Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
The place to meet and talk with fellow builders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uncoordinated flight (Resolved)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nav3pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight (Resolved) Reply with quote

There have been some related posts on this subject, but I couldn't find anything exactly the same. I noticed recently that the "ball" in the slip/skid indicator on the PFD was almost always displaced to one side, both with and without the autopilot engaged. Appropriate rudder pressure brings the ball back into the center, but I shouldn't have to do that in cruise flight. I don't remember seeing this in the past. It seems that with the autopilot engaged the rudder position and/or rudder trim should be moved to a position to bring the aircraft back into coordinated flight without any pilot input.

I recalibrated the rudder but it didn't help. I'm using my old PFC Jetliner yoke and rudder pedals, so the interface is through a serial port and calibration is done through the PFC software. I finally wired up a switch to allow me to control rudder trim through Sim-A and I am able to bring the ball back to the middle when I apply rudder trim.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Bill
JetMax 737, FDS overhead, P3Dv4.2.21, Sim-A 1.91.
thomas747400

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I have the same problem with the B777, never in cruise but mainly during the departure portion of flight. I think this problem originated in v1.90, maybe in 1.85. I have not been able to find a fix Sad

Thomas
787 George

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

Same problem here. Photos available if needed.

George
MarkHastings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and George, you are saying that you have PFC yokes and pedals.
Could this be the difference ??

To get a better flight control simulation I need to be able to read the applied control input and adjust the output accordingly.
The control input is sometimes completely blocked, and sometimes mapped directly through to a specific system...

ie, For CWS on the 737 and the Fly by wire on the 777, the Server need to receive the required control input and send the appropriate movement to the A/C control surfaces.
The Brake inputs are also received and the appropriate amount of braking applied based on HYD pressure etc.
The Rudder input is received and overlayed onto the Yaw Damper/TAC system.

So to receive the control input prior to sending to the control surfaces we need the axis to be mapped in FSUIPC.
This allows for the control input to be read and blocked from being sent directly to the aircraft.
(This is why P3D standard Controllers MUST be disabled)

I don't know how the PFC controls are mapped Think

Are the just a standard joystick axis that is mapped in FSUIPC or do they have their own driver software that writes directly to the sim ?

If they use their own driver - do you have an old entry in your FSUIPC5.ini for rudder that is not required..?
    [Axes]
    RangeRepeatRate=10
    PollInterval=10
    0=AX,256,D,3,36,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Rudder}-

Please can you provide some info as to how you have setup and assigned your rudder pedals.

Thanks

ps. In addition I have just posted v1.93. Please can you also try that version incase it's something that has previously been corrected.
Nav3pilot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PFC yoke and rudder pedals interface with P3D via a COM port using a PFC driver. PFC.dll is on the Peter Dowson page. There is no rudder entry in the FSUIPC5.ini [Axes] section; only the spoilers, flaps, throttle 1 & 2, and tiller have entries. The rudder pedals are recognized under the FSUIPC axis tab and the "Send to FS as normal axis" action is selected.
Jetcos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nav3pilot wrote:
The rudder pedals are recognized under the FSUIPC axis tab and the "Send to FS as normal axis" action is selected.

The FSUIPC setting should be "Direct To FSUIPC" (The top selection of the 3)
787 George

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

My PFC Yoke & Rudders are connected via USB.
I don't see any PFC drivers running and my Yoke & Rudders are both set to "Send Direct to FSUIPC for Calibration"

My entries in FSUIPC for the Axes are below:
[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=0R,256,D,23,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Flaps }-
1=0U,256,D,5,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: PropPitch }-
2=0V,256,D,10,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Throttle2 }-
3=0S,256,D,9,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Throttle1 }-
4=1X,256,D,3,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Rudder }-
5=2X,256,D,1,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Aileron }-
6=2Y,256,D,2,0,0,0 -{ DIRECT: Elevator }-

George
Nav3pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some more investigating. I disabled the rudder axis in the PFC app and tried setting up the rudder with FUSIPC. To my surprise it worked, so I did a short flight. Unfortunately, there was no change to the uncoordinated flight issue. I didn't think changing the rudder interface would solve the problem because my yoke uses the same PFC interface the rudder was using and there have been no issues with elevator trim, but it was worth a try.

I noticed that when the autopilot is engaged the elevator trim is constantly being adjusted but the rudder and elevator trim values remain at zero, so it appears that the autopilot is not attempting to keep the airplane in trim in those axes.

I also updated to Sim-A 1.93 with no change in the original uncoordinated flight issue, but a couple of new things cropped up that I will have to address after I get this issue resolved. It's a little difficult to sort out the cause because Windows treated me to automatic updates to both my P3D and avionics computers in the middle of this process. It's really annoying to have this happen when I am troubleshooting and trying to only change one thing at a time.

Bill
jackpilot
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may either block updating or get off the net when you do your tweaks on your PCs
Nav3pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update. I found that for some reason the recall values for autopilot and flap settings were not being saved after I installed v1.93. I was getting a takeoff configuration warning horn even though everything looked OK, including the flaps gauge indicating flaps 5. I checked in the server and it showed flaps were up. After several attempts to recall and save all the values I think it finally took. I did a 3 hour flight today and the autopilot kept the ball centered the whole way. I will do another couple of flights before I declare this is solved, but right now it appears that going to v1.93 may have corrected the original issue.

Bill
Nav3pilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Uncoordinated flight - Resolved Reply with quote

I just finished another 4 hour flight and the autopilot kept the ball centered the whole time, so it looks like whatever was causing the original problem has been resolved.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: