Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A different approach to visuals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomlin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: A different approach to visuals Reply with quote

I have been doing some research lately on visual systems and although I have several ideas I'd like to pitch to all for their opinions on, here's a link to a great project that has an interesting approach to what APPEARS to be an excellent visual system.

http://www.xsn.net/project727/

Scroll down and have a look at how this builder has used sheets for screen material that basically wraps around the fuselage. To me, this is excellent in regards to how it elliminates the distance between the windscreen and the actual display screen. No, it's not a collimated display, but if you have to have a flat projected visual, this is a neat way to go. To me the pictures look fantabulous. I would love to see it in person. As far as I can see, this would work with a single, tripple, or 5 point of view visual system by adjusting the position of the projectors, not the 'screen' material.

Thoughts?

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
RocketRod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,
I saw this some time ago, and had forgotten about it until this post. I am currently using a forward view, on a 4'X5' Projector screen. But, what I see here is a possibility of a curve or angle for the windows with hopefully no distortion. Looking at that picture, the projector is some distance away, which I don't have. Hmm..maybe she will let me knock out a wall? Boy, the entire sim is a work of art, and even the passenger views. I'll bet it even has Stef's Beer Bell incorporated.

737NG Pit Builder
Some Assembly Required
pantoleon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a question..maybe idea:

if u dont have space between the sheet and projector...maybe...and i dont know if its possible..maybe...u could use tim's curve mirror idea....oposite ...!!!! so u project over the sim....and the mirror reflects to the sheet!!
what do u think ?any comments if its possible(needs dark room..completely i know...but if the sheet wraps arround the shell and u get a very little curve..just a bit..u might as well accomplish right!????

dimitris pantoleon

trying to design my next sim..current state
http://users.otenet.gr/~crazydoc/ver4_2004_present.JPG
Tomlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimitris! I had the same idea earlier today at work. I too was wondering about that, seeing as the mirror solves the limited-space problem.

Waycross, Ga (KAYS)
www.Hangar45.net
pantoleon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...if two are thinking the same...maybe the idea is not completely crazy!! maybe u dont even need acrylic mirror..just plain mirror...and the rest is done by the sheet that is wrapped arround!!!

someone with possibility should try this!!! i am still out researching the market to buy my projector...and then i have to start constructing the frame shell so am a long way of tests!!!!

http://users.otenet.gr/~crazydoc/ver4_2004_present.JPG
warvet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
First off thank you for once again appreciating my mirror design Embarassed , I think my curved mirror will solve your distance issue for sure no question. You dont need to curve much or at all but it certainly will work. The bedsheet idea works great Ihave done it, but it certainly cannot touch the clarity of 2 42" LCD monitors with a fresnel lens in front of each. You can also set a few mirrors at different angles to get a larger image without distortion and the last mirror lightly curve it. After that adjust the keystone on your projector appropriately. This 727 project sure is sweet though, very nice work. Smile By the way I am not responsible for what you see in the mirror when you look at it LOL Very Happy Very Happy jjking

Tim
A340
Canada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: