

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellas,

Ive spent the aternoon updating the page (much easier in hotel than at home, as I still dont have a "proper" telephone line, so uploading photos viamy cellphone is expensive!

I need to assemble the yokes to the columns to see how it all works out.
On the bright side, I can always revert to cables using the same design, and if the pennies ran to it, hydraulics (!!=?)

See further info next week, once I have tried it all in place.

Thanks again for the help,
Paul

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
PaulWood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it took more than a week, but who is surprised?!!

I've put a few more pics on the site to show the finshed article - friction is not a problem, after adjusting a few joints - I wish I could do the same on a cold morning (showing my age!).

All that remains is to flight test, and the big question is how it will stand up to hours of use - but as Mr Austin used to say - "We have the technology..."?

I also spent the weekend modifying the CH pedals, but being a bit less "invasive".

Thanks for the kind advice,

EMB 145 project
www.erj145sim.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: