Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEVEL-D?? what is that???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cpt.Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: LEVEL-D?? what is that??? Reply with quote

hi everyone..
why is level-d simulator so cool?? i dont understand... if i build a 100% sense of realism, simulator the onlly things i would lack is the pneumatics suspensions...right???? i dont get it...where can i get a level-d simulator??? is it expensive?? what programs do this LEVEL-D simulator use??? is it FS? do they use PM? and tell me does my CDU really the same as in real life????

thanx everyone and soon very soon...i will post some pictures of my 737NG i am starting to build...thanx for all!!!
dc8flightdeck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level D is a top of the line airline simulator with full motion and all the goodies. It is certified for logging actual specific aircraft type training time. For a home builder this is the hardest sim to build and frankly is impossible for 99.9% of us to do.

Im sure some of the others on this list can give you a better breakdown of the different levels of sims.

justin
mauriceb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dc8flightdeck wrote:
frankly is impossible for 99.9% of us to do.

justin

I'd really LOVE to have a friend who is part of the .1% left Wink . Besides being very rich, he would also have to be one hell of a crafsman to build such a sim in a home workshop Smile

Maurice
Drthndr911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Level D Simulator Reply with quote

The FAA has very strict guidelines as to how they classify simulators. Far too many to list here.
Level D is the most realistic. Exactly like the real aircraft, down to every knob, switch and control response. We would all love to be able to have this level of realism but most of us don't have pocketbooks that deep. Level D sims can run into the millions.
If you really want to see the different criteria that the FAA uses you can go to their website and read document AFS-205. This is the FAA's national simulator program qualification guidlines. WWW.FAA.Gov/safety/programs

Best of luck.

"Just take the 'Bus'"

Jim Sprague
Senior Capt. Airbus A320
MeganAir
Cpt.Nelson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the closest of a LEVEL-D simulator i can get by building my own 737NG??? take away those suspensions and awsome graphics. ill be using instead WOOD and FLIGHT SIMULATOR to run the sim.
Drthndr911

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Level D sim Reply with quote

The level of realism is entirely up to you and the time and money you are willing to spend.
Take a look at some of the sims that guys on this site have posted pics of. Amazing work!!
The sky is the limit. MS Flight simulator, Project Magenta software, FDS panels, all these things can make for a great sim relatively inexpensively.
But like I said, you can get as realistic as your time and budget will allow.
This website is a great place to start.

"Just take the 'Bus'"

Jim Sprague
Senior Capt. Airbus A320
MeganAir
dc8flightdeck

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you reall want to go all out then I suggest you look at Mikes website at

http://www.mikesflightdeck.com

Also buy his book.

Good luck

Justin
pdpo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level-D ,
as put in the post before, the most realistic, full motion simulator.

But it depends where you heard, read this word because it is referred to
by many FS flyers as the most realistic B767 desktop software addon for
MSFS. The company producing this FS addon is also called Level-D.
They have made a nice software package for the B767 which includes an SDK and a guy called Niko Kaan build a bridging software.
Level-D comapany is for B767 what is PSS for airbus 319/320/321/330/340.

Greetz Peter Depoortere
Wilhelm Esser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: LEVEL-D?? what is that??? Reply with quote

Cpt.Nelson wrote:
hi everyone..
why is level-d simulator so cool?? i dont understand... if i build a 100% sense of realism, simulator the onlly things i would lack is the pneumatics suspensions...right???? i dont get it...where can i get a level-d simulator??? is it expensive?? what programs do this LEVEL-D simulator use??? is it FS? do they use PM? and tell me does my CDU really the same as in real life????

thanx everyone and soon very soon...i will post some pictures of my 737NG i am starting to build...thanx for all!!!

Hi
i'm looking since more then three years to find a level D Sim (737-NG) and i like to let you know if you (like me) are not willing or be able to spend 20 to 25 Million Dollars then forgot the whole thing.
Level-D Sim must be built with parts from original from Aircraft manufactor. Software must be the same then is it running in the original aircraft, so PM ist impossible plus many many more rules!

As a low cost solution there is a company in australia how can build the cockpit section original for about 1.2 mio $. The Software would cost about .8 Mio $. Another 2.5 Mio for hydraulic motion plus 2 to 3 Mio $ for the graphic. But this sim could not be certified as Level D!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: