Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Monitor(s) Should I Buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbloor99

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Which Monitor(s) Should I Buy Reply with quote

Looking for some advice.

I have my 777 on order from Jetmax and want to start the rest of the cockpit programme. I need advice about monitors. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I am not going for a projector solution basically because of the room configuration where I live.

So on the basis I will buy 3 monitors for my home cockpit, I have 2 questions;

1) What size monitor should I buy? As stated, thinking of having 3 monitors in a conventional configuration. I'm thinking 27 inch but again if someone can convince me that smaller or bigger is better am prepared to listen

2) I have been a long term user of FSX but with Jetmax am thinking it's now time to migrate to Prepar3d. With that in mind what quality of monitor should I buy ? I can get a decent HD monitor from a reputable supplier pretty cheaply these days. But I can spend 4 times that for an ultra HD monitor with better refresh rates. Realistically, will I see any difference and I'm thinking it's a waste of money to go for something at that higher end. Again, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I'm new here so go easy on me ...........

Thanks in advance for any replies
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

My 2cents worth.

Size - get as big as you can, I have seen guys using 2 X 55" screens on JetMax setups and they look great.

HD/UHD? well that could depend on your budget and your PC video hardware/ software support.

Good luck, keep us posted on your decision.

PS good video card is a must, meet that in mind.

Cheers
Michael.
glex9078

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get one 65" Curved 4K OLED!!!!! Plus maybe a couple GTX980's to drive it. Perfect for the JetMax!

John
dbloor99

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - one 65" OLED would be gorgeous - when they come down a bit in price ....

I'm going to use my existing PC - bought 4 years ago - to drive the avionics, and buy a new box of tricks to drive the scenery display.

My local PC shop tells me that NVidia are about to release their latest and greatest ( NVidia Pascal) so I'm hanging back a bit to see if and when that's available. Also, there's always the possibility of Intel selling ever better CPUs. So for the sake of this conversation, assume I'm not constrained by hardware capability.

Therefore the question for me comes down to should I spend more money and buy the Ultra 4HD monitors or should I stick to a normal HD monitor. Will I see the difference using Prepar3d with the better monitors? I think the answer is yes but would be grateful if someone could confirm. Then once that's confirmed and it's a size question, well the budget will answer that debate.

Thanks again - David
OmniAtlas

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Which Monitor(s) Should I Buy Reply with quote

Have you considered an ultra short throw projector? I am using the LG pf1000u and it's great - 100" at 38 cm.
dbloor99

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but I will
W9XE/Project777

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Monitor(s) Should I Buy Reply with quote

I plan on getting the JetMax 777 for my sim. My sim room has been limited do to other hobbies so instead of a projector I am going with 2 LG 34" Class Curved 21:9 UltraWideŽ IPS LED Monitors. I like it does HDMI and Display Port.

http://www.lg.com/us/ultrawide-monitors

You can find several different price ranges or refurbished. There is other curved models LG makes that also might work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: