Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P3D OPTIMIZATON - TILLER AND 4K PROJECTORS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mac737

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: P3D OPTIMIZATON - TILLER AND 4K PROJECTORS Reply with quote

Thank you to those who advised that a change in the aircraft.cfg file for adjusting the tiller angle from 55 deg. to 78 deg. as per the real aircraft.
This has made a huge difference and I feel this setup is much better.

In addition, upgrading from three FullHD projectors to three 4K projectors on a 220 degree screen is possible. I have done it.

My first concern (of course) was that the hit on the frame rates would be so terrible that it would be a waste of time and money................wrong! We have the system locked in at 30 fps in full 4K with smooth flight, no stutters, and with relativley high scenery settings (in fact as high as they were with my FullHD setup).

I'm guessing that the CPU's in the newest 4K projectors are sufficienty powerful enough (or better than the FullHD projectors) and avoid the dreaded video signal bottle neck between the P3D PC and projector. I would go as far as saying that the flight model is in fact smoother than it was with FULL HD, i.e. completely contrary to what one would have logically expected.

(PS I didn't change the PC specs between the FULLHD projector switch-over to 4K Projectors)
FSUIPC v.5.152
FSC LINKED YOKES
CFY MOTORIZED TQ (GOLD) v.3
3x OPTOMA 4K PROJECTORS & NATVIS 220deg DISPLAY
IPECO 737 CAPT & FO SEATS
Banananav

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can’t find anything about Tiller Angle in search, nor an obvious parameter in the aircraft.cfg file.
Can you point me in the right direction please.
Chris

Jetmax 737-800 & TQ
P3D 4.5 HotFix2
S-A 1.961
FSUIPC 5.152
kand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change the steering angle of the nose gear in the contact points section

In the aircraft.cfg, scroll down to the [contact points] paragraph. You should see lines that look like :

point.0=1, 40.00, 0.00, -8.40, 1181.1, 0, 1.442, 60.0, 0.6, 2.5, 0.9, 4.0, 4.0, 0, 220.0, 250.0

but with different numbers for your aircraft

The red number is the value of the steer angle. In the above example, the plane can be steered up to 60 degrees left or right. Usually it is the first point line that is the nose (or steering) gear. If there is a 0.00 in the 8th field, it is not a steering gear.

Change the value to the representing number of your aircraft, the 777 has 70 degreees of nose steering available from memory
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris

Just to be clear this setting is in P3D aircraft.cfg file and as Kand points out in red that is the nosewheel steer angle.

for 737 I use 78, I thing reading 737 docs that is about the angle.

Cheers
Michael
Mac737

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked 737 specs and its definitely 78 degrees.......works beautifully.

Jim
FSUIPC v.5.152
FSC LINKED YOKES
CFY MOTORIZED TQ (GOLD) v.3
3x OPTOMA 4K PROJECTORS & NATVIS 220deg DISPLAY
IPECO 737 CAPT & FO SEATS
Banananav

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
I’ll give it a go tomorrow.
Chris

Jetmax 737-800 & TQ
P3D 4.5 HotFix2
S-A 1.961
FSUIPC 5.152
kand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing you guys wont be able to change (unless you re-engineer sim1.dll) is the ridiculous sliding friction value within SIM1.DLL

M$ in their wisdom and all subsequent iterations have the sliding friction of concrete/asphalt set at 0.63...... what does this mean

Well, in all turns on runways/taxiways, the nose wheel will slide/skid irrespective of how much steering angle you set

I have my sim1.dll set to 1.0, no sliding
Banananav

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your inputs.
I see that SA1.96 changes the tiller angle to 78 deg - and with a straight slope in FSUIPC works very well.
Kand - how did you edit the sim1.dll please ?
Chris

Jetmax 737-800 & TQ
P3D 4.5 HotFix2
S-A 1.961
FSUIPC 5.152
MichaelYSSY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that if you make sharp turns at slow speed <10kts you get no skid or slip. If wet, even slower.
This translates to the recommended speeds for turns in real aircraft.

Works for me anyway

Cheers
Michael
kand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its difficult to edit sim1 and you can really mess things up as it contains a lot of the sims hard coded values, it was never intended to be user defined. If anyone is interested PM me, I may write a how to post at FSdeveloper but every time a new release of p3d is made, all of the bytes offsets change also!

Michael, your right in that under 10kts the sliding is not really noticeable, but take off and xwind landings the skidding can become an issue, it has been a well documented problem from FSX.

Basically, Sim1 contains the surface and contamination coefficients for wet,snow,ice on rolling/braking/sliding, the default for wet is a 10% degradation . A lot of aircraft designers are now getting around the sim1 issues in P3d by using the PDK, even scenery designers are now altering braking values on the ground for their scenery via this tool. This wouldn't be an issue provided sim1 was correct to start off, unfortunately its way off on some things.

The good news is that Asobo (FS2020) seem to have answered one of my posts in that they say there are new ground physics (new rubber friction coefficient) and better environmental modelling correcting some long standing bugs.... fingers crossed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> Sim-Avionics Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: