Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

777 Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: 777 Project Reply with quote

Yet another post by me but I'm wondering whether to go with the SSTD or get the hardware kits and panels?

Lewis
787 Builder
737NG-Ed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis,

The choice on how to proceed is yours to make. There are many in the forum who have gone down the route of buying a SSTD. I personally have chosen to buy panels/kits and build them. I suppost it boils down to how much it costs and how quickly you want to 'fly'. If you have the money and can afford to lay it out in one go and don't want to do too much building then go for the SSTD. If you need to spread the cost out, like building and don't mind waiting a while to start flying it then go for the panel/kits. My own views.

Whatever you choose, happy flying when you get there and don't forget to post some pics of your progress. Very Happy

Gear Down - Three Greens
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Well Said Reply with quote

Perfect Advice from a Builder that has been steadily bringing it all together. Thanks Ed.
Well put.
PC
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.

Lewis
787 Builder
vidarf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with what 737NG-Ed posted! The key element is: How quickly do you want to get airborne?

I have just "gone serious" by purchasing Project Magenta and a SYS1 card. During this year, I will buy the overhead panels and make a temporarily MIP (I can't afford to spend too much money at once). This way, I will be able to fly while I build. Which I think is a key element in keeping the interest up.

Just remember to set your own goals, and think everything through AT LEAST two times! And last - but definitely not least - learn from other builder's mistakes! Smile

Good luck!
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. i have some planning to do... and have started. I came up with a rought estimate for the final cost which came to US$6000. Does that sound right?

Lewis
787 Builder
warvet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prob closer to 10k Lewis,
just my opinion tho. factor in cost of wire, tools, wood, material , LCDs, computers, video cards, extra ram, projectors etc etc etc. Trust me it'll add up faster than you think. Ive been doing this for 7 years and I guarantee you, your $6,000 is just a good starting point. Good Luck

Tim
A340
Canada
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know its a SSTD? Also are you part of Virtual Air Canada?

Lewis
787 Builder
Tex145

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Money Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,

You do realize you still need monitors, software, control systems, rudder and throttles? That is not to mention the pedestal and the eventual overhead.

For an example - I have been quoted for the following simulated HIGH fidelity ERJ/EMB controls:
Control wheel - 2000 to 3000
Column - 1500
Rudder pedals - 1500
Throttle (non motorized, just mechanics) 1000
Flaps/spoiler - 500 each
You may get away spending $1000 for the set but it won't last very long unless you build t yourself.

Then you need to build a base to mount the mount the controls to.
I have budgeted 10,000 for control systems for a dual seat trainer.

And then there are the seats - I inquired about authentic Regional seats - sit down.... $26,000 each. I am budgeting $4000 to have 2 seats made. Heated and leather. You will be able to find used airliner seats between 500 and 1500 depending on luck and your searching ability.

Jon
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I can say though that I have done hours of searching and actually discovered some builders which sell their products quite cheap. I found a 777 throttle cheap and also instead of buying the whole pedestal a 6 in 1 atc box. That has cut down the cost compared to purchasing the whole pedestal. The only thing I may have underestimated is the software. Otherwise I have everything on a spreadsheet with the prices shown on the internet... exactly. So I can't be too far off.

Lewis
787 Builder
warvet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewis,
Yes to the VAC sir for many many years and also am Canadian director for WF. As far as the cost thing goes sounds like you did your homework so Im sure you got the pricing that works for you and are doing better than me and alot of other builders did by the sounds of it. Very Happy

Tim
A340
Canada
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It helps to live in New Zealand! So are you with Andrew Ellsworth's VAC? DO you know what software bar project magenta that I would need for the 777 simulator? I will post soon a description of my first picture of how my simulator will look. I might build a surrounding arround it to give it a more enclosed feeling.

Lewis
787 Builder
warvet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to see how it turns out Lewis good luck. Will you be using a full OVH, CDUs etc?

Tim
A340
Canada
Lewis Simmons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided that, for me, I didn't need to get a full pedestal nor a full overhead. I am getting a CDU. Below is my near final list of what I'm getting. Please tell me if I'm missing somethig Very Happy

Item- US Price- NZ Price

777 SSTD- $2,399.00- $3,440.41
    777 CDU- $600.00- $860.46
    Landing Gear Mech.- $249.95- $358.45
    FDS-MFP- $299.00- $428.80
    Yoke - Builder- $328.40- $470.96
    ATC Box- $149.95- $215.04
    Rudder Pedals- $110.00- $157.75
    15 inch Monitor- $206.40- $296.00
    22 inch Monitor- $487.41- $699.00
    C521 + 20" Monitor $906.49- $1,300.00
    6 inch LCD Monitor- $232.00- $332.71
    Software- $500.00- $717.05
    Throttle Quadrant- $645.00- $924.99

Total- $7,113.61- $10,201.62

a couple of things to note. 6 inch LCD price is not final. C521 is a desktop computer. The yoke is being purchased froma builder who built it himself. ATC Box is a 6 in 1 radio box. The throttle quadrant is from VRAC Flight Controls. Rudder pedals are just the normal basic usb ones but will be hidden so won't effect the final look too much. Software I'm not quite sure what to get so so far that is an estimate. Thats it so far. Note: The US Prices are in red to make it easier to read, its doesnt mean anything. Very Happy

Lewis
787 Builder
Tex145

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Computers Reply with quote

Hi Lewis,

You do realize that you will need at least 2 computers. One server for your MSFS and visuals and a client to run PM (which by the way is a lot more than 500.00 more like USD 1000.00 plus Pete Dowsons stuff for another 50 or so.
You client should be SLI (running non SLI mode) running at least 2 x 128M cards each with 2 vga outs - gives you 4 monitors. On my desk top I am running a single 512m video card 3gig of ram and a high end mother board and it can't keep up with the scenery. Don't cheap out with the computers or you will be disappointed.

Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: