Digital or Analog

A forum for open discussions. Feel free to discuss any and all elements of Flightdeck Building. NB: This section is for individual builders to openly discuss issues that may or may not pertain to FDS. Organizations/Political Groups or Commercial Entities Will require approval prior to posting. Prior Approval From FDS required prior to posting items for sale. No Exceptions.

Moderators: Curtis, Jetcos

RocketRod

Digital or Analog

Post by RocketRod »

Could someone please tell me what the difference is of digital or analog? Some I/O cards state that the are capable of digital and analog inputs. I am not totally sure, but are LEDS digital, and switches digital, and then what would analog be? Or point me to a good web discussion. I did a search here and did not find anything definitave. Thanks in advance.
Rodney

737NG Pit Builder
Some Assembly Required

jackpilot
Site Admin

Post by jackpilot »

As far as I get it, digital is a switch (input) or a LED (output), analog is a variable input..ie throttle, brakes etc or a variable output like a servo.
Probably you will get more sophisticated answers...
Cheers
Jack
Full B737-800 DSTD/Sim-Avionics P3d4
ALL FDS & OEMs (+custom TQ)

RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

That's what I am finding out too. Hit most of the I/O board sites, and I guess they expect everyone to be born with an electrical degree. I did see that what you said is right in line with what I found. If it's varible, then its analog. So my best guess is; Toggles, momentary, micro switches and 45 degree are digital, pots & servos are analog. Hope I'm at least a little correct. I'm not sure how they would relate to voltage, watts or amps though. I'm a wrench, not a spark chaser. Thanks Jack!
Rodney

737NG Pit Builder
Some Assembly Required

mauriceb

Post by mauriceb »

Jack & Rodney got it right, but here is a slightly more technical explanation. I've posted a link to this site before, but you may want to look at this particular page on the site:
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/analogue.htm

Regards,
Maurice

RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Thanks Maurice! I've got it bookmarked. Answers alot of my questions.
Rodney

737NG Pit Builder
Some Assembly Required