Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Things you should know about PhidgetsUSA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Things you should know about PhidgetsUSA Reply with quote

For anyone reading this now, there has been a satisfactory resolution of my conflict with PhidgetsUSA. So if you read this, make sure you read the later posts I made on this topic further down.
Maurice

I asked a couple of questions in the PhidgetsUSA Flight Sim forum. I did not get an answer as quickly as I had hoped or even really expected, so I asked the same questions to Phidgets support. I was told that they know nothing about flight simulation & flight deck building and that their flight simulation division is supported entirely by their customers and other interested parties. Apparently, they will not support the Phidgets software for flight sim application which is available for free download on their website. Fair enough, but when I expressed surprise about that and when I asked what other recourse I had if nobody answered my questions in the forums, I was accused of having written an 'angry' e-mail and that this really showed my 'character'.

Below was my exact reply to them:
This is a bit strange. You have a link to a Simulators division in your main web page, you publish the FS2Phidget software which targets cockpit builders and you are telling me no one can answer questions about this software? Can you then tell me what this quote from your website actually means: "We now have our custom built software which makes the Phidgets plug and play. Our software is called FS2Phidget and it's been written by Coconut Airlines specifically for home cockpit builders."
If no one answers questions in the forum, are you saying that I am out of luck regarding getting support for your products? Do you have a direct e-mail address or contact for "Coconut Airlines", whoever they are?
Thanks,
Maurice

(The bold parts are bold on their website as well. And I'm not sure what the words "Our software) really mean. Apparently "Our software" means someone else's software)

Was that an 'angry' e-mail? I certainly don't think so. I did not use obscenities, nor did I capitalize my letters as if shouting. I was simply expressing implied surprise that their website does not make it clear that the only source of support for their 'custom built software' would come from the forums. Was I a bit 'pushy'? Maybe, but why shouldn't I be? I have spent about $300.00 so far on their products with more to come not realizing that I could be left out in the cold if I had problems. This hardly qualifies as anger in my books.

For that unspeakable arrogance & 'anger', I was told by their support person "By writing an angry email to us, it really shows your character". What they failed to mention is that by insulting a customer when that customer asks a question, it really shows their complete ignorance about Customer Service 101. Even it it was an 'angry' e-mail, as they claim, you don't insult your customers and attack their character simply because they expressed some mild dissatisfaction with your products or support.

Up to yesterday, I was delighted with their sales customer service. I guess as long as you are buying something, they are very nice to you. I for one will never again have any dealings with PhidgetsUSA. They certainly are not the only alternative for flight deck products and there are plenty of other companies that will bend over backwards to help their customers, FDS being a prime example of that.

Oh yes, I was also given a lesson in 'Netiquette' by their support person: "FYI, I asked every employee here, including the president and they all agreed that your email was indeed an angry email. You may have very well just been confused when you were writing it, but you were definately upset, and it really showed in your email. If you seriously do not believe this to be true, then may I suggest a lesson in "netiquette." It's a widely supported way of communicating on the Internet. There are many websites solely dedicated to this."

So beware! Thou shalt never question anything a company ever does lest you be accused of horrendous behaviour for having the audacity to express surprise and/or dissatisfaction with any aspect of their business.

But I'm not bitter Smile Oh, the ironic thing is that I really like their hardware products.

Maurice

Last edited by mauriceb on Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
MattB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Their CSA comes off as quite condescending.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really surprising and disappointing to read. Sad
maytham

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam really surprised for this...

I like thier products, and Iam probably well buy from theme

Maytham
A340
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They appeared to have had second thoughts about all this. Here is their last e-mail to me:
Dear Maurice,

After reviewing our email conversation yesterday, I have to say that I may have misunderstood some of your original email, made some assumptions that I shouldn't have, and may have also taken some of your email a little too personally. For that, and the way that I responded, I sincerely apologize.
Sincerely,

And here is my reply to them:

Thank you for your apology. I certainly accept it as I really thought this was a useless feud about a trivial matter. I will re-state that I wasn't angry at you or at PhidgetsUSA for that matter either. I was just looking to get help any way I could & I regret that my intent wasn't clearer in my first reply to you.

So, consider this matter closed and I will continue using your products if & when I need them. I have been very happy with your hardware and I have mentioned my satisfaction with your hardware & the free software you provide in many posts in other forums. It really would have been a shame to erase all that just because of a simple verbal misunderstanding.

Sincerely,
Maurice
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice
Phidget is A CANADIAN company , head office in Calgary!!!!!
Did U know? Wink
mauriceb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackpilot wrote:
Maurice
Did U know? Wink

Yes I did. Unfortunately, they do not have a flight sim division and they do not sell some of the stuff I needed, like the 'beefy' servos for instance. I did order other parts from Calgary whenever they had what I needed.
Thanks for the heads-up though Smile

Maurice
skydvdan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackpilot wrote:
Maurice
Did U know? Wink

Why are you telling him that? Are you suggesting a roadtrip for revenge? Laughing LOL.
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why are you telling him that? Are you suggesting a roadtrip for revenge? LOL.

Because Phidgets USA is a distributor for the canadian company and we can get boards direct (for us Canadians Wink )
Besides ...yes....a copy of the whole episode could be sent to the HO, why not, ....customers do not have to cope with the personal bias of a paranoid CS clerk, I am even amazed that the president of Phidgets US is consulted on the "tone" of an Email, what about the subsequent apologies..the president was wrong too??? insane.
Maurice ....give them S... Mr. Green

OK steam is released.....lets go back tofiguring out that *x@!#!! offset!!
Brick wall
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: