Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index Flightdeck Solutions
Technical Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advise needed on MIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: advise needed on MIP Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been studying airliners.net and pics from fellow builders but need some advise on the following.
The 737 MIP on airliners.net seem to be rather flat, although there are oa few panels that are higher than the rest of the MIP. But I noticed that the rims around the PFD/ND and EICAS displays are at the same "level" as the MIP (they don't "stick out"). Only the panel with the standby instruments seems to be a little lower/deeper than the rest.

Now if I watch pics from fellow builders I see a lot of rims that lay "on top" of the MIP (so a little higher than the rest).

Why is this so? Is this easier to build? What should I choose? Mind you I want to build the MIP in MDF (with FDS panels).

Legal
neuman5022

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal

From some of the Pics I have - they are sticking out from the MIP face.

I guess these are different versions mybe.

Isaac
brissydave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi legal.
i made my mip from real dimensions and routed the pfd frames etc etc.
it came out perfect...real nice.
BUT!!!....it was the worst thing i could have ever done, i really should have bought one. ive discovered that the bit i look at most when flying is the mip, if there are any little bad bits they will stick out like dogs bollocks. also...i have made an entire sim shell and interior around my mip, so that means i cannot swap it for an fds one cheaply, as the sizes are different. so i am stuck with this home made mip forever. it looks nice but there are things i didnt think about ,and it will never look as good as a professionally made one.
at the time my mip was a lovely thing to look at, but then as time goes on there is no comparison to the signature one, and i am still crying myself to sleep.

legal....im actually really really p*ssed off that i tried to save money by not buying a mip.

i reckon ....try to save money on EVERYTHING else....but mate...not on the mip.
Michal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject, what did you use to build your MIP?

As I have no choice but to build mine for a 727, some ideas and tips would be helpful.

I'm starting by drawing the panel out on .010 sheet styrene. I thought about keeping this as the main panel surface but for now it's just preliminary. I may use aluminum and have it fabricated from the plastic pattern.

I thought about using the plastic MIP pattern over 1/8" plywood and re-inforce it from behind with aluminum angle. That would be cheaper and easier to work, but not as strong or good looking as the aluminum.

The downside to the plastic/wood laminate is that the aluminum reinforcing angle may interfere with monitor placement for the steam guages.

Any thoughts my friend?
dc6driver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michal,

I just sent you a PM regarding your B727 MIP.

Fritz
pcos
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: OPEN Area Reply with quote

Guys,
Please move this sort of thing to the OPEN FORUM area...
this Forum is for FDS Product.. not discouraging any "do it yourself" here but this section of the forum is for our product and related support.
LEGAL... several posts from you lately should be over in the OPEN area please.. I would rather you guys take this over there than delete what is likely useful info
Simple courtesy.
PC
Legal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

sorry. Embarassed
Posted a little hasty and since I'm working with FDS panels not too far off track (I thought). Will try to be more precise in the choice of forum.

Legal
Legal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brissydave wrote:
hi legal.
i made my mip from real dimensions and routed the pfd frames etc etc.
it came out perfect...real nice.

Yeah mate, but I don't have all that space that you guys have down under (I mean in Australia of course) Laughing . So real dimensions are out of the question.

L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Flightdeck Solutions Forum Index -> FDS Support All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: